Computers

Smilodon

EGO Addict
Joined
Aug 3, 2010
Messages
1,202
My computer is falling a little behind in the means of gaming.:crying: So i'm looking at buying a really good gaming computer that's not extremely over priced like the Alien computers. If anyone has any suggestions please post a response.:)
 
o_O I will do that then

This will be fun :)

Motherboard:
asus Rampage III extreme best overclocking board you can get.

CPU:
i7 980X no brainer, 6 cores, 32nm, unlocked multiplier.

RAM:
patriot Sector7 nice ram, good brand, lowish timings 12GB

Video card(s):
GTX 480s in SLI Here i suggest waiting a week for ATi to release their new cards, then prices on 480s should drop.

SSD:
Gskill pheonix pro fast saandforce based SSD. 80GB for boot drive+some games

HDD:
samsung F3 (they are up in price today for some reason, normally they are 60$)

PSU:
enermax evolution85+ 80+ silver 920w, way more than this build will ever draw, but some headroom is nice.

case:
HAF 942 (AKA HAFx) nice case, great airflow. *Note if you dont like the look, just pick annother case, this component doesnt affect performance*

soundcard:
Asus Xonar excellent sound card. I would be forced to kill a puppy if you didn't buy a sound card with a 4k build

subtotal:
$3,711.62 shipped

Now we need to discuss cooling.

Do you plan on overclocking?

are you comforable with water cooling?

A nice watercooling loop can be had for
$200.

or we can just go with air cooling (a perfectly fine solution as well) and get this:

noctua d14

total with air cooling:
$3,811.93

total with water:
~4000
 
Um....wow.:w00t: I have a big old network chassis that I could gut. Would all the new things like the motherboard, cards and stuff fit in the old slots and rails?
 
Last edited:
I doubt it.

Most server chassis are made for server boards which are a different size than desktop boards

Do you like that build, is there anything you think you want me to change about it?
 
All that would be perfect build.:) Could I just PM you if I have any questions in the future?
 
Let me do a build before coming to a conclusion.
I'll do it when I get on my computer.
 
inb4 phobus tells you that 12gb of ram is useless.

It is not, you will eventually be happy that you have it. In a few years, 6gb will be out of date.
 
inb4 phobus tells you that 12gb of ram is useless.

It is not, you will eventually be happy that you have it. In a few years, 6gb will be out of date.

I doubt it. 64-bit programs can address up to something like 16,000TB. Plus most programs are written for 32-bit OS's because it was the most common (back in the XP days), so most are 32-bit. 64-bit won't be fully utilized for a while. Most people still think XP 32-bit is the best. Even on the Steam hardware surveys, XP 32-bit is the second most popular, with Windows 7 64-bit barely ahead.
 
This was fun to do.
I did go a little crazy with the harddrive set up. But hey, with 8TB of storage (or you could go with 4TB in a RAID 0+1 array), you're not going to run out any time soon. And if you're not comfortable with doing a RAID 0 for your OS drive(s), then just get the Vertex 2 120GB instead.
egorando.jpg


Also, about cooling:
If you're going to overclock, get the Prolimatech Megahalems with a Gentle Typhoon that matches how much sound you want it to make.

I will admit, reflex's build is the better performer. But his is a good chunk more, and that extra performance would only be noticed in benchmarks. They would perform the same in every game (minus Metro 2033 @ max @ 2560x1600). Mine also uses quiet a bit less power.
Both would be good computers, no doubt. His is slightly better in performance, and has more bells and whistles, but also costs a lot more. It's your decision.
 
This was fun to do.
I did go a little crazy with the harddrive set up. But hey, with 8TB of storage (or you could go with 4TB in a RAID 0+1 array), you're not going to run out any time soon. And if you're not comfortable with doing a RAID 0 for your OS drive(s), then just get the Vertex 2 120GB instead.


Also, about cooling:
If you're going to overclock, get the Prolimatech Megahalems with a Gentle Typhoon that matches how much sound you want it to make.

I will admit, reflex's build is the better performer. But his is a good chunk more, and that extra performance would only be noticed in benchmarks. They would perform the same in every game (minus Metro 2033 @ max @ 2560x1600). Mine also uses quiet a bit less power.
Both would be good computers, no doubt. His is slightly better in performance, and has more bells and whistles, but also costs a lot more. It's your decision.

where is the sound card?

You cannot tell me you are building a 4k (3k in your case) without one
 
Guys, I just want to build a computer that will last in gaming for as long as I can get it to. An interesting thing is that my computer looks similar to the ones in Valve games.:laugh:
 
Last edited:
Guys, I just want to build a computer that will last in gaming for as long as I can get it to. An interesting thing is that my computer looks similar to the ones in Valve games.:laugh:

um

you could probably build something just for gaming in 2000$ budget
 
I know, I am just getting ideas for as many parts as I can for a computer that will last me a while. Could you give me a list of the $2000 build?
 
Last edited:
I know, I am just getting ideas for as many parts as I can for a computer that will last me a while. Could you give me a list of the $2000 build?

If you can live with 60GB. Probably not, though, so you can drop the sound card and get a few TB harddrives to be good on storage.
It is a little over $2000, but its still good. There is also $50 in MIRs, if you care about those.
smilodon.jpg
 

Latest posts

Back
Top