Good Video card for under $50?

Luke

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 20, 2010
Messages
626
Hello, I was wondering if I could get someone's idea on a good video card for $50 or under. If you can tell me a card, it would also be very nice if I could get a trusted website that I could order it from. Thankyou for your time and here if my PC Stats.

Manufacter : eMachines

Model : ET1331G

Processor : AMD Anthlon(tm) II X2 235e Processor 2.70GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.75 GB usuable)

System Type : 64 - bit operating system

I just got sick of playing games at about 7 FPS like World of tanks and CS:S or DoD:S at 17FPS >_>. Any help would be aprreciated!

It does not matter if it is midly outdated, As long as it is compatible and alright.
 
[ame]http://cgi.ebay.com/BFG-Technologies-NVIDIA-GeForce-8800-GT-BFGE88512GT-/110662452894?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item19c3ff069e[/ame]
I don't think it comes with a power cable, but would my current Video card have one that I could salvage?
 
Alright.

*The output said a max of 300V

*The input was 220V - 240V

*As for the PCIe, I saw 4 orange USB ports inside the machine in a row going up to down, one was in use of what I think was my current video card.

*Also my supposed video card was hooked up to blue long usb port, There is a spare one right beside it.
 
Well idk if your PSU can handle that. If you did you would most likely be risking your entire Motherboard. or i could just be stupid so dont take my opinion too seriously because im not as smart as most people here. lol But I Do believe if you would like a Graphics card for under 50$ it will be hard to find one that can play some great games at 1280x720. I Believe if you increased your budget maybe by about 10 dollars you could get the GeForce 9500GT which is what i got. :) I Payed i believe like 60$ for it at FRYs electronics.


OH AND. . . . This graphics card i mentioned can play crysis with average about 70 fps. You get awesome FPS when playing alot of demanding games also. :) alot of bang for your buck
 
Would I be able to trust it to work from buying it off of E-Bay?

If it doesn't, just contest it. Paypal almost ALWAYS sides with the buyer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BFG-Technologie...894?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item19c3ff069e
I don't think it comes with a power cable, but would my current Video card have one that I could salvage?

That would be good. that is actually a really good price.

Since you have a pre-built machine, you probably don't have any 6 pin PCIe power connectors. So you will need one of these:
[ame]http://cgi.ebay.com/Four-Pin-Molex-Hard-Drive-Six-Pin-PCIExpress-Adapter-/310230920293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b342c65#ht_3252wt_905[/ame]

Which converts two 4 pin connectors (which you almost certainly have) into 1 6 pin connector that the graphics card needs.

You shouldn't need a power cable...it should be connected to your power supply. Speaking of which, we need to know what PSU you have to know if it'll even work. You'll need at least ~400W and a PCIe 6 pin connector if you want an 8800GT.

Well idk if your PSU can handle that. If you did you would most likely be risking your entire Motherboard. or i could just be stupid so dont take my opinion too seriously because im not as smart as most people here. lol But I Do believe if you would like a Graphics card for under 50$ it will be hard to find one that can play some great games at 1280x720. I Believe if you increased your budget maybe by about 10 dollars you could get the GeForce 9500GT which is what i got. :) I Payed i believe like 60$ for it at FRYs electronics.


OH AND. . . . This graphics card i mentioned can play crysis with average about 70 fps. You get awesome FPS when playing alot of demanding games also. :) alot of bang for your buck

300W is more than enough for an Athlon II, and an 8800GT.

maybe 9500GT can play crysis at 70fps, if you play it at like 800x600, with all the settings turned down. :p
 
300W is more than enough for an Athlon II, and an 8800GT.

Yeah. But I don't know that I would count on it considering it would probably be a (oh crap I forgot eGO's language rules) quality PSU.

Especially if the PSU is getting kinda old. Which judging by the CPU it could be. Capacitor aging could definitely negatively effect the ability of the PSU to output sustained clean power at close to what it's rated for.
 
