Ipad 2 Just Announced!

Silencer67

Active Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2011
Messages
384
What does everyone think of the Ipad 2 that Apple just announced? Here are the specs:

- Dual-core A5 processors to improve speed -- graphics will run up to 9x faster while using the same battery life.
- Front and rear-facing cameras.
- Gyroscope for position-based apps.
- 33% thinner than the first iPad at 8.4mm
- Lighter, at 1.3 pounds versus 1.6 pounds for the current iPad.
- Starts at the same price: $499. So it won't be dramatically cheaper as some had proposed.
- It ships on March 11 in the U.S. -- that's less than two weeks away. March 25 in the rest of the world.

I think with the new A5 processor Minecraft will run perfectly on the Ipad and maybe other developers can even transfer over other games.
 
Silencer, you posted this before I finished my thread. Here's what I was saying:

So looking at all the live and twitter feeds, the iPad 2 will have the same price point as the previous iPad (while quietly liquidating all current iPads)

It will have 2 cameras (one rear camera (?? megapixel), one front 5megapixel camera), gyroscope, accelerometer, dual core A5 CPU, Apple says graphics will run 9x faster, will be able to do FaceTime on it. Also 33% thinner from 13.4mm to 8.8mm in thickness (slimmer than the iPhone 4) Bezel around the screen appears to be the same size. Lighter now, from 1.5lbs to 1.3lbs. It comes in two colors (black and white). Same battery life as the original iPad (10 hrs).

Two big-hyped accessories Apple will be selling is an HDMI-out cable, running in 1080p, and it will also give you mirrored output. The second is a new case called Smart Cover. Wakes up the iPad when you remove it, puts it into sleep mode when you put it back on. Apparently there are small magnets (?) built into the iPad2, so it will easily connect on and off. Comes in 5 colors for the polyurethane case, and 5 for the leather. Poly is $39, and leather is $69.

It will also have iOS 4.3 on it. (Being released March 11 for all Apple products). iPad2 will be released March 11 too.

That's pretty much all the info I was able to put together here. Biggest questions left are how much RAM will it have (currently at 256MB), how fast does the processor run, what is the resolution of the iPad 2 (Xoom is at 1280x800, iPad is 1024x768), and will all remaining iPad 1 be sold at the same price, or be sold at a reduce rate? Ex. iPad 64GB w/ 3G sold at 799 now sold at 599?
 
Besides the App Store and iOS 4.3, for iPad 2 looks very comparable to the Moto Xoom I got. Barely $30 difference in pricing. A very slightly slower CPU, half the RAM, cameras are the same (720p on back, VGA quality on front), except it has now flash. WiFi + 3G model wil have micro SD tray (but not the WiFi only).
 
Besides the App Store and iOS 4.3, for iPad 2 looks very comparable to the Moto Xoom I got. Barely $30 difference in pricing. A very slightly slower CPU, half the RAM, cameras are the same (720p on back, VGA quality on front), except it has now flash. WiFi + 3G model wil have micro SD tray (but not the WiFi only).

Yeah it seems what the Xoom had that the ipad didnt was added to the ipad 2. Ipad has a much bigger marketplace for apps then the zoom.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Original iPads now available from Apples Clearance Store at reduced prices. (Looks like a straight $100 price drop across the entire line)

I was just talking with the misses about getting an iPad 2 and she says if one shows up at the door, than it's hers, so I guess I need to get two of the them now. :\
 
Last edited:
Correction: The iPad2 does not have a flash for the camera built in.

I think the biggest drawback on the Xoom is the Android App store, since developers are making new apps with Honeycomb released now, whereas Apple has hundreds of thousands of apps already working (1 year ahead of the competition gives them that advantage).

I think the Xoom will hold up well to the iPad2. Twice the memory, 200MHz faster CPU, bigger screen resolution (and bigger screen size) versus iPad's lighter weight, huge App store, and the Apple juggernaut behind it. Now if only Google would standardize Android's OS for all manufacturers, the Android app store would grow much faster.
 
Copper, what if it shows up at the back door, or at the window, or garage?
 
Copper, what if it shows up at the back door, or at the window, or garage?

