radeon hd 5870

That's $230... I'd say that's pretty good deal. But wait for other's opinions. Don't listen to me. :P
 
Only a good deal if you

1) Have a 5870 already
2) Have a want for CF 5870s
3) Have a CF ready motherboard and PSU

Else just get a 6950.
 
6950 @ $ 230? You've got to be kidding me.

Yes, the 5870 @ $230 a great deal, and the card is still very powerful. If you have the cash, that's a great purchase.

Compared to that 9800 GTX+ the 5870 is roughly twice as powerful. I upgraded from that too. The difference is night and day.
 
6950 @ $ 230? You've got to be kidding me.

Yes, the 5870 @ $230 a great deal, and the card is still very powerful. If you have the cash, that's a great purchase.

Compared to that 9800 GTX+ the 5870 is roughly twice as powerful. I upgraded from that too. The difference is night and day.

I don't see what's kidding about it. The 6950 is just a better card. Not much, but still better. And seeing as how they're roughly at $250 for the 1GB version, that puts them in the same price range. The only reason you'd need the 2GB version is if you're a lamer and want to unlock it or if you seriously want Eyefinity.
 
I don't see what's kidding about it. The 6950 is just a better card. Not much, but still better. And seeing as how they're roughly at $250 for the 1GB version, that puts them in the same price range. The only reason you'd need the 2GB version is if you're a lamer and want to unlock it or if you seriously want Eyefinity.

This.
And if you're going Eyefinity from a single GPU, you're doing something wrong. You'll simply need more power to run even semi-demanding games at full resolution and settings.
 
You mean people actually want to play semi-demanding games in Eyefinity? What the hell is wrong with them?
 
You mean people actually want to play semi-demanding games in Eyefinity? What the hell is wrong with them?

"LET ME GO PLAY METRO 2033 @ MAX @ 5760x1080 WITH PLAYABLE FRAMES"
Yeah. Stupid.
Or BC2.
Or Crysis.
I could go on, but I think you get the point. lol.
 
well according to gpu review the 5870 smokes the 6850 and bests the 6870 in memory bandwidth, texture fill operations and shader operations.

6850 vs 5870
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=636&card2=613

6879 vs 5870
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=635&card2=613

since i don't plan on doing crossfire i think i will buy the 5870.

Wrong cards.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/reviews/video_cards/amd-radeon-hd-6970-hd-6950-review/

There you go.
 
The 5770 is a solid card and is still a common card for Crossfire and cheaper solutions.

It is impossible to know if it will play BF3 since even the minimum specs haven't been released yet. (Unless they did that while I was asleep and no one told me)
 
the 6000 series cards are not as powerful as the 5000 series equivalent, but yes the 6950 is a slight upgrade from the 5870
 
the 6000 series cards are not as powerful as the 5000 series equivalent, but yes the 6950 is a slight upgrade from the 5870

Yes they are. They just shafted the naming.

5800 - Performance
6800 - Mainstream
6900 - Performance

It's like people comparing SB to Bloomfield. Mainstream vs Enthusiast. :rolleyes:
 
6950>5870>6870>5850>6850

Yea, they really messed with it, but it isn't too hard to understand
 
This.
And if you're going Eyefinity from a single GPU, you're doing something wrong. You'll simply need more power to run even semi-demanding games at full resolution and settings.

I wouldn't say that -- a 1GB 5870 has been a great experience for me -- able to play everything except for Metro 2033 at 6048x1080. I want a little more power for BC2 - I hit dips into the 30s in dx11 on high, but I would consider that game pretty darn demanding (I'm also cpu limited and hit the same dips at 1080p :( ). For what I've been playing lately - TF2, L4D2, CoD4, Amnesia, Dawn of War 2, Wings of Prey, Fallout: New Vegas, Just Cause 2, Darksiders, Dirt 2, Mount & Blade: Warband, Magicka (naming off the top of my head) they all work just fine with all (non-AA) settings on highest. I play with a mix of medium/high for Crysis and Arma 2. The 1GB of vram hits you on MSAA (normally have to drop it down from the highest, depending on the game, but you still get some (turn it off for Crysis) and don't really notice jaggies on such a high dpi monitor). Check my screenshots if you want a look. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying eyefinity on a single card, it's been great.
 
Last edited:
single 6870 eyefinity

works fine for me in everything except BC2. but i think the dual core might be holding me back there
 

Latest posts

Back
Top