DEBATE: Spawncamping

Angrytony

Rookie
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
35
If you are reading this, you are OBLIGATED to post a reply now. Or you will have 7 years of bad gaming skillz. There seems to be a huge misunderstanding between all eGO members what makes spawncamping, spawncamping vs population control around the spawn area, AKA stopping reinforcements.

Spawncamping in my opinion is killing the enemy AS SOON AS their character creates in the spawn zone before they hit the ground kind. The spawn areas in dod_strand are protected by barrier doors and ladders. Hence there is no way possible to kill an enemy player before he has a CHANCE to kill me. When the enemy is freely moving about in spawn and opens the door, exposes himself in Line of Site, I consider it fair & square.

I'd like some "eGO" members to please enlighten us to where the line is drawn. Maybe the Almighty JohnT has some insight to this.

Thanks,

STONEFURY
 
Not to mention, I am VERY sure that the map creator thoroughly thought about how to prevent unfair spawncamping. I think he did a very good job making the spawn zones. Heck, all it takes is someone from the team to say "Hey, guy gaurding spawn here, flank him." I always get killed from behind when they say I'm stopping reinforcements in their spawn area.
 
Personally i think it is perfectly legal to spawn camp in Strand. I mean the germans kill the allies when the spawn so why cant the allies?
 
I agree, if German sniper can pick off allies on the beach, allies at least should be able to intercept at bunker area. Also, there are alternative routes for Germans to go and flank that guy.
 
This is a good question, and here is how a feel about it.

On strand axis can pick off allies quite easily the second they spawn, this is from experience seeing the spawn counter hit zero only to be accompanied by the ping sound of a head shot and a new spawn counter. In that case there is literally nothing i can do, I don't even have control of my character let alone have a enough time to hit the deck.

Now where allies camp the spawn doors this is completely different, the axis are active and fully control of their characters at this point. There is one exception that I will be getting to in a bit. At this point the Axis player has no less that two sometimes three different routes that he can take. A very short route which is usually the camped one in question and a long route. As I see it the ally camping the door causes the axis members to take a longer route. In military terms this is called a delaying action and is used all of the time. Anyway like most thing the ally is completely safe, he might kill me the first time but rarely a second or third. Just prop open the door throw a nade to get them to run, and when you emerge exactly 5 seconds later you both are on equal ground. That sounds fair to me. If you don't want to fight him that way emerge from another exit then go around and kill him from behind.

Lets get to the exception though (from axis view) the left bunker behind those boxes in that case an allies can lay prone on the opposite boxes and shoot you as you spawn. There are no alternate routes to take and nothing the axis player can do. Camping this spot should not be allowed for those reasons. But you might say but the allies get killed as spawning. Yes i know that part thats part of the difficulty of the map, and if you have 1 or 2 good snipers usually its only 1 person per spawn cycle that gets killed like that, due to good anti-sniper fire.

Hopefully i have articulated my point of view clearly enough, though i will continue to check back this thread if anyone needs any clarification.

Happy Turkey Day
 
[quote1195764104=Stonefury]
Spawncamping in my opinion is killing the enemy AS SOON AS their character creates in the spawn zone before they hit the ground kind.

I'd like some "eGO" members to please enlighten us to where the line is drawn. Maybe the Almighty JohnT has some insight to this.
[/quote1195764104]

You are correct. Not giving a spawner the chance to make a move before being shot at is spawncamping.

Strand is special, because it was made to be as it really happened: allies being killed as they "spawned". But I can honestly say that I've never been killed as soon as I spawned as an ally. I ALWAYS got the chance to move to some kind of cover, but some axis snipers are better than others, only giving you a couple seconds (frylock...). And I've NEVER seen an allied soldier inside an axis spawn bunker. Allied waiting at the door for you to come out is a brilliant tactic that can easily be overcome by those who are paying attention.
 
To add to what Mr Blonde wrote:

This is straight from JohnT, "For eGO purposes: Spawn camping is killing people as they appear, REGARDLESS of where the respawners are killed from.

Players often accuse others of spawn camping. They aren't always talking about the above rule. So, if one of us doesn't actually witness someone REPEATEDLY killing players as they respawn, let it go.

If you have time to do a "DoD Move" before you are killed, you were not spawn camped."

