Possible new power supply

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
This is for now an "if" statement. If I take my power supply to this place & get it tested & find out that its lived its whole life (approx 4 years), then what are some good recommendations for a newer one? Need something around 650-700w. Dont want to pay anything over $100. If you know of a great deal on a psu thats over 700w for less than $100, please let me know.

Phobus &/or reflex, ill take all the info/advice I can get.
 
Look in the other thread. I just made a huge post of recommendations. lol
 
PSU Pricing!

Out of any computer equipment that you purchase for your computer system, never, ever skimp on the PSU. If you can't afford the best, wait and save to get the best. Always look for 80+ efficiency with bronze, silver or gold certifications.

You can skimp on the graphics card, processor, ram, mobo but never skimp on the PSU. Also, do your homework and research the PSU you have in mind on purchasing and read all the reviews to help you make the right selection.

I'm not saying to go out and purchase a $500.00+ PSU, but don't go and purchase one thats under a $100.00's to save money.

You may think I'm full of crap and don't trust my wisdom but just ask around to all the computer builders and enthusiasts out there. They'll tell you the same thing. "Do not skimp on the PSU"!


Peace and happy building.


P.S. try to buy more power than you actually need. As the computer market changes so rapidly, your future upgrading will benefit largely.
 
Well when I have rent & cable, I will have around $100 to my name. Im not trying to cheapen myself in this part. Its unfortunately all I can afford, you need to understand that Cigarjohn. So the simple advice bout the 80+ efficiency rating I will look into. Now if I could afford more, I would go with possibly an 800w, but this is all I can afford @ the current moment. I was hoping for a pay raise within the next month w/ my current company so I wouldnt have to worry about these financial issues, but cannot overlook it right now.
 
The 650TX is a good quality PSU. However, I would have to go with the Antec New TruePower 750W (Reflex's rec) over it.
 
hey all, whatcha think bout this psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

for under $100, its looks to have what i need w/ free shipping. may not be 750w reflex, but 100w wont make or break me (would be nice to have that extra 100w tho). also reflex they need to order more of that other psu, just so ya know.


Boy pillar, your avatar really freaks me out. LOL. I can't stop starring at it. It pulls me in. LOL!

Peace.
 
Well when I have rent & cable, I will have around $100 to my name. Im not trying to cheapen myself in this part. Its unfortunately all I can afford, you need to understand that Cigarjohn. So the simple advice bout the 80+ efficiency rating I will look into. Now if I could afford more, I would go with possibly an 800w, but this is all I can afford @ the current moment. I was hoping for a pay raise within the next month w/ my current company so I wouldnt have to worry about these financial issues, but cannot overlook it right now.

Thats totally understandable. I hate when real life situations come into play. It screws everything up.

My post to you wasn't intended to offend you in any way. It was just a suggestion to help you find a high quality PSU thats reliable.

I wish you luck in your job raise and in picking a reliable PSU.


Peace.
 
This is for now an "if" statement. If I take my power supply to this place & get it tested & find out that its lived its whole life (approx 4 years), then what are some good recommendations for a newer one? Need something around 650-700w. Dont want to pay anything over $100. If you know of a great deal on a psu thats over 700w for less than $100, please let me know.

Phobus &/or reflex, ill take all the info/advice I can get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171037

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171054


These are good and reliable PSU's that will suit your needs.

Peace.
 
Well done Cigarjohn. I really appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to help me find these power supplies. (As well you Mr. reflex). I have narrowed down my selection to the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
^i believe i picked this 1 out myself mostly due to the amount of egg ratings it has

also the 1 reflex found. another reason i have lowered my selection to these 3 is because of the value & quality. due to the price of these power supplies, i dont mind spending the $4 for the s&h for the psu that reflex suggested. however the weekend will tell whether i will get 1 from newegg, from the altex store (if they have a really good psu on sale) or if my current psu is still somehow alive (which i also do believe that it has lived its full life).
 
The Earthwatts is mediocre Delta based unit

The TX650 is better, but slightly overpriced PSHII unit.

I would go with the truepower new 650w......
(link....again)

^seasonic S12II based, semi modular, 80+ bronze, virtually no ripple/voltage fluctuations, etc.
 
Sorry, I'm latching onto this thread instead of starting a new one and clogging up the forums..

I finally identified my PSU as the cause of the hurricane sounds coming from my PC, so I decided to replace it. Since my current one only rocks 450W, a better one would be a good investment since I plan on upgrading my specs at year end.

I read Mr. Phobus' build thread and saw that Corsairs are pretty good, so I found one that I think I like...

My current one:

Click here

The one I want to get:

Click here.

Opinions? And yes, that is around the budget that I have.. :(

And.. I value a silent fan very very highly.
 
Last edited:
That's not a good PSU. Get a Rosewill Green Series PSU. They're cheap but good.
 
Silent Cheap Good

Pick two. :P
I'm not saying that they're loud or anything, but I don't know how silent they are.
 
Silent Cheap Good

Pick two. :P
I'm not saying that they're loud or anything, but I don't know how silent they are.

Haha, I understand. =P

I read some reviews and some of them say the Rosewill ones die after a year. :blink:

How hard is it to replace? I have never built a computer in my life. Do I just unscrew the old one and replace all the wires plugged into the .. other stuff.. with the new one? and boom, done?
 

Similar threads

Back
Top