Hey so since you guys helped me out with my last pc I thought I should come here. So I need a pc that can run bf3 at low to med settings. My budget is around 1250 dollars usd. I prefer intel and for the build I need win7 and a monitor. Any ideas?
and it will certainly be far superior to the Dell dimension garbage my family has been using for the past few years.
hopefully everything goes wellYou need Windows 7 and a monitor to be included in the price budget?
samsung spinpoint f3 1tb is the hdd to beat atm.
Exactly! The low cost, quality, high speeds, reliability and sheer amount of space you get for the price tag means it's easily one of (if not) THE best HDD you can get off the market right now.
Some might ask, "is it the fastest drive?" Maybe not ... it's only an HDD without any solid state technology in it. It's still got moving mechanical parts. But it's also a fraction of the cost-per-gig (if you will) of an SSD.
I think it's nice that -- just citing an example here -- for less than the price of a 120GB Vertex 3, you can get a RAID-5 array (with a quality RAID card included). Imagine 2TB space and double the effective speed of one HDD -- with the safety net of a backup drive -- except you've spent under $200.
Sorry. Fanboying aside, I do own a couple of the 500GB iteration of the SpinPoint series (back when they still made this particular model), and the one I'm sporting now serves me VERY well. I would probably choose it over any other brand or model for the price range you're mentioned, though maybe you could throw an SSD in there too.
Admittedly, the rambling up there was kinda pointless -- I was just fanboying over the SpinPoint. lol40GB for a boot drive is pretty lame. You'd only be able to have Windows and perhaps a program or two, unless you strip down your Windows installation.
hey muffinz, I saw your post and whereas I am a complete newbie when it comes to computer building, I thought I would share the setup I purchased last night with you. I truly do not know if it will run bf3, but I assume it should.
Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) Quad-core processor - $210
You want the 2500K -- that will give you almost ~1Ghz extra down the road for less than $10 now (unlocked cpu multiplier). I would honestly recommend returning the 2500 for a 2500k if it has already shipped. The regular 2500 w/o the K really isn't overclockable as you don't fsb overclock on this generation. If you do decide to stick with the regular 2500 you shouldn't bother paying for the z68 motherboard.
Patience -- don't just rip into the packaging. Send it back and wait until next week for the right part now. I know it's a huge pita, but it would be worth it to send that i5 2500 back for the i5 2500k. You may not want to overclock now, but in a few years it will be nice to add a cooler and push a button for a lot of extra speed. It's almost mindless to overclock these chips -- it's done through windows now as well. You will thank me later. I am talking a 20% faster cpu for less than $10.
Get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
plus the cpu I purchased just went on sale for $15 less than what i paid for (same goes for the OS I bought $20 off), just waiting on newegg to get back to me about website credit or cash back as I was told they would honor purchases with price drops within a week or so. Also, I would rather not take the cpu out of the motherboard >_>