Basic tower build:1500$

QuickSkope

Famous
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
520
Alright, so I've decided to buy my pc earlier than later, but here's the cache:

I'm upgrading and adding as I move along, mostly just adding things I don't absolutely need at the start

So here's what I need for 1500$ (give or take before taxes) :

Motherboard

Video card

Ram

Power supply

Case

Harddrive

Is is windows 7 for 100$, so that brings the budget down to 1400$

What I have is in the showcase.

I'm hesitant to go with the x58 platform over p55, however, I've heard if you sli on p55, you lose USB 3 and data 3.

Also, not sure about gtx 470 vs gtx 460. You can only sli the 460s, one of the main reasons I went to x58, was for tri sli and full USB and Sara 3 with sli.

What would you guys do with the gfx cards?

Total of my showcase if 1540$ (without Mir, tax or pricematch)

Thanks

P.s to look at my showcase go to this link: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=191&threadid=2238371&pagenumber=0&msgcount=0&subpage=1
 
Couple things to add here.

As far as chipset, I have heard that the p55 does have issues with SLI, but I haven't researched it. I believe it supports CrossfireX though...not sure the details (Nvidia>ATI/AMD anyway). That being said, the x58 works just fine and is time-tested.

You have a lot of good equipment picked out, the motherboard is great, the i7 930 is an awesome cpu.


As far as the graphics cards are concerned, having the ability to tri-SLI is alright, but just keep in mind how quickly things are changing in the gfx card world. If you are planning on gradually buying a second and then third card I'd just skip it and not base your decisions on a desire to eventually tri-SLI as technology will be changing quickly. Also how necessary is a tri-SLI with 470s? Just think about that and make a personal decision on it. Could be useful for future games but might be overkill. SLI 460s pack a potent punch. The 460s are great and I've used them in one of my builds, works flawlessly so far. The 460/470 debate isn't huge except for the SLI decision.

As for the case, I can't speak to the cooling capability of it, especially if you go SLI/tri-SLI. My knowledge on cases also doesn't go past Antec/Lian Li - both of which have served me well.


Think over the GPU question and then base your decisions from there. You're picking out good gear though!
 
Last edited:
Ya, I'm debating this too.

Tri-sli=only useful in 3D seround and such.

I don't know, can a 460 run anything on the market right now ok?

I'd like to do that, and see what the new 2011 stuff holds.

As far as amd and new CPUs, games are now almost all about gfx cards, so not much to worry about there.

Anyway, I might just pick up a 470 or 460 to tide mr over till fermi 2.0 and whatever ati has.

I can get a 470 for 280 in the weekly sale, that good enough? Then I cab probably sell it for 250 or 200$ around Xmas.

Good idea?
 
Ya, I'm debating this too.

Tri-sli=only useful in 3D seround and such.

I don't know, can a 460 run anything on the market right now ok?

I'd like to do that, and see what the new 2011 stuff holds.

As far as amd and new CPUs, games are now almost all about gfx cards, so not much to worry about there.

Anyway, I might just pick up a 470 or 460 to tide mr over till fermi 2.0 and whatever ati has.

I can get a 470 for 280 in the weekly sale, that good enough? Then I cab probably sell it for 250 or 200$ around Xmas.

Good idea?
 
A single GTX 460/470 will be able to play almost all games on the market at their highest settings. Throw another one in down the road if you want, or upgrade completely. The nice thing about building your own system is the fact that it's modular. You can pull things out and upgrade whenever you feel like it. It's really a personal choice but either way it will turn out well with the stuff you have picked out. =]
 
Ya, i hope to have that crisp, no video laggy feeling i enjoy im tight, low texture areas, the step out into 2 fort and get 20 fps -_-
 
Ya, i hope to have that crisp, no video laggy feeling i enjoy im tight, low texture areas, the step out into 2 fort and get 20 fps -_-

Lol!

When I was looking at new video cards I compared getting a second 4870 for my system and crossfireing them versus just getting a 460.
From the looks of it, the 460 has better performance in most of the uses I would give it (high definition video and gaming) than two 4870s.
Just a thunk.
 