If you have any questions here is the link to the thread http://edgegamers.us/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?50165.post
 
According to the admin guide, once players move around, they're fair game.

However, they should still try to complete the map objectives, and not set up a tent outside a spawn exit.
 
[quote1195770640=AquaFRESH]
According to the admin guide, once players move around, they're fair game.

However, they should still try to complete the map objectives, and not set up a tent outside a spawn exit.[/quote1195770640]

My strategy to dod_strand as an allied assault is to place my charge, and help with reducing reinforcements. Normally I'll go for an 88 or big gun and use my charge...afterwards go to the nearest reinforcement area and cut off any axis so my team can continue with other objectives. Until I am killed, I will stay there. I never run back to the beach to get another charge. Setting up a tent isn't necessarily just camping to piss people off. I'm strategically cutting off reinforcement, even though it might be on the other side of the map.
 
Aqua and Mr Blonde are correct, according to JohnT, the Admin Guide, and many many discussions the eGO policy always has been:

Spawn camping is defined as being in a location in which you can see the players actually world spawn / appear at the spawn. If you can see a player appear then you are spawn camping - weather you wait to shoot or not. Killing people in spawn is ok as long as you cannot actually see them as they enter the round.

That has been the policy for some time, and really, there is no debate - that is how the clan feels.

There are two exceptions - the alied spawn in Strand due to the map being implemented to allow spawn camping for realism - and Orenge maps, where you are allowed the camp the first flag which is the same as spawn camping.

This topic has come up in about every forum including private higher level forums several times. You may want to search for them and read them if you want to see people's opinions because at this point it is unlikely that things will change - its already been discussed.
 
GreenMonkey, actually a debate does exist. I'm being yelled at by =e= and eG members for my "spawncamping" issue and I think the topic needs to be revisited and discussed so everyone knows whats going on. An easy resolution to this problem is to have this rule/issue posted on the MOTD when logging on the server and describe what spawncamping is on the server. Or just add in the MOTD:

# Spawncamping does not exist in dod_strand. So don't complain about it!

Easier that way, seriously
 
spawn camping is killing people as they appear, there is a big misunderstanding of spawn camping i think especially on strand
 
[quote1195773487=Stonefury]
GreenMonkey, actually a debate does exist. I'm being yelled at by =e= and eG members for my "spawncamping" issue and I think the topic needs to be revisited and discussed so everyone knows whats going on. An easy resolution to this problem is to have this rule/issue posted on the MOTD when logging on the server and describe what spawncamping is on the server. Or just add in the MOTD:

# Spawncamping does not exist in dod_strand. So don't complain about it!

Easier that way, seriously
[/quote1195773487]

Stonefury I was their during that incident, actually I believe i was the one who was told to yell at you. Not really yell but advise you against doing it anymore. On further discussion during the game we decided that the original warning we gave you was in error. I was told that the eGO's would be discussing the situation though i don't know if any discussion has taken place as of yet. All i can advise you is that if your doing it and an eG or an eGO tells yo to stop just stop and continue to cap and play. I made a fairly large post up above but it seems people skipped over it, giving me in depth view of how i feel. Your not in any trouble, but your right we should discuss this and have a written rule down for admins to follow.
 
The issue of spawn camping differs from map to map. I totally agree with Stonefury's position on Strand: it is impossible to spawn camp there due to the cleverness of the map design. Besides, in the invasion of Normandy some 60 years ago, I don't think that the Rangers accused the Wehrmact of spawn camping :P. Nevertheless, it is a major issue on some other maps. I hate to bring up the long debated Orange maps, although I feel obliged to give such an example. It should be taken into consideration by the admins to make an arbitrary decision; for example, if everyone is cool with spawn camping, then it's alright, but if it is a pure one-sided massacre like on some infamous maps, it can quickly empty a server. Suffice to say, it all depends on what the admin says, and more importantly what the overall mood of the players is.

But that's just my two cents.
 
I don't remember names often when people get mad at me, Jack. But I assure you, you didn't make me mad. Noone made me mad, really. It's just annoying when I'm trying to help my team out and I'm getting flak about "spawncamping"

My objective in this post is to make the issue clear to all eGO members so we are all educated on what spawncamping really is. I really hope some of the admins, however, do consider putting the spawncamping issue on the MOTD, so when players do complain about spawncamping, we can refer them to the MOTD.
 
Back
Top