Article ITT I attempt to review every movie I've seen.

I meant the humor of Evil Dead II and its been a while since seeing the original and didnt quite remember all of it since Evil Dead II and Evil Dead are fairly similar (as far as I can recall). I'll be rewatching all three others to jog my memory.

They're similar in setting and sort of similar in plot, but tonally...they're very different movies. The first Evil Dead movie I ever saw was Army of Darkness and I saw that even before I knew that it was attached any series. So in high school when I found out that Army of Darkness was the third movie of the Evil Dead series I ran out and bought The Evil Dead. Needless to say I was more than a little confused seeing that seeing that setting was completely different...but what really threw me off was the tone of the film. It was nothing like Army of Darkness, if fact it was so different that I had a hard time believing that they were part of the same series. Then I bought Evil Dead II and everything made sense. Then again I'm somewhat trying to defend a film that I haven't seen...which is kind of stupid.

Anyway, none of that matters now. According to what was said at SXSW, it looks the this remake (reboot?) is getting a sequel and this sequel is going to get somehow intertwined with the original films, possibly by way of Army of Darkness 2.
 
Charade_movieposter.jpg


Title: Charade
Year: 1963
Country of Origin: US
Director: Stanley Donen

Plot: Charles Lampert is dead, well murdered to be more exact. Other than his widow, four men show up at his funeral, each with 250,000 reasons to want him dead.

Review: Charade is quite the genre twister, melding romantic comedy and a twisty spy thriller into one fantastic final product. Fortunately the tone of the film stays pretty light throughout with out veering towards farcical or overtly serious. It makes the film fun and you're willing to roll with the films numerous twists. This is just a flat out classic, reminiscent of Hitchcock, but with a style of its own.

[9.5/10]
 
Last edited:
Not sure if you've never seen this film or just haven't reviewed it: Swing Kids.

I think I saw half of it once in middle school. If memory serves me correctly it was takes place in pre-war post-Nazi Germany and was about kids who were into swing music more than Hitler.
 
EvilDead2013Poster.jpg


Title: Evil Dead
Year: 2013
Country of Origin: US
Director: Fede Alvarez

Plot: Looks like Mia picked the wrong week to quit shooting heroin.

Review: So yeah, lets talk about ducks. You know the birds that floats on water and quacks. There is a pretty good idiom about ducks; if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...then it's a duck. So lets take what we just learned and apply it to Evil Dead. It sort of looks like Evil Dead, it sort of walks like Evil Dead, but does it quack like Evil Dead?

Yes...yes it does.

The film introduces us to a whole new cast of characters who head out to a cabin in the woods. Like the original film, things go sideways when some idiot decides to read a passage from a book that is bound in skin. Oh and in this one, when they find the book it is wrapped in barbed wire and written on its pages are warnings pleading with the reader not anything out loud. What follows is sort of a remix of the first two movies. Arms are cut off, trees rape, someone gets locked in the cellar, demons threaten to swallow souls. You, know the basic things we've come to expect the Evil Dead series.

Where the film differs, and where I'd say it falters is how it structures its scares. Here is an example, one member of the party goes off on her own. She sees two things that tell us what's about to happen with her. We see an image in a mirror and we see the necronomicon flip to a page that shows exactaly whats going to happen to her. So it's not really all that shocking or scary when she gets Possessed and and begins to
cuts off her own face
. In fact, most of the scares in the movie are telegraphed well before they happen. I have to say, it's the ending that really makes the film. It goes for broke and it manages to pull of a crazy, gory and fun finale.

Some die hard fans probably wont like this one. It lacks the comical tone Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. It doesn't have that cheesy budget feel, there aren't any memorable catch phrases or any Bruce Campbell. If you're looking for that, Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell will probably more up your alley, a move that I've been calling Evil Dead 4 for a while now. But for anyone who remembers the first film, where Ash is a total wus and the only comedy comes from the bad acting and over the top violence; then you might be a little more forgiving.

For me though, this is solid remake, that manages to hit all the right marks. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's better than what I thought it was going to be.

[7/10]
 
Oh man, I've been updating this thread for three years now.


...damn, that's crazy.
 
Senna.jpg


Title: Senna
Year: 2010
Country of Origin: UK/France
Director: Asif Kapadia

Plot: It's about the life and death of F1 driver Ayrton Senna.

Review: I have never watched F1 racing, it just never interested me, but that doesn't matter for this movie. The director paints a fascinating tale about one mans dream, his battle against the internal politics of F1 racing, and how he sort of became a hero of Brazil. It is a well produced documentary and it is worth your time.

[8.5/10]
 
Airplane_II_the_sequel.jpg


Title: Airplane II: The Sequel
Year: 1982
Country of Origin: US
Director: Ken Finkleman

Plot: Yep, it's a sequel.

Review: Airplane II is almost funny. You will be sitting there watching the film waiting to laugh, because the film is always just that close to being funny...but you wont. This is basically a rehash of the original, same jokes, same set up, just not really funny this time around. It isn't bad by any means, it's just really mediocre. You can skip it.

[5/10]
 
Dante%27s_Inferno_FilmPoster.jpeg


Title: Dante's Inferno
Year: 2007
Country of Origin: US
Director: Sean Meredith

Plot: Dante wakes up in a strange part of town and meets a dead Roman poet who takes him on a tour of hell.

Review: Yes, this is a modern retelling The Divine Comedy, and yes it is told by using hand drawn puppets. It is a little weird, but you get used to the set up, the puppets manage to convey enough emotion that you can buy into the plot and the characters. The voice acting is great, there is a sizable cast and they all do a very good job, especially Dermot Mulroney and James Cromwell who voice Dante and Virgil.

It is a nifty production, but it has one fatal flaw...the satirical elements are horribly dated. This movie get pretty political and definitely leans to the left, which is alright I guess, but it is all Bush era satire. It just feels old and a little to on the nose, a little to obvious. Sure there is some humor that works...usually when they satirize historical figures, but it does not make up for what doesn't. In the end, we have a movie with a cool concept, but with a lot of dated satire.

[6/10]
 
American_history_x_poster.jpg


Title: American History X
Year: 1998
Country of Origin: US
Director: Tony Kaye

Plot: A neo-nazi learns about equality through the power of friendship.

Review: As per usual, don't trust my plot synopsis, this is a very serious film dealing with race issues. It's well acted and well shot, has a strong message. Not much I can criticize, other than the film is a little too on the nose, a little too obvious for my taste, but that's a minor complaint. A lot of people hold this film in much higher esteem than I do, for me it's an pretty good movie, not a must see but still pretty good. Of course, you will probably have a different opinion.

[8.5/10]
 
Chronicle_Film_Poster.jpg


Title: Chronicle
Year: 2012
Country of Origin: US
Director: Josh Trank

Plot: With great power comes great...well you know.

Review: So yeah, this is a super hero movie. Three teenagers gain super powers, and of course being teenagers, there is at least one angsty one who lets the power go to his head. It's a story that has been told like a thousand times before...Akira and Carrie are two examples that come to mind. Oh, and it's a found footage movie...god why did it have to be a found footage movie. Sure at the end the whole shaky came thing sort of works, but the rest of the film suffers from its use. Honestly, this is an alright kind of film, it has its problems...like the freaking shaky cam...and yeah its influences are obvious as hell, but I still found it kind of enjoyable.

[7/10]
 
John_dies_at_the_end_poster.jpg


Title: John Dies at the End
Year: 2012
Country of Origin: US
Director: Don Coscarelli

Plot: Solving the following riddle will reveal the awful secret behind the universe, assuming you do not go utterly mad in the attempt. If you already happen to know the awful secret behind the universe, feel free to skip ahead.

Review: You don't see movies like John Dies at the End anymoe. The last one I can think of was Slither and that comparison just doesn't seem quote right. The film is about two friends who get drawn into an interdimensional conflict after taking a strange drug called "soy sauce"...well sort of, it's about a lot of things and that is the main issue of the film. It is kind of unfocused, which might have something to do with the nature of its source material. Originally John Dies at the End was a webserial, which was eventually published into a novel. I am going to guess that the episodic nature of the webserial might not have adapted well to film. Also, the ending is kind of underwhelming, which is disappointing considering how much I enjoyed the rest of the film.

Anyway, this film isn't for everyone. Its weird blend of horror and comedy might not mix well for some people...even through who might normally like horror-comedies. I liked it enough that I'm probably going to get the book and its sequel...so:

[7.5/10]
 
Last edited:
Iron_Man_3_theatrical_poster.jpg


Title: Iron Man 3
Year: 2013
Country of Origin: US
Director: Shane Black

Plot: Tony Stark has a problem...he can't sleep.

Review: So by this point we've all been acquainted with Iron Man, he's a dude in a suit that could easily take on an army. Kind of a boring character if you ask me, which is why I am so happy that this film decided to keep Tony Stark out of the suit as much as possible. For most of the film we spend time with Tony Stark and we get a chance to see what makes him tick. I mean there is still action, but the best action comes when the suit is not in play. There is one scene where Robert Downey, Jr. assaults a guarded compound with weapons he MacGyvered out of stuff he purchased from a hardware store...I find this more entertaining than the final action scene, which is all CGI and crap. I guess what I am trying to say is that this is better than the second movie...and possible the first one as well. It hits all the right notes for a summer super hero movie; it's entertaining, well acted, and well shot. Sure, it has it's fault...but hey I am not asking for much.

[8/10]
 
Last edited:
Recruitmovie.jpg


Title: The Recruit
Year: 2003
Country of Origin: US
Director: Roger Donaldson

Plot: Colin Farrell is recruited to the CIA, where nothing is what it appears to be.

Review: I don't like this movie. It feels like a by-the-numbers spy thriller, something that isn't as smart as it wants to be, a Hollywood knee jerk reaction to the success of The Bourne Identity. It's not terrible, but it's bland...really bland. I guess this is an alright kind of way to kill 2 hours...but you can do better.

[5/10]
 

Latest posts

Back
Top