Ya, i hope to have that crisp, no video laggy feeling i enjoy im tight, low texture areas, the step out into 2 fort and get 20 fps -_-

Ouch, step out of Battlements for me is 120+ fps.

I have a GTX 275 which equals a 4890 which almost equals a GTX 460.

The drivers will get better, but as of now they're still amazing. I say do it, and maybe even an additional 460 later on. Keep in mind it only supports 2-way SLI.
 
280 is a good price. The 460 can be overclocked to match the 470. If I were you, I would get the 460, because GF104 runs cooler and from what I hear overclocks better.
 
Ouch, step out of Battlements for me is 120+ fps.

I have a GTX 275 which equals a 4890 which almost equals a GTX 460.

The drivers will get better, but as of now they're still amazing. I say do it, and maybe even an additional 460 later on. Keep in mind it only supports 2-way SLI.

A 4890 doesn't almost equal a 460. It's in between a 5770 and 460.

Ya, but im un-sure about 470vs 460, guess il pick up a 470 on sale for 280$

I would pick the 460 unless you'll be water cooling.
Especially if it's the MSI Cyclone. Mmm it's so sexy, such a quiet and efficient cooler. 31dba load, with 56C load temps. My god. So quiet, and so cool. :D Plus, you could OC to 850MHz, and maybe even 900 if you have voltage control. :D

280 is a good price. The 460 can be overclocked to match the 470. If I were you, I would get the 460, because GF104 runs cooler and from what I hear overclocks better.

I would strictly recommend 460s over 470s if cooling and noise are concerns. If you just want raw power, pick up a 470 instead.
 
Meh, theres thr new 460 hawk, and it goes up to 1000mhz if overclockes on stock.

Anyway, i might get a 460 if its cheaper by a lot than the 470.

Ya, if its gonna get hot and loud, im not really all for it.

Whats the percentage of performance differebce begween the 460 and 470.
 
Meh, theres thr new 460 hawk, and it goes up to 1000mhz if overclockes on stock.

Anyway, i might get a 460 if its cheaper by a lot than the 470.

Ya, if its gonna get hot and loud, im not really all for it.

Whats the percentage of performance differebce begween the 460 and 470.
You'll be very happy with a 460, I'm not sure you will visually notice the difference between a 460 and a 470. Even if you did, you can just add on another 460 which is much better than a 470.
 
Meh, theres thr new 460 hawk, and it goes up to 1000mhz if overclockes on stock.

Anyway, i might get a 460 if its cheaper by a lot than the 470.

Ya, if its gonna get hot and loud, im not really all for it.

Whats the percentage of performance differebce begween the 460 and 470.

MSI Hawk's aren't guaranteed 1GHz core. That's only a select few. -.-
I'd say the 470 is probably 10, maybe 15% better in performance than a 460. But, you can overclock that difference. 460s OC so much better, you could probably hit 850 core easy, and that would match a 470.
 
quickslopebuildv1.png


Total: $1,449.92
that is in CAD
 
Last edited:
Well, the 470 is 256 bit and has more shader modules and rops, that mean anything to anuone :/
 
Well, the 470 is 256 bit and has more shader modules and rops, that mean anything to anuone :/

256 bit refers to the width of the data bus. Basically this means that 256 pieces of information can be carried every clock cycle. This means more data will be transferred at the same frequencies compared to a narrower (smaller) data bus.

Shader modules are basically miniature processors. They take the smaller calculations the graphics card has to process. Having more of them means the processor doesn't have to take as long to process the same number of calculations.

Also, there are 2 versions of the 460. One has a 178 bit data bus (I think), and the newer version has a 256 bit. If you look at a 460, you probably would want the additional performance the better card gives (It is about 20-40 dollars more).

Hope this helps!
 
Last edited:
Ya, its 196 or 256 bit, and 758 mb and 1024 mb respectively.

I dont know, i mean your telling me to get the 460, when the 470 is the same price if i find a sale, if not, its like a 75$ differance. (btw they both comr witg metro 2033 and just cause 2, abd the 470 comes with mafia II, abd is external exaust.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top