pl_hohoho pre-alpha test map ready!

Dragonhill

Thread Junky
=(e)=
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
772
ok folks,

we have a pre-alpha test version of the map ready. we need to verify that all 3 stages work correctly and there are no spawn issues. the times have not been adjusted nor are the final visuals in. I also want to make sure we can package up all the custom content. the map uses many new models (they are not final, but do give a general idea). I have also tried to make a new surface called 13Dice. Normal ice does not actually make you "slide" hopefully ours does.
also..there should be no red "error" entities or pink/black checker board. if there is please post here.

the map is big. please try to down load it and place it in your maps folders located in tf2. All the files are in the map. no further unzipping should be needed.

HoHoHoooooo!

map can be found
here.

~D
 
ok folks..looks like the custom textures did not take..soo..i just made a new version,,so everyone that just downloaded the map..delete it..and get a new one in about 15 minutes
 
After a quick play test on blue these are my thoughts

looks good. Did not see any Errors. Besides the game telling the players to defend their intelligence located in the basement.

On stage 1 the snow man is looking at the red spawn. So unless the wall is interesting or there will be a window there I would of built a snowman looking at the action.

If 13Dice is placed on the last stage. I do not know if it was working. I kinda slid but if it would be possible I think more sliding since the effect is kinda lost.

Will be playing again and messing around with it.
 
Last edited:
Just played through the map, it looks like it will be fun, especially the final stage. That town looks SWEET =D

I didn't really get a sliding feel when I walked on the ice, it was a little hard to see where it was at times but I liked the visual on it overall. I love the idea of the iced over pond, it looks like a great second attack method.

At the very beginning of the map, next to Blu's spawn, there is a very VERY annoying flare. It literally blinds you the further away you are from it. Santa's running some megawatt bulbs or it's just set too intense. I also noticed in stage three that there are two suns. There was a place in stage two where I could see under the ground and into the black abyss. I'll post screen shots tomorrow.

I would have liked to be able to rocketjump on top of the giant snowman in the first part, but I'm just a doofus that likes to jump on things. I would have also enjoyed getting on top of the buildings in that first section since the battle seems to be tightly packed. In part 1 there was a building (second one on the left) that had no entrance except to jump to the upper level and go down the stairs to get to an empty room. There is also a building in part 3 (very first street for Blu, last building on the left) that has no entrance on the bottom floor. The only thing in that building is an ammo pack.

As a soldier/demoman I really like being able to jump on top of things, there are a few sections of the map that I could get up onto (I liked the shortcut in part 3) but I felt like I was running into too many invisible walls. Maybe adding aesthetic floors to make the buildings higher would keep players like myself from attempting to jump onto buildings that you don't want them to be on. It would make the map look a little more spectacular (a town that's building upwards, giving the player a feeling of being in a bigger world) I really liked the large building around the 3rd checkpoint in part 3. I wanted to explore it. I also really enjoyed the bridge and was hoping for a little more complexity around that section. (Vertical battles in multiple rooms)

Overall it looks like it will be a very fun map to play.
 
Your side projects always tend to be awesome. I can't wait to get home and give it a go!
 
I'll look at it right when I get home :), be sure to let me know when you have a time for testing it on a server :thumbup:
 
Ran through this, I'll upload all my screens later with what I think needs done, in the meantime, some console errors:


Empty ambient_generic (ambient_generic) at 6264.00, 5584.00, 712.00
func_breakable (func_breakable) at (-480.000 2688.000 308.130) using obsolete or unknown material type.
func_respawnroomvisualizer(func_respawnroomvisualizer) was unable to find func_respawnroomvisualizer named 'redspawnroom_2_1'
 
hohoho1.jpg


Crouch jumping is something that sometimes doesn't always work, so make the ledge smaller, for a normal jump, or add a ramp or stairs of some sort.

hohoho2.jpg


Add stairs or a ramp here, letting blu retreat back if need be, it would be a bad way to die backing up against something you can't get up (I do it with walls all the time trying to shoot people)

hohoho3.jpg


Long sightlines are not good, you need to add more cover, make the track twist and turn some more.

hohoho4.jpg


Only one spawn exit for BLU here, look at goldrush where there are 3 or so for each blu spawn.

hohoho5.jpg


Again Long sightlines.


While playing, I noticed a lack of side routes as well, stage 3 is the best stage you have right now, still, side routes needed, as well as more cover. Looking forward to see what you turn this into.
 
yup, yup.. and yup.

actually,,there are many more things that will be sticking out soon.. but i'm glad i did not see any pink/black checkerboards. may have to wall off that first sniper spawn camp area with more snowblocks.

~D

hohoho1.jpg


Crouch jumping is something that sometimes doesn't always work, so make the ledge smaller, for a normal jump, or add a ramp or stairs of some sort.

hohoho2.jpg


Add stairs or a ramp here, letting blu retreat back if need be, it would be a bad way to die backing up against something you can't get up (I do it with walls all the time trying to shoot people)

hohoho3.jpg


Long sightlines are not good, you need to add more cover, make the track twist and turn some more.

hohoho4.jpg


Only one spawn exit for BLU here, look at goldrush where there are 3 or so for each blu spawn.

hohoho5.jpg


Again Long sightlines.


While playing, I noticed a lack of side routes as well, stage 3 is the best stage you have right now, still, side routes needed, as well as more cover. Looking forward to see what you turn this into.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top