Last edited:
Yeah. But I don't know that I would count on it considering it would probably be a (oh crap I forgot eGO's language rules) quality PSU.

Especially if the PSU is getting kinda old. Which judging by the CPU it could be. Capacitor aging could definitely negatively effect the ability of the PSU to output sustained clean power at close to what it's rated for.

My PC is a little over 1 year old, so I think that has not yet happened.
 
If it doesn't, just contest it. Paypal almost ALWAYS sides with the buyer.



That would be good. that is actually a really good price.

Since you have a pre-built machine, you probably don't have any 6 pin PCIe power connectors. So you will need one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Four-Pin-Molex-...ultDomain_0&hash=item483b342c65#ht_3252wt_905

Which converts two 4 pin connectors (which you almost certainly have) into 1 6 pin connector that the graphics card needs.





300W is more than enough for an Athlon II, and an 8800GT.

maybe 9500GT can play crysis at 70fps, if you play it at like 800x600, with all the settings turned down. :p

Actually i play crysis at 1280x720 on mainstream. :) I Can do sometimes on Gamer but it begins to lag after about 10 minutes. :)
 
I'd say that you should save up your money for a better video card later. I'd say put up with it for a bit, fix that PSU and raise some money for a card that's going to last you a while. I used to own the AGP versions of the 3850 and 4670 and they both handle graphics pretty well if you do decide to go for the cheaper option, the 4670 is cheaper and is about on par with the 3850, so I'd say that would be a good bet. The PCI-e versions should be way cheaper so make sure you go check them out.
 
Last edited:
I would just like to get something cheap like that the 8800 so I can actually play. My current video card is about to catch fire and I need something I can use. I just want to know if it would work.
 
Yeah. But I don't know that I would count on it considering it would probably be a (oh crap I forgot eGO's language rules) quality PSU.

Especially if the PSU is getting kinda old. Which judging by the CPU it could be. Capacitor aging could definitely negatively effect the ability of the PSU to output sustained clean power at close to what it's rated for.

Most companies like Acer (emachines), Dell, HP, etc, use high quality power supplies, often from the likes of Delta, Seasonic, and occaisionally FSP. It is definetly not crap, and can deliver it's rated wattage.

Actually i play crysis at 1280x720 on mainstream. :) I Can do sometimes on Gamer but it begins to lag after about 10 minutes. :)

720p >.>

I would just like to get something cheap like that the 8800 so I can actually play. My current video card is about to catch fire and I need something I can use. I just want to know if it would work.

yes, you can
 
Most companies like Acer (emachines), Dell, HP, etc, use high quality power supplies, often from the likes of Delta, Seasonic, and occaisionally FSP. It is definetly not crap, and can deliver it's rated wattage.

Meh, the one in the Dell XPS 420 is crap. Had 3 of them blow on me. After the 3rd I said forget the warranty and put a Corsair in it.

It was rated for 425W and it was only powering an 8800GT, a Q6600, and 2 hard drives.

So my experience, with Dell's PSUs in their "high end" XPS series is not a good one. Might be the exception, but there you have it.
 
Meh, the one in the Dell XPS 420 is crap. Had 3 of them blow on me. After the 3rd I said forget the warranty and put a Corsair in it.

It was rated for 425W and it was only powering an 8800GT, a Q6600, and 2 hard drives.

So my experience, with Dell's PSUs in their "high end" XPS series is not a good one. Might be the exception, but there you have it.

Probably a run of duds.

There was one series of dell that had the worst PSU, with horrible failure rates. I think it was like Optiplex 330 or something. Probably a similar PSU to the one you had.

For the most part though, OEM PSUs are very good
 
Alright thanks guys, I have to wait until Monday to order, but I'll be sure to post here if it works!
 
If Anything. Go with the 9500GT. It has much better graphics then the 8800 and only about 10$ more.
 
Back
Top