Along that line of thinking I'll just make the 1hr drive to the Apple Store and pick it up myself. I'm sure I wont catch any flak for doing that. :)
 
Correction: The iPad2 does not have a flash for the camera built in.

I think the biggest drawback on the Xoom is the Android App store, since developers are making new apps with Honeycomb released now, whereas Apple has hundreds of thousands of apps already working (1 year ahead of the competition gives them that advantage).

I think the Xoom will hold up well to the iPad2. Twice the memory, 200MHz faster CPU, bigger screen resolution (and bigger screen size) versus iPad's lighter weight, huge App store, and the Apple juggernaut behind it. Now if only Google would standardize Android's OS for all manufacturers, the Android app store would grow much faster.


I agree. Apple has a much bigger marketplace for apps and thats realy its only advantage over the zoom.
 
I own a Galaxy S now which is android and have owned the 3GS. And i have to say the quality of the Apple apps are better in general.

Games run smoother even on a 3GS vs my Galaxy S. But its mostly the developers part........fruit ninja is pretty smooth on my Galaxy S but its even smoother on the iPhone which is sad because the AMOLED screen is beautiful.

Anyways, the iPad 2 looks promising, want to see how much RAM is has though. At $499 for the wifi only model its not too expensive especially with the Xoom pricing.
 
I wont buy something like this until we actually get a full os, and not a walled garden. Cant do 95% of the things I'd use it for anyway.
 
I wont buy something like this until we actually get a full os, and not a walled garden. Cant do 95% of the things I'd use it for anyway.

True. I have a Ipod touch, laptop, and pc. I don't need an ipad but i do like the camera in it. Decent quality. Ipod quality sucks.
 
PewPew, it looks like Apple only double the ram to 512MB.

The original iPads are now under their clearance. $350 for an iPad1 (refurbished) anyone?
 
I still want a Xoom.

Don't need any of this hipster apple stuff.

Yes, i am an android fanboy, shoot me.
 
I can't live without 3g (or 4G when they get upgraded).

hotspot hunting sucks
 
Correction:
I think the Xoom will hold up well to the iPad2. Twice the memory, 200MHz faster CPU, bigger screen resolution (and bigger screen size) versus iPad's lighter weight, huge App store, and the Apple juggernaut behind it. Now if only Google would standardize Android's OS for all manufacturers, the Android app store would grow much faster.

I think people hold too tightly to specs, I feel like the only way companies are to beat apple are to say their device has better specs. While that may or may not be true, does it run better than the iPad? As smoothly? I mean the iPad 1 is pretty fast with pretty much nothing for RAM. Also the price difference is a problem currently no one has matched the price of the iPad with a similarly priced model, (I know the xoom has better specs, and the iPad closest matching only has like a $30 difference) , but the great thing with the iPad is you can choose what model you want, and how much you want to pay. Whereas the motorola xoom has one model, for all.

Also the standardization of Android will never happen, its kind of the point of Android, developers are free to do what they want on it. So to sum up everything I just said specs aren't everything, functionality is.


I wont buy something like this until we actually get a full os, and not a walled garden. Cant do 95% of the things I'd use it for anyway.


You can get the windows tablets I guess, because neither iOS or android is a "full/real OS" what ever that means. Most people don't know this but tablets have been out for about 10 years and were never successful. Minimal sales in the commercial sector, and almost none in the personal one. Then apple came out with their iPad with the "fake os" and now everyone wants one ( a tablet that is, not necessarily an iPad.). I think the reason there are no good "real os" tablets for a couple reasons, the specs needed to run the os, and that "real os's" don't work well with touch. Just ask archos who has had windows xp tablets for years. Both windows and mac are designed to work with a mouse and keyboard, not with a touch screen. You would be surprised how much you can do with "Fake" os's like android and iOS. In fact technically android is linux so it would make it a "real os". I personally just think people will just make an excuse for why a product is bad anyway they can, apple or not.
 
Last edited:
I use my phone to hotspot :P free tethering

The data plans for the tablets suck anyway. And theyre crazy expensive.

I want the Atrix 4G because of the dual-core and the ridiculous battery life.......1930mah battery is ridiculous for a phone.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top