New Build

you dont understand do you....

to put out 1000w at 80% effeciency, you would need to draw 1200 from the wall.

380w is the DC output of the PSU. to output 380w it has to draw 450w of AC from the wall.

Go do some research before bashing me kthx?

why do you need a 1000w psu to power 450w rig?


And ATM DDR3 is CHEAPER than ddr2. So what sense does it make to buy something that is outdated and more expensive

Dude it's not about wattage, it's about amperage. Sure the combined 12v amperage is 380, but would you still trust your 600 dollar gaming rig to a 40 dollar power supply? Think about it. Plus with split 12v rails you don't get clean power. If you want a dead video card 6 months down the line, sure go buy a 40 dollar power supply to power a GTX460.

And when I was selecting a power supply for my Core i7 rig, a Corsair HX850 was 180 dollars with my employee discount, this Cooler Master 1000 watt modular supply was 150 with employee discount. 80 amps > 70 amps. Plus gives me more than enough headroom for future upgrades.

You can NEVER go wrong with more power. And you really shouldn't be spending really under 60 bucks anyways for a power supply for a gaming rig, again you usually don't get APFC, modular cabling, or sleeved cables. And usually you get made in China capacitors not Japanese capacitors, which tend to blow up anywhere near full load.
 
Dude it's not about wattage, it's about amperage. Sure the combined 12v amperage is 380, but would you still trust your 600 dollar gaming rig to a 40 dollar power supply? Think about it. Plus with split 12v rails you don't get clean power. If you want a dead video card 6 months down the line, sure go buy a 40 dollar power supply to power a GTX460.

And when I was selecting a power supply for my Core i7 rig, a Corsair HX850 was 180 dollars with my employee discount, this Cooler Master 1000 watt modular supply was 150 with employee discount. 80 amps > 70 amps. Plus gives me more than enough headroom for future upgrades.

You can NEVER go wrong with more power. And you really shouldn't be spending really under 60 bucks anyways for a power supply for a gaming rig, again you usually don't get APFC, modular cabling, or sleeved cables. And usually you get made in China capacitors not Japanese capacitors, which tend to blow up anywhere near full load.

It's an Antec PSU. Those are of good quality. I would trust my computer components to it, regardless of price. So you're saying that the more expensive it is, the better? What if you can find, let's say, an X-750 (arguably the best PSU in the <750W range) for around $50? Would that make it a bad powersupply?

Wait a minute. Employee discount? Those are still kinda high prices. Do you work at Best Buy or Future Shop? :glare:
 
It's an Antec PSU. Those are of good quality. I would trust my computer components to it, regardless of price. So you're saying that the more expensive it is, the better? What if you can find, let's say, an X-750 (arguably the best PSU in the <750W range) for around $50? Would that make it a bad powersupply?

Wait a minute. Employee discount? Those are still kinda high prices. Do you work at Best Buy or Future Shop? :glare:

Antec are only mid range. Most of their products have split 12v rails and they have always been expensive for the money. I pretty much only buy Corsair, certain CM, and OCZ. Of which Corsair doesn't really make their own PSU, Seasonic makes them which makes them top notch. CM I buy are high end, and OCZ has decent, but I also buy PC Power and Cooling. Thermaltake is horrible except for the Toughpower. Doesn't leave much else left brandwise.

I work at Microcenter, employee discount is decent.
 
Antec are only mid range. Most of their products have split 12v rails and they have always been expensive for the money. I pretty much only buy Corsair, certain CM, and OCZ. Of which Corsair doesn't really make their own PSU, Seasonic makes them which makes them top notch. CM I buy are high end, and OCZ has decent, but I also buy PC Power and Cooling. Thermaltake is horrible except for the Toughpower. Doesn't leave much else left brandwise.

I work at Microcenter, employee discount is decent.

Oh. Microcenter. Not much better. :closedeyes:

Antec is better than you think. The point is, that powersupply is good enough for that build.
 
I just want to interject that Antec is across the board in their PSUs, however, their PSUs usually fall within average to above average, but they do have some really crappy PSUs on the market that do die (I got one as proof).

I think someone made an analysis of reliability, quality, and cost of all the PSU manufacturers on the Internet, though it's somewhat dated now.
 
thanks everyone for the comments , although i didn't expect kinda of an argue about some of the components ;)

i will wait a month or two to get a better rig with better components.


but i got the idea.
 
Antec are only mid range. Most of their products have split 12v rails and they have always been expensive for the money. I pretty much only buy Corsair, certain CM, and OCZ. Of which Corsair doesn't really make their own PSU, Seasonic makes them which makes them top notch. CM I buy are high end, and OCZ has decent, but I also buy PC Power and Cooling. Thermaltake is horrible except for the Toughpower. Doesn't leave much else left brandwise.

I work at Microcenter, employee discount is decent.

your psu isnt made by Seasoinc

Seasoinc only makes the CX400, VX450, HX520/620/650

CWT makes everything else, Corsair has never made their own PSU

PCP&c is a total carp brand

They used to be good when they were not owned by ocz. (circa 2005)

Now they are made by OCZ, and they are just as crappy as OCZ psu's

Good psu brands:

Thermaltake (only toughpower, yay you agree!)
Corsair (GS are ok, and CX500/430 are crap, TX750 is crap at high loads)
Seasoinc (all are good)
Antec (every thing execpt basiq are excellent)
Evermax (all are decent, revolution are excellent)
silverstone ( some of the older models have low-ish efficiency)
Coolmax (CUQ-1350B ONLY, everything else is REALLY REALLY BAD)
XFX (all are good, manufactured by Seasonic)

I may have missed some, but these

about multi rail PSUs I could explain it here, have a read here:
http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/761202-single-rail-vs-multi-rail-explained.html

@snipe eye, all brands have failures, Antec is no exception, for the most part they are very reliable PSUs
 
Last edited:
your psu isnt made by Seasoinc

Seasoinc only makes the CX400, VX450, HX520/620/650

CWT makes everything else, Corsair has never made their own PSU

PCP&c is a total carp brand

They used to be good when they were not owned by ocz. (circa 2005)

Now they are made by OCZ, and they are just as crappy as OCZ psu's

Good psu brands:

Thermaltake (only toughpower, yay you agree!)
Corsair (GS are ok, and CX500/430 are crap, TX750 is crap at high loads)
Seasoinc (all are good)
Antec (every thing execpt basiq are excellent)
Evermax (all are decent, revolution are excellent)
silverstone ( some of the older models have low-ish efficiency)
Coolmax (CUQ-1350B ONLY, everything else is REALLY REALLY BAD)

I may have missed some, but these

@snipe eye, all brands have failures, Antec is no exception, for the most part they are very reliable PSUs

Corsair's GS series is poop. It gets beaten by the HX series in some cases...
 
what? of course it gets beaten by the HX series, HX is a higher model
 
Back
Top