personally I would get this instead
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...296&cm_re=velociraptor-_-22-136-296-_-Product
what can u do with a 60gb drive these days? install an operating system, a tenth of your games, and half your music collection (unless you use FLAC) lol
-Blue
Velociraptors have a lot of down falls compared to SSD's.
1. They're slower
2. They're louder
3. They use more power
4. They're less reliable
5. They give off a lot of heat
There's all the reasons why you should get an SSD and not a velociraptor.
The Vertex 2 is a wonderful SSD. I have the 120GB version, and it is absolutely stunning. Those of you guys that are suggesting something other than an SSD doesn't know what an SSD is about. The whole point of getting an SSD is to put your Operating system and vital programs on it. When you do that, it speeds up your computer dramatically. You do not need your games on the SSD for your system to feel significantly faster. Having the OS files on tap and with a 0.1ms response time makes your computer responsive like you've never felt it before. I can literally log on to my computer and have every program loaded into RAM and ready to go as soon as I type in my password. Not even Hard Drives in RAID 0 are capable of that sort of speed.
Here's some stats from my 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD:
Windows Startup time: 10-15 seconds
Shut down time: less than 7 seconds.
lag time on opening firefox: none
Starcraft II (installed on my SSD) loads twice as fast and is far more responsive than it was on my 640GB Western Digital Caviar HDD.
After having an SSD for several weeks, I can say without a doubt that the SSD is the single best upgrade I've made to my computer in years. You guys have no idea how slow a traditional HDD is. Even Velociraptors are very slow compared to SSD's with the Sandforce controller (like the Vertex 2). Do you guys remember the first time you upgraded the ram on your computer? The computer went from "slow" to "fast and responsive" instantly. It's the same way moving from an HDD to an SSD.
Seriously, I can keep raving about this all day long, but those of you that have never used an SSD would still not understand what I'm talking about, nor would you believe me.
Whew... now that that's over...
Yes, that 60GB Vertex 2 SSD is a great drive for $100. You should get that as your OS drive. It will make a huge difference. :thumbup1: