Ubuntu - Operation System

kYuKi

Poster Extraordinaire
=(e)=
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,354
So I've decided to take a look at Ubuntu for the first time and I have various questions since I'm going to be running it off a USB stick and possibly alongside windows.

1) Is it safe?
2) Will my antivirus/firewall protect me from its invulnerabilities by running it along side windows?
3) Is there software that can help prevent such intrusions?

And any other tips other users may have could deem helpful.
 
So I've decided to take a look at Ubuntu for the first time and I have various questions since I'm going to be running it off a USB stick and possibly alongside windows.

1) Is it safe?
2) Will my antivirus/firewall protect me from its invulnerabilities by running it along side windows?
3) Is there software that can help prevent such intrusions?

And any other tips other users may have could deem helpful.

Well..

1. Ubuntu is "safe" out of the box, like any operating system is. It will need updating, configuration of the accounts, SSH access setup if needed, firewall configuration, etc. It's as safe as the administrator makes it. Although in my opinion, Ubuntu like any other linux operating system is not any safer than Windows is out of the box.

2 and 3. What do you mean you will run it alongside Windows? Unless you are using VMWare, Parallels, or special virtual machine software, you cannot run linux and Windows at the same time. Linux is an operating system like Windows, not an application that can be run alongside of it. You can, however, boot off the USB drive if you setup your system to do so, and run linux separately. But again, you can only use one or the other at the same time.

Also, in either case if your system is compromised and someone gets onto it, it is possible that they can access both the USB drive and the internal hard drive. While having linux actually be able to read the NTFS formatted Windows drive(s) is a different matter, if you do set it up to be able to do that then it is possible that you can compromise your data. The same goes the other way - if Windows is running and gets compromised, it is possible they can do get to the data on the USB stick plugged in.

Linux itself comes with an iptables-based firewall. However, you need to set this up like any other firewall to your own configuration. It is turned on by default, but is not the end all solution. Honestly, I don't even run a firewall on my personal computers as it's a hassle to do so. Instead, I just rely on the NAT firewalls of my routers and a good anti-virus.

Linux has rootkit detection programs, and maybe an anti-virus (but I've never used one on linux).

Are you looking at using linux via the GUI like Windows, or run it in console mode like a server?
 
Ubuntu can read NTFS, and he probably means dual booting.

Ubuntu does have a GUI...
 
It sounds like you are running the Ubuntu "Live" approach.

It's really great, I use it with my clients when they forget a password or need data recovery from a corrupted OS. i just pop in my thumb drive, reboot and bam I've got total system access. Really easy to use when I need to reset vista / win7 passwords (or any other windows versions using the "SAM" file)

I also use it to my personal webserver and network server at my house, it's a great operating system, and from the few intrusion attempts it's mentioned having, it was quite successful at preventing unauthorized access.

If you're looking to use it as a server environment or a heavy workstation I'd highly recommend installing a package called "webmin" it will allow you to manage your entire linux configuration without the need for knowing the deep inner workings of UNIX. Unless that's the kind of experience you're looking for, in that case webmin would over simplify what you are wanting to do.

The Graphical interface that comes with it looks better and better after every update. The newest one (11.04) makes x11 looks amazing, Like Romulan Technology.

If you want to work with any drives on the system with Ubuntu Live, They show up in the "Places" folder by their serial name, clicking them will do all the "mnt" command if your familiar with that. After that they show up in the /media folder with the same name, very easy to use, and right out of the box!

I've had a lot of success running the HLDS off ubuntu as well. Not sure if you're taking it that route, but I find ubuntu to be everything I could ask for in a linux distro.
 
Last edited:
I disagree about 11.04. Unity is an annoying piece of software. Gnome 3 isn't any better.
 
1) Is it safe?
Yes, there are very little virus's due to the fact that no one wants to produce a virus for a little section of the Operating System market. Although, you will need to learn to use terminal and there is a possibility you can screw up, Ubuntu is really user friendly for those new to linux.

2) Will my antivirus/firewall protect me from its invulnerabilities by running it along side windows?
No real need to have antivirus on Ubuntu as I said. And by running along windows I'm assuming you mean you're going to be dual booting.

3) Is there software that can help prevent such intrusions?

Probably, but it isn't necessary. There are close to no viruses for Ubuntu as they have a software center for most of your needs.
 
Back
Top