Freezing On Startup

That puts you in the same boat eventually, like i said before, if things start to eat up (it will) your power supply will not provide enough power eventually. you really need to spend a few extra bucks, if you wait you can find a newegg shell shocker deal with a pretty nice one for cheap.

its a fine PSU, and it'll give him about a year or 2 of good use.... but I agree, for a few dollars more, you can get a 400-500watt unit that will last much longer.

here is a list of 400w PSUs on Tiger Direct.. prices start at $20
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:1078|&Sort=4

and

500w PSUs starting at $20
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...p?CatId=1079&name=500-Watt-Plus-Power-Supply&

again, in the end, its your choice.. but I think Tiger Direct has some great prices.
 
Last edited:
Whoa. This thread kinda took off while I was gone. :blink:

I am playing a game right now the GPU is up to 120

Is that in Celsius or Fahrenheit? That is important.

look in your case where the power cord plugs in... that box is your PSU.. on the side it should have a Wattage.... probably 350-400w ....

for a 500watt power supply.. anywhere from $35-65 ... stay away from Ultra, just an FYI, their PSUs are garbage.

I'd say more like $60-100 for a good one that won't explode on you.
Never never never skimp on your PSU.


Coolmax is garbage. Stay away from them.
The Thermaltake PSU Silent listed is decent.
 
Just adding your gpu temps were perfectly fine, they are rated at around 120celsius before anything bad happens so 40c is completely normal especially for a lower end card without great cooling on the card or in the case.

I believe if your comp is running stable now it was something changed in the bios; so use it for like a week or so and see it happens again, if not don't waste your money on another psu.
 
Phobus makes a good point for the most part. I have had a psu explode when test testing, i never want to see that much orange and purple again. Id rather not make a suggestion on a good psu if you want to stay inexpensive, im a big fan of corsair. A psu is not something you should skimp on. If it blows your more likely of jolting everything on board than anything else in my opinion. Dont take this the wrong way, but you dont want to build a performance car with plastic parts.
 
Back
Top