Extreme Laptop Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokx

Famous
Joined
Feb 26, 2010
Messages
555
Hello, dear tech-gurus. I really hope you guys can help me with this.

Since my laptop had graphics driver issues (which fixed themself), it was running just fine. Until now, that is. I was going down for dinner, and when I came back it was turned off. I turned it back on, and got a bluescreen halfway through the Windows 7 Loading screen. When it rebooted, I got two options:
  • Startup Repair
  • Start windows normally
So, I first tried to start it again. Same thing as described above happened. Then I tried Startup Repair, which didn't find anything. I tried System Restore, System Image Recovery, and Windows Memory Diagnostic. No results. A friend told me to do "sfc/scannow" in CMD, but obviously that won't work when I'm in System Recovery.

This is where you guys come in. What is wrong with my laptop? I'd really appreciate some help on this.

tl;dr: bluescreen on startup, system restore not working, help.

My laptop is an ASUS X61S, btw.
 
Last edited:
I'm on my dads desktop at the moment. I can't do anything on my laptop atm.

I meant can you not get as far as your DESKTOP, where your icons and wallpapers is?
and are you able to get into administrator mode? I think you have to press f12 or f8 when booting.
 
I meant can you not get as far as your DESKTOP, where your icons and wallpapers is?
and are you able to get into administrator mode? I think you have to press f12 or f8 when booting.

Oh. As I say, I get a blue screen as it's loading, before the login screen.
 
Bluescreen doesn't help- give us the error codes (the hex numbers) of the bluescreen.

And when does it bluescreen- soon as the "windows" loading screen pops up? Or has it alrady finished its little animation thing?
 
Bluescreen doesn't help- give us the error codes (the hex numbers) of the bluescreen.

And when does it bluescreen- soon as the "windows" loading screen pops up? Or has it alrady finished its little animation thing?

It's in the middle of it. Also, how do I find the error code without booting? I can give you the results of System Restore, if that helps?
 
Nokx, you say the blue screen appears with the Windows loading bit, but you can press f8 before while it's booting (black background white text)
 
It's in the middle of it. Also, how do I find the error code without booting? I can give you the results of System Restore, if that helps?

So if I understand correctly, it tries to load windows, then immediately bsod's (however the bsod just flashes and the pc restarts?)?

If that's the case, I highly recommend running memtest86 via a boot disc- I've had the same exact issue, and it turned out my RAM was fried. Any errors on said test are bad- if you get some, see if you can't RMA the laptop or get replacement ram (if its under warranty).

Also, try a windows boot disc- boot off of it- if it crashes while loading you can most probably rest assured its RAM related.
 
If you still have the OS disc, try booting from that and loading the repair utility off the disc. the BSOD should be giving you an error. If you can take a pic of this, it would greatly help. Sounds like a mount error to me.
 
If you still have the OS disc, try booting from that and loading the repair utility off the disc. the BSOD should be giving you an error. If you can take a pic of this, it would greatly help. Sounds like a mount error to me.

If I understand him correctly, he can't actually see the BSOD (besides the whole screen flashing blue) since his system is on autorestart after a fatal system error.
 
Correct, the BSOD is only 'flashing'.

I can't burn discs with this pc, so I'll have a friend do it for me asap.
 
My friend found an OS disc similar to mine, and the issue is gone. Thanks for the help, guys! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top