Jail Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolte

I made one post
Joined
Apr 29, 2010
Messages
3
Hello eGO

I'd like to start by thanking you all for having fun, well-run servers. I've been around for a couple months now and I'm sure these are the best cs:s servers.

I wanted to make a suggestion about Jail because I think it's a fantastic mod and lots of fun to play. I do however struggle with a couple aspects of it and I'd like to request your consideration for change. My goal is to make Jail even more fun than it is.

Jail is quite a bit slower than other mods and maps of course and a lot of time is spent doing nothing. This cannot always be helped since it is inherent in the mod/maps. The pace of the game is largely controlled by the warden and I have found that being warden is not always an easy task.

Things that typically slow down the game (and can make it not fun) is when several CTs constantly complete for the mic and talk over the warden. Not only is this difficult to listen to, but it slows the game down.

Another huge contributor to the detriment of jail-fun is the use of Trivia. Now I know I will get disagreement on this but, hopefully, you can understand that ... after a couple particularly slow rounds followed by being shot in the head for entire rounds at a time is simply not fun.

In my observations, I've also noted that eGO members tend to get ST more frequently (and this is to be expected) but likewise, non-eGO members are more likely chosen for trivia-kills. Trivia puts the fate of T's in the hands of other T's and this does not seem consistent with the theme of the mod. In fact, in section 9 of the rules, a CT carrying a grenade into a group of T's and telling them not to kill the CT because many could be hurt is banned. It is banned because it puts the fate of other T's in the hands of one T. Yet, this is exactly what trivia does.

There is not even distribution or turn taking with Trivia. It is simply a way to reduce the number of T's. I know it is thought that this is important because too many T's are cumbersome; however, when there are more T's, there are also more CT's and it is the conflict, the rebelling or maintained-control that makes this mod fun.

Anything is more fun than trivia ... even couch game, temptation, races, etc.
I would prefer that trivia be banned and, if eGO will not content to that, then I would appeal to wardens to try and keep the mod fun by keeping the rounds moving and by not using trivia because lying on the ground round after round is not fun. I will be told to try and rebel ... yes, i know ... but we all know that rebelling that early in a round frequently ends poorly for a T.

Anyway, sorry for writing a book. Thanks for listening.
-Nick
 
Hey Nolte, it's great you've got a suggestion and opinion but it's best to put these in the dropbox where they are private and can be viewed directly by leadership http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=852

Also trivia has been largely debated over the past few months, in fact we have many threads about Banning trivia, polls to ban trivia, polls and threads by leadership to ban trivia. Pictures of how boring trivia is... you get the picture.

If leadership decides to ban trivia, then you will most definitely be notified. It will be on forums and the Official jail rules will be updated ( A good idea to review it if you haven't already)

Your not on the forums a lot, so just make sure you read the past few pages of threads in each section to prevent double posting . Cool.
 
Hi Wind,
Thank you for replying.
I am glad to hear there are others who do not like trivia.
You're correct that I am not on the forums a lot.
My intent was not to address not only leadership, but anyone who might fill the role of warden, which would include non-leadership.
As for the repeated theme, I'm cool with that. I hope it is repeated time and again until trivia is banned and Jail can move-on with its otherwise awesomeness.

thanks again

ps. Bokk Choi's gf is hawt
 
In my observations, I've also noted that eGO members tend to get ST more frequently (and this is to be expected) but likewise, non-eGO members are more likely chosen for trivia-kills. Trivia puts the fate of T's in the hands of other T's and this does not seem consistent with the theme of the mod. In fact, in section 9 of the rules, a CT carrying a grenade into a group of T's and telling them not to kill the CT because many could be hurt is banned. It is banned because it puts the fate of other T's in the hands of one T. Yet, this is exactly what trivia does.

I'll address these points.

We do discourage members giving ST based on favoritism (Hence why the rule of 1 ST per map for a person was set), but in the end we can't always prevent it. We also discourage singling out pubs during trivia because, as you said, you could die every round not doing anything and that isn't fun at all. There have been discussions and polls over trivia and the final decision to keep it or ditch it hasn't been announced yet. Leadership is already working on new jail rules and there should be some major developments made in the coming weeks.

As for your comparison between trivia and a CT baiting, trivia is just a game in which Ts fairly compete in, while the CT in your example is 1. baiting and 2. free damaging Ts after they die, so they are two very different scenarios. You are able to control your fate by winning in trivia, yet you can't if a CT drops a nade on your face :O

I hope this helps :)
 
To be clear:
ST favoritism is not a concern that I have.
I am willing to remit the grenade reference if it detracts from my message. I was looking for convenient grounds for discreditting the practice.

My only interests are: in keeping the rounds moving and not playing trivia.

I do, very occasionally win trivia ... but, since I do not wish to make the game not-fun for others, I usually stall, rebel, or kill-command ... which is basically the same as losing ... You may say that I control my fate in this way ... which is technically true but my point is that I shouldn't control the fate of others.

I am hoping to get past the criticisms of the placement, redundancy, and technical merit of my post, and have it recognized as geniune feedback from a non-member who is simply trying to help and make jail more fun.

Thanks for reading. Frag ya later (not really, I'm terrible)
-NN
 
That's not really Bokk's gf.

These are good and valid points, and solutions are being discussed constantly to these, and other, problems revolving around the servers. It's just that change is slow and requires lots of thought.
 
Hmm. Pretty good points Nolte. I play jail and most of the points you have showed us are quite true. We are working to get these fixed.
 
While we do want feedback, the Drop Box is a better place to ask/comment/suggest things for our servers / site.

~Locked
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top