Best case for <$200?

Ph?bus

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
4,155
So the time has come, and I am thinking of selling my computer again to build a better (Sandy Bridge based) one. So I've all the components picked out, but I have no idea what I want for the case. So, I am asking for your guys' and gals' opinions.

A few things to note:
  • I dislike flashy LEDs, and windows aren't huge with me, either
  • I looooove aluminum. <3
  • Silence is always welcome, but if the cost is low enough, I can just buy some really quiet fans.
  • I am lazy, so please supply a link. :P

All suggestions are welcome, as long as they aren't violating the list. :P
 
Last edited:
Updated the list. :P
Whoa. I've never seen a case like that. It's vertically mounted, right?
 
Good recommendation on the Silverstone. Also consider the NZXT Phantom (No windows, I use it and love it), or the Cooler Master Sniper whatever. My favorite aluminum case is the Antec P180 (used it in a previous build, best case of all time). Unfortunately, the P180 has been discontinued, I have no experience with the follow up.
 
Yeah, basically what is normally on the back is now up top (the theory is that heat rises, so in-taking at the bottom and exhausting at the top will be more efficient. Good theory but it proves to not make a huge difference. Still awesome cases though.

I've never made a build with the FT03 but I have with the FT02 and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Apparently the FT03 is a mATX case. I never knew that. Hmm.
 
Good recommendation on the Silverstone. Also consider the NZXT Phantom (No windows, I use it and love it), or the Cooler Master Sniper whatever. My favorite aluminum case is the Antec P180 (used it in a previous build, best case of all time). Unfortunately, the P180 has been discontinued, I have no experience with the follow up.

NZXT Phantom is a little plain to me.
I've looked into the P180 before, any they've updated the case. They're on P183 V3 now. I'll check it out right now. lol
 
Yeah, basically what is normally on the back is now up top (the theory is that heat rises, so in-taking at the bottom and exhausting at the top will be more efficient. Good theory but it proves to not make a huge difference. Still awesome cases though.

I've never made a build with the FT03 but I have with the FT02 and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Apparently the FT03 is a mATX case. I never knew that. Hmm.

Seems like a neat idea. But the mATX-only is kind of a killer, lol. I want to do a build with it, though. Seems very innovative. Gotta ask my rich friends if they want a new computer. :P

The FT02 is like $250 + shipping. :/

Also, after looking at the P183, it looks kind of cramped, and that airflow would be an issue.
 
right at your budget limit...if it was my choice this would be the on i would get. but i am kinda biased towards cooler master

COOLER MASTER ATCS 840

intro01.jpg


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119187

or the silverstone RV-02 because of its innovative design but is over your sub-$200 range

RV02-3-4-1.jpg

RV02-Insidstucture.jpg
 
Have you seen the Antec Lanboy Air?

I've seen good reviews for it, the only downside is if you live in a dusty area...


Quick question, does a removable motherboard tray make a difference?
 
Have you seen the Antec Lanboy Air?

I've seen good reviews for it, the only downside is if you live in a dusty area...


Quick question, does a removable motherboard tray make a difference?

I don't care for that case, too flashy. lol.

Not too much. I can live without one.
 
Zalman GS1000

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF3QncmBQt8"]Video Review of Zalman GS1000[/ame]

It's a very thought out case, all that's missing is the removable motherboard tray and front fans.



EDIT: I'm heading off, but I'll link you more choices once I get back online tomorrow if need be.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
I'll vote again for the Fractal Design Define XL. The only issue with it is that it's steel and not aluminum. If you want a high strength aluminum case, Lian-Li is the best manufacturer for that.
 
I have a Fractal Define XL. Can't hear anything inside it :) I can only hear my 140mm side fan that i mounted for more influx of air (had to remove a sound isolation brick, that's why :thumbup1:). It's a great chassi imo, just a lil bit heavy.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5&cm_re=fractal_design-_-11-352-005-_-Product

Removable Mobo tray, 7 fan places, removable HDD cage, quiet and just awesome :P

I'd probably get the R3 just because I don't need a full sized tower.
How is the airflow without the side fan?
 
The airflow was decent before I installed the side fan. Install another fan in the front and you likely won't have any problems with cooling.

XL is great, but if you don't need a full-size that weighs at 30-35kg when all the components are installed go for the R3 :P
 
This is honestly the first time I've heard of Fractal Design.

If anyone has a background for them, I'd be more than happy to hear.
Their website has no information that I could find.
(PM me please, I'm a nut for information like this)


I love the look of their cases, reminds me of the P180 from the design, so basic.
 

Similar threads

Latest posts

Back
Top