New PC - with a budget

Believer

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
2,883
Hey guys,

I want to build a new PC (case and all) since the one I'm currently using I built back in '07, sporting a non-OC'd dual core.

I would love it if someone could give me a list of the parts that I need (preferably Newegg but TigerDirect, etc. works). My budget is $900. Here are some more details:

- Do not need video card (currently own a 5770 Radeon)
- Want to be able to handle any fairly recent game (BC2, etc.)
- Want six-core processor, preferably AMD
- Want 16GB RAM setup
- Preferably 1TB HDD (no 'green' options--looking for fast speeds), but something around 750GB works


Thank you - I look forward to seeing the results! :)
 
The case is all preference, pick the one you want. Just threw a boring Lian Li in there so you could see the price.

Spinpoint F3's are awesome, get two F3 500GB if you'd like RAID 0.

I chose the UD5 because the Crosshair IV Formula's are sold out. If you don't plan to Crossfire, a much less expensive mobo can be had.

People don't typically build a 6 core rig and keep a card like the 5770 for very long, so I added a nice 750 watt PSU.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you using 16GB of RAM for? Games don't need more than 4GB and only getting 4GB is going to free up about $100.

A 1090T will overclock easier. If you don't mind losing the multiplier, a 1055T is just as good for ~$30 less.

first-1-1.png
 
Last edited:
Hey Believer, the following link will be half that memory, but $100 less (unless you really plan on multi-tasking as well as gaming): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

If you really want the 16gb tho, I would ddr3 1333 version (only $10 more & a lil higher rating), but its choice overall.

I agree on the cases part. Just find a case that has plenty of room for both your video card as well as a decent aftermarket cooler (so u can oc that puppy).

Good luck with your build.
 
Pretty much identical to donks, but I changed out the ram. 1066 7-7-7-18 is kinda bleh.......

1333 7-7-7-21 is a little better.

I also took advantage of a combo deal on the 1090T and UD5



find a case you like and a DVD burner.
 
Pretty much identical to donks, but I changed out the ram. 1066 7-7-7-18 is kinda bleh.......

1333 7-7-7-21 is a little better.

I also took advantage of a combo deal on the 1090T and UD5


find a case you like and a DVD burner.

Ya the speed is below most mobo defaults but 16GB @ 1333 would have put me over $900.

Glad someone found it, I hate paging through the combo deals.

What is he doing with 16GB?!
 
To be completely honest, there is almost no need for 16gb. There isn't enough multitasking you would do to even use half of that. Also, the 6-core...... ehh all I'm going to say 4 cores is enough. If you're using this pc for gaming, there aren't that many games that require a quad core, more notably bc2 does. As I say with all building threads: its not my money, its yours :). Besides the cpu and ram, everything else is pretty good to go

Edit: Theres nothing wrong with the setup, its just if I were in your shoes, I would go quad, less ram, sell the 5770 and get another video card with the profits, but thats just me. Although, if I did have what you might get, I'd try to run Crysis, Warhead, Doom 3, Half Life 2, and doom 1 and 2 all at once. Doom 1/2 at least 5 times each :P Only because I'd have ridiculous amounts of power that won't be used anytime soon, which I believe is what you're going for.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys - love the builds, and I'll probably chop my RAM down to 8GB. I think I'm going with the Phantom case, but need a CPU cooler - any suggestions?

Current build:

 
Last edited:
750TX is ok, but there are much better choices.

The antec TruePower New 750W.

Also, you would be fine with 650W, 750 is a little overboard. especially for a single 5770.....
 
Cool, thanks.

@reflex - would a 750W be suitable if I had dual 5770's, for instance? I can go with a 650W but I figured since I had a mobo that supports crossfire, is this a wise choice? What are your thoughts?
 
Thanks guys! I've narrowed it down to around $822 with everything I need. Now just to plop the Benjamins down!

Btw - Probably gonna name it "Deep Thought 11" :)
 
750 watts is good if you want to Crossfire or SLI and have room.

Honestly Believer I agree strongly with Huckleberry on the 2500K sandy bridge intel cpu and the 1600 memory. I have a sandy bridge build and its a monster, you dont even need cpu cooling i have it up to 4ghz on stock, probably could go higher. ( get the K version to overclock its only 10 bucks more)

I'm having trouble getting my page to show you what I listed so ill just list the parts I feel would be a strong set up, I think I left out the case and power supply because those are worth getting.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 your cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428 memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 disk drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 hard drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574 motherboard.


Only problem with this set up is that there was a recall on the P67 motherboards which are slowing getting replaced back into new egg currently ( sandy bridge set up is only LGA 1155 P67 motherboards currently. I just added in that motherboard for price reference I would not buy that one if you did decide a intel/sandy bridge build. I'm sure in a few weeks there will be some much better ones for that similar of price. Depending if you want to wait that is.

Also look for motherboards that support sata 6.0 slots, the hard drive I listed is 6.0 and 3.0 so its backwards compatible just in case. All about sata 6.0

I have that computer NZXT PHANTOM computer case and i must say....amazing so leave that in your list you wont regret it. If you do get it, consider getting the 230mm fan for the side panel. ( get blue led too its purdy)

Really for your budget and all these suggestions we give you, you cant go wrong you will have a strong computer for sure on whatever you decide. Only reason I'm a sandy bridge whore is because it rivals intels 1000 dollar hex core top of the line cpu in a lot of benchmarks and a lot of sites said AMD can't even keep up with intels quad core series.

Check this benchmarking of the Sandy Bridge and the Phenom Black 1090

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=146

Those numbers don't lie, I did not notice that it had lower is better comparison tests too so the thing beasts even more than I thought.
 
Last edited:
Cool, thanks.

@reflex - would a 750W be suitable if I had dual 5770's, for instance? I can go with a 650W but I figured since I had a mobo that supports crossfire, is this a wise choice? What are your thoughts?

650 is way more than enough for dual 5770s
 
So the quad Sandy bridge performs better than the six AMD?

I might reconsider if that's the case. It's a little more expensive overall but if I do the case/memory combo, it won't be.

I really appreciate the help guys. I've been out of the loop of PC building for years.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top