Turning off GUI on ubuntu 10

mattM_-

Famous
Joined
Apr 12, 2010
Messages
454
Trying to turn off gnome on ubuntu 10.3. Tried doing /etc/init.d/gdm stop (sudo'ed of course) even tried service gdm stop. Any help? I would give error codes but I am not near it right now
 
press control+alt+F1 to get into a terminal.

login as root and run

Code:
init 3

to get the gui back run

Code:
init 5

as root.

you can also add it as a boot parameter in grub to make it boot into runlevel 3
 
Last edited:
Just curious: why turn off gnome?

he's prolly just using it for a certain console app or as a headless server.

I actually got a few box's where i removed the GUI and X11 all together since it is just running webapps and network shares, and i just do all my administration via ssh since that box has no monitor or keyboard.
 
If you're going to use it as a gui-less server, install something meant to be run without a GUI. Ubuntu does NOT fit under that category. Possibly Damn Small Linux, or *shudder* FreeBSD with a Linux emulator. I personally use FreeBSD with a Linux emulator to run SourceDS on a low-spec computer.
 
If you're going to use it as a gui-less server, install something meant to be run without a GUI. Ubuntu does NOT fit under that category. Possibly Damn Small Linux, or *shudder* FreeBSD with a Linux emulator. I personally use FreeBSD with a Linux emulator to run SourceDS on a low-spec computer.

all linux distros have a fully capable CLI and the package system will let you get any tools you want for it like MC or VIM
 
press control+alt+F1 to get into a terminal.

login as root and run

Code:
init 3

to get the gui back run

Code:
init 5

as root.

you can also add it as a boot parameter in grub to make it boot into runlevel 3

Tried to do init 3 and nothing seemed to happen. I am trying to run a 1.6 server on my linux so I am trying to turn off x11 and gnome and run text based only.
 
You can prevent Gnome Desktop Manager from running by running this command from your terminal:

Code:
sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove

You can also reverse this:

Code:
sudo update-rc.d -f gdm defaults
 
Back
Top