Latest PC Build for BF3

1.you asked for opinions. We gave them, don't get all defensive

2. the title of the thread implys that the rig is made for BF3, which as far as i can tell, is a game
 
I did get a little defensive there, sorry. I am disappointed to hear that my tech buddy steered me in a little bit of the wrong direction.

I was in the understanding that nVidia's processing cores were to process more complex things, making them not as good at AMD, but close enough to not notice too much of a difference. I was told that was the better option for my uses.

And the i5 2500k over the x6 1100T? How so?
I was going to throw the x6 into my server once the Bulldozers came out, so I chose it over waiting. (Both PC's needed the upgrade.) Sandybridge and the i5 didn't seem like what I wanted (as I was told).
 
570s are fine.

Not sure what these others are refering too. nvidia's architechture favors more complex floating point operations, whereas AMDs architecture favors less complex integer operations.

Asuming your want to run one large display, 6950's or 6970s might have been a better option since they have 2GB of vram.
 
look at the forum name latest pc build for b3.... b3 is a game ... so my guess was u were building a gaming comp
 
570s are fine.

Not sure what these others are refering too. nvidia's architechture favors more complex floating point operations, whereas AMDs architecture favors less complex integer operations.

Asuming your want to run one large display, 6950's or 6970s might have been a better option since they have 2GB of vram.

So VRAM directly affects display then? And does having two cards help large displays?
 
You said you got three monitors, so we assume that you are going to be running 5760x1080 resolution (or whatever the bezel corrected version is) in game.

That is a lot of pixels, at a resolution that high, 2GB of vram might be beneficial.
 
Video Card Possible Alternative
Is there a particular reason you chose ASUS as your brand rather than say, EVGA? EVGA always has amazing warranties (though be sure to pick up the ones with the serial codes ending in -AR). However, if warranty is not of an issue, I can't really complain with this choice. Nice, though I would argue that you might enjoy Crossfire 6970 2GBs much, much more, especially with Eyefinity and a multi-display setup in mind (you get almost a gig more VRAM per card, plus... Eyefinity... THREE big, 1080p, widescreens. Need I say more?)

2 fans are better than 1 dude :P
 
2 fans are better than 1 dude :P

The fans are a nice addition, but I don't know that I would pay $350 for an extra fan on a GTX 570. I'd much rather have Crossfire 6970 2GBs for this setup in particular, but YMMV.
 
Also, @Krumlov: I apologize! I thought you were asking for critique on parts you were thinking of purchasing, and didn't realize they were already-bought. I realize now that that probably seemed like I was trying to be rude and correct your purchases. :/ Sorry, man.
 
@Runo Its okay, I should have asked you guys before I purchase all this stuff. I already have it built and running, and it is FAST. I doubt I will need more.

Thanks for the added info though, it will help me for my upgrades in the coming months.
 
6970& 6990 outperforms any nvidia card at high resolution

ONLY in multi-monitor solutions and in multi-card configurations. If you're telling me that a single 6970 will outperform a single GTX 580 at higher resolutions, you're fooling yourself on that one.
 
nope personal experience..and he will have 3 monitors like me..so yea i know 6970 > 580 at high resolution there are plenty of benchmarks too ... and price is cheaper for ati esp since u can buy a 6950 and convert it to 6970 annd save even more money
 
Personally I would've saved a little more and go with the i7 Sandy Bridge. I used to be an AMD fanboy till I built my current Intel i7 build ... now, I'll never go back to AMD processors.

Besides that, looks like a very solid build you got there! You'll definitely be pleased.

Multiple monitors, yep, even though I'm an Nvidia fanboy, I would've went ATi.
 
nope personal experience..and he will have 3 monitors like me..so yea i know 6970 > 580 at high resolution there are plenty of benchmarks too ... and price is cheaper for ati esp since u can buy a 6950 and convert it to 6970 annd save even more money

http://www.techspot.com/review/348-amd-radeon-6970/page5.html
http://www.techspot.com/review/348-amd-radeon-6970/page8.html
http://www.techspot.com/review/348-amd-radeon-6970/page10.html
http://www.techspot.com/review/348-amd-radeon-6970/page11.html

Look at the results for the GTX 580 @ 2560x1600, 8xAA. Like I said, the GTX 580 is the superior card that only loses its advantage in multi-card solutions where GPU memory becomes much more important.

Nvidia still has the king when it comes to single-GPU solutions at all resolutions. AMD has a compelling argument for multi-GPU setups though.
 
Last edited:
http://www.techspot.com/review/348-amd-radeon-6970/page5.html
http://www.techspot.com/review/348-amd-radeon-6970/page8.html
http://www.techspot.com/review/348-amd-radeon-6970/page10.html
http://www.techspot.com/review/348-amd-radeon-6970/page11.html

Look at the results for the GTX 580 @ 2560x1600, 8xAA. Like I said, the GTX 580 is the superior card that only loses its advantage in multi-card solutions where GPU memory becomes much more important.

Nvidia still has the king when it comes to single-GPU solutions at all resolutions. AMD has a compelling argument for multi-GPU setups though.

2560X1600? I WAS TALKING HIGH RESOLUTION in the sense of his purpose (eyefinity or nvidia surround). Which i am correct, you are right in the sense of single monitor setup which i dont consider