General Map Ideas?

argentan isnt doing better than kalt by any stretch of the imagination

I agree that its not doing as well as had been hoped. there is definitely room for improvement. But if you look at the server rankings, the last week we had kalt the server ranking was in the bottom 300's around 380. It has rose since then.

You of course could make the argument that kalt could have risen more than argentan has, but we wont ever know for sure.

Like I said, a rotation server is an option I think. But Kalt is not. Even though you diehard kalt fans on here would defend it until you were blue in the face, it was empty all day most days of the week before we cut it. Heck, we can't even get you guys to fill the kalt event. I despise Kalt but I attend that event every week. If you guys could show some real tangible support for Kalt, then maybe it would be thrown back onto the table as an option.

-Blue
 
Last edited:
I miss Kalt... *sniff* Twas my favorite map. So many good times there :`(

Kalt and flash are the only maps I can replay for hours and not get tired of them. I feel 'bleh' about the rest =\

If I asked politely and said "pretty please" would it be enough to bring kalt back?
:P
 
could we switch argentan to a roatation server then? that would be my suggestion. Oh and add 'dod_switch' to the rotation...

..or just make an 'eGO SWITCH 24/7' server!
 
I despise Kalt but I attend that event every week. If you guys could show some real tangible support for Kalt, then maybe it would be thrown back onto the table as an option.

-Blue

timing is everything...and for me personally...the timing sux on the kalt event...lol...i think i can drum up some support for it though...gonna have to see what i can do about that..



I cannot remember, but how long has Argentan been live on our servers?

it hasnt...it was dead when they put it up and its pretty well stayed that way the entire time...
 
Most of our current maps are set in a town. I would like to see a map that is not oriented around street fighting. Something more countryside. Ice Bridge comes to mind, but I'd prefer to see something without snow. Is there anything out there with lot's of ravines and trees and creeks? Maybe a bridge in the middle for a pinch point.
 
Most of our current maps are set in a town. I would like to see a map that is not oriented around street fighting. Something more countryside. Ice Bridge comes to mind, but I'd prefer to see something without snow. Is there anything out there with lot's of ravines and trees and creeks? Maybe a bridge in the middle for a pinch point.

forest would be fun...someone posted a remake of it not to long ago...well...not so much a remake as an adaptation for DODs...
 
I agree that its not doing as well as had been hoped. there is definitely room for improvement. But if you look at the server rankings, the last week we had kalt the server ranking was in the bottom 300's around 380. It has rose since then.

You of course could make the argument that kalt could have risen more than argentan has, but we wont ever know for sure.

I very much have wanted to make that argument, and...
timing is everything...and for me personally...the timing sux on the kalt event...lol...i think i can drum up some support for it though...gonna have to see what i can do about that...
...is so true because I have made that event all but two times, but Friday night is vicious for events--especially since it was during football season.

But Kalt is not. Even though you diehard kalt fans on here would defend it until you were blue in the face, it was empty all day most days of the week before we cut it. Heck, we can't even get you guys to fill the kalt event. I despise Kalt but I attend that event every week. If you guys could show some real tangible support for Kalt, then maybe it would be thrown back onto the table as an option.

-Blue

Psssht we were blue in the face when it started--the map was called "cold" and covered in snow.

However, even though I likely miss Kalt the most and raised the biggest stink about it going away, I think everything that can be said/griped about it HAS been said/griped by now, so we might as well just drop it.

Most of our current maps are set in a town. I would like to see a map that is not oriented around street fighting. Something more countryside. Ice Bridge comes to mind, but I'd prefer to see something without snow. Is there anything out there with lot's of ravines and trees and creeks? Maybe a bridge in the middle for a pinch point.

If I didn't know you, I would swear you were being sarcastic, because there is one near-identical to what you are suggesting--now I just need to pour through my 500 maps to find what it is called...
 
If I didn't know you, I would swear you were being sarcastic, because there is one near-identical to what you are suggesting--now I just need to pour through my 500 maps to find what it is called...

No sarcasm intended. I don't go map surfing outside of EdgeGamers much so I don't have a very good feel for what's out there, except by watching over Toastado's shoulder.

And I agree we could do with a little less of the "K" word around here. Give it time and it will come back, but in the mean time give it a rest.
 
There's definitely pubs out there that see eGO servers and want to play, its just there needs to be maps that they like. Like Dr. Compton said people obviously dislike Argentan, and something should be done with it.
 
Rotation Servers

Posting from personal experience:

Back in the days of 1.3, TheVille.org was the place for me (not unlike eGO is with DoD:S) for great servers + good admins + great gaming community.

They had rotation servers (albeit with the greater number of stock maps) and custom map rotation servers.

I remember 30 minute rounds, no voting on the next map, just consistent changes every half hour.

The two things (for me at least) that made those rotation servers the best was:

1. Variety in maps - you played all maps, and if you didn't like the current one? Take a break, and come back in a half hour. Sure things would die down if a map wasn't popular, but you knew the staple maps (Anzio, Ava, Flash) would always draw players, you just went by the rotation.

2. The community (made up of regulars, members, and admins) were always on.(Just like it is now with eGO)


So... my point is; the community makes the server what it is, no matter what maps are running, and that I have seen successful rotation servers, and I would put a vote towards that.

As they say, variety is the spice of life.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top