Napoleon: Total War

TxTKiller

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
616
Hello!

Anyone bought or is gonna buy Napoleon: Total War. It would be nice to have someone fighting against in online :)
 
Meh, after the absolute fail that was Empire I don't think I'm going to get it. I've gotten every game from the series up until now, but I don't think I'm going to buy Napoleon.
 
Meh, after the absolute fail that was Empire I don't think I'm going to get it. I've gotten every game from the series up until now, but I don't think I'm going to buy Napoleon.

its not a fail, i enjoy it, multiplayer could have some things fixed, but single player is just awesome.
 
23th on steam... europe :)

I think about getting it but havn't decided yet.

Whoop for multiplayer campaign!
 
its not a fail, i enjoy it, multiplayer could have some things fixed, but single player is just awesome.

I never liked it, at all really. It was missing something that the earlier games had, but I can't place my finger on it. I still play Rome all the time, play Med 2 occasionally, and even loaded up Med 1 to play for a couple hours a few days ago :P, but I never liked Empire, and the Revolutionary time period is my favorite of all, so it is very surprising that I didn't like it.
 
I never liked it, at all really. It was missing something that the earlier games had, but I can't place my finger on it. I still play Rome all the time, play Med 2 occasionally, and even loaded up Med 1 to play for a couple hours a few days ago :P, but I never liked Empire, and the Revolutionary time period is my favorite of all, so it is very surprising that I didn't like it.

well, personaly i find rome tw still the best game in the series, but i am kinda sick of it, i play medieval 2 sometimes, but not very much.
 
I was a bit worried about this release due to how bad E:TW was compaired to the previous instalments. However, I bit the bullet and bought it. Only played for a day but so far seems far better than E:TW, while the single player campaign has been critisized a bit by reviews I like it, you get a very small map (e.g northern Italy, Egypt and part of the Mediterranean) with normal victory conditions (i.e. control these provinces and hold x many in total), if you liked the historical background info in the previous total wars, you'll enjoy following napoleon from childhood (tutorial) through his various victories.

(Note: Below is taken from playing a small part so far, but is compaired to equal ammount of time in other total wars)

Pros:
Not a complete lagfest/waiting half an hour between turns as in E:TW
Units 'replenish' in friendly towns (with a sufficient barracks) with upgrades available to increase rate.
Units suffer lossses from attrition, through the desert and being in cold climate, (can chage depending on time of year)
Time scale is now 1/2 month per turn (makes movement and single turn actions more time realistic)
'Story mode' tells the player about what napoleons goals and hurdles where in a particualr theatre.
Same fun gameplay from E:TW
Time constraints in 'story mode' mean you cannot just sit and build a massieve zurg rush army, or even take over every thing in your way, it may be better to negotiate for military access than to start a war (never came across this in any of the others, just steamrolled through anything in my way)

Cons:
Cant play as minor factions only france / one of the coalition, (a few more in MP but all major european (or Ottoman empire) countries)
Judging by the way 'story mode' panned out it doesnt seem to have much replayability.

Misc:
Map is smaller (no americas etc), personally I like this but its personal prefrence, makes sense considering where Napoleon had influence.
Generals can a.Be recruited anywhere (including travel costs :P) b.Will be multiple starred General with existing traits.
Napoleon cannot be killed just 'knocked unconsious and returned to his pokeball' to be fine within a couple of turns at your capital. (can be used to have a strong unit that can be sent into suicide missions, or to transport him faster than normal)


Once ive got a far bit into the mastery of europe bit (main open world campaign) i'll post back.

Judgement so far:
Better than E:TW
Not as good as M2:TW (think melee weaponary works better imo)
No-where near as good as R:TW
 
well if anyone wants to play add me and also look for me and slow joe on vent we both play that alot !!!
 
I have been playing Napoleon for a time now. So the thing about campaigns i hate is: 1. Small maps. 2. Not enought time. I'm a guy that build my economy and make big armies and then ill wait for the other factions to declear war against me.
 
I think I'm gonna buy it.I love all total war games but I would also like to see some thoughts here before I decide.If it is very similar to Empire Total War I think there is no reason.
 
It may be just me, but any entry into the TW series needs to include primarily melee weapons. Perhaps they'd do something completely insane and develop a fantasy one, but I know that's primarily for the modders.
 
I have been playing Napoleon for a time now. So the thing about campaigns i hate is: 1. Small maps. 2. Not enought time. I'm a guy that build my economy and make big armies and then ill wait for the other factions to declear war against me.

Yeah I have noticed you need to just charge through the maps somewhat.

@ D.T.S: Technically there are some melee units but they sort of fail when thier running straight at a barrage of bullets :P.

One thing I liked about M2:TW was the number of very diffrent units (flamming pigs vs elephants ftw) but here its mostly firearm infantry with just diffrent stats, thiers other units but they are all very similar (down to the time-period admitadly but not as fun imo). Although a minor thing thats cool is each 'unit' gets called the X Regiment so if you recuit 3 units of milita (and havent recuited any before) they will be the 1st 2nd and 3rd. Dont know why but I really like this.
 
I just LOVE this game. I love the idea of new states in the campaign. If there comes a rebellion or you take a city then it will/can become an own new state. for example i took a city in campaign of the coalition and i had option to liberate and made it a protectorate.
 
I'm still on the fence about getting this. I just finally got a computer that runs Empire: Total War with great graphics settings and I am soaking it in.

The biggest draw for me with Napoleon is the Multi-player campaign. I'm going to do some research on that and if it is as cool as I think it could be expect to see a future post setting up a game!

EDIT: Here's the kicker question: How many players can be involved in a multiplayer campaign? Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Here's the kicker question: How many players can be involved in a multiplayer campaign? Thanks in advance!
I think that this game is AMAZING, improved everything from Empire and then some.

I think it depends....You need to play the European Campaigns in order to play with more than 2 ppl...I haven't really tried it because my internet kinda blows for MP. Just add me (If and when you get it), and I'll hunker down one night for an MP game and I believe you can save your online MP games, and continue them later with other people, or the same I think(don't quote me on that). If you guys want to, I'll go into it and figure some things out, and we'll get a little Napoleon total war group going.

I bought a really decent graphics card...JUST for Empire and it ran pretty good. Napoleon runs even better, but MP is stil really really slow for me. Any suggestions??
 

Latest posts

Back
Top