Ol' Snaggletooth or The Attendant

mattdabatt

Poster
Joined
Jul 6, 2008
Messages
108
So i cant decide which is more useful. I'll be crafting one of them by next week. The snaggle will make me play sniper more. but attendant i play pyro a lot. So what do you think?
 
well what class are you playing the most? and what do you think is the best set bonus that fits to your gameplay?
thats what i would go with.
 
Don't craft either, take the refined and trade for them.

First off, this^

Second, it really depends on how you play. I find myself not using either too much really. I prefer having my Jarate and my Axtinguisher. Though distracting snipers with the Snaggletooth set on maps such as 2fort can be fun.
 
Don't craft either, take the refined and trade for them.
This.

Then go with Attendant. While there are many times when I miss my Axtinguisher, the speed boost does come in real handy with the Spies.

I have the Attendant and it's never a matter of always using it, but knowing when that bonus truly out weights the alternative. I haven't had a Snaggletooth, so I don't know how often that will weigh better, but IMO, the set bonus isn't worth loosing the Sniper Rifle.
 
This.

Then go with Attendant. While there are many times when I miss my Axtinguisher, the speed boost does come in real handy with the Spies.

I have the Attendant and it's never a matter of always using it, but knowing when that bonus truly out weights the alternative. I haven't had a Snaggletooth, so I don't know how often that will weigh better, but IMO, the set bonus isn't worth loosing the Sniper Rifle.

I actually prefer the Sleeper, it's sort of my rocket jumper for sniper, and I still prefer not wearing the set because I miss Jarate.
 
I actually prefer the Sleeper, it's sort of my rocket jumper for sniper, and I still prefer not wearing the set because I miss Jarate.

You use the sleeper because you fail at getting headshots.

(Its an amazing weapon if you cant get headshots on people)

But i agree with him on the jarate part
 
I never thought the Sniper set bonus was that great. A fully charged body shot one-hits you anyways, so what's the point of headshot immunity?
 
You use the sleeper because you fail at getting headshots.

(Its an amazing weapon if you cant get headshots on people)

But i agree with him on the jarate part

I don't know if any of you have played advanced weaponiser but I really want The Walkabout to be official.
 
I never thought the Sniper set bonus was that great. A fully charged body shot one-hits you anyways, so what's the point of headshot immunity?

It takes time to charge up a 100% charged bodyshot, whereas with headshot immunity you get protection from people that just quickscope headshot everyone.
 
As a pyro lover, I think the attendant is worthless unless you play on lots of prop-hunt or melee-only servers.

The +10% bullet damage is a pain. And who needs speed when you can air blast your enemies into a wall? :)

my 2 cents.
 
Croco-o-style vs. Common Sniper

In a direct Croc-o-style vs. Common Sniper fight, you have a couple distinct advantages. Directly against another sniper, if you stand still--they will instinctively aim for your head. At the very least, you'll be reduced to 1 HP, while you'll plow a single shot through their chest and kill them. Of course, you also have 25 more HP, so if they go for a body shot when they realize you have the Ol' Snaggletooth, they may not have the time to charge up enough to kill you.

In GENERAL, however, things change up a bit. Whereas a good shot could pick away enemies on the battlefield, you'll have a bit more trouble without those crit headshots. As such, it's best to play the Sniper more supportively... try to hammer engineers, medics, etc. with bodyshots, or splash a far-away Heavy with jarate as he charges into battle. The fact that you don't have to fear enemy snipers quite as much works well with this. You won't make as many kills in the end, but you're less likely to lock in a 1-on-1 with an enemy sniper--making you more of a credit to the team.

The Gas Jockey's Gear Overview

The Pyro is an ambush class, and this set emphasizes it. While the Backburner tried to shout out 'look at me, I can ambush too!', all of its various downsides in the past (until it became the most powerful flamethrower) bogged it down. The Degreaser may not crit from behind or do as much damage, but it allows you to react quickly. The Powerjack in hand is something else, letting you overheal when you knock out an unsuspecting enemy with it.

The Gas Jockey set comes with the bonus of 10% more speed at the cost of 10% more bullet damage received. This makes you the second fastest class in the game, even slightly faster than the Medic--meaning those pesky medics outrunning you with the Blutsauger is a thing of the past. Now, of course, that 10% extra bullet damage is an issue... however, remember that you can now overheal with melee kills AND move faster. You'll be less vulnerable to bullet damage than before if you play it right, so long as you're careful. Remember another thing--You can still airblast with the Degreaser, and you should be able to catch up with an airblasted enemy more easily before they can get their bearings straight and hammer them with your Powerjack.

In general, it comes down to how you play Pyro, and sometimes what map you're on. If you're given a map where your enemies tend to spread out wide and you are given several paths, the Gas Jockey set is heavenly. If you're given a map where you can drop directly into enemy lines and maybe even perhaps them, a kamikaze artist such as yourself may prefer the Backburner. If you can't even get close to the battlefield, maybe you're better off with the Flamethrower/Degreaser and an Axetinguisher--or another class.

That's just my opinion anyways.
 
Last edited:
As a pyro lover, I think the attendant is worthless unless you play on lots of prop-hunt or melee-only servers.

The +10% bullet damage is a pain. And who needs speed when you can air blast your enemies into a wall? :)

my 2 cents.

this.
 
Not with the Sleeper.
Not true. A fully charged Sydney Sleeper shot does just as much as a Sniper Rifle, and everyone knows that a fully charged bodyshot packs quite the punch. It does 130-160 damage, meaning it'll kill anything that doesn't have Darwin's Danger Shield guaranteed, while occasionally killing those who do--or at least with their health in critical condition and splashed with embarrassment quite literally.
 
Not true. A fully charged Sydney Sleeper shot does just as much as a Sniper Rifle, and everyone knows that a fully charged bodyshot packs quite the punch. It does 130-160 damage, meaning it'll kill anything that doesn't have Darwin's Danger Shield guaranteed, while occasionally killing those who do--or at least with their health in critical condition and splashed with embarrassment quite literally.

Oh, shows how much I know about sniper. I suppose that's why it's among my least played. Thank you for the information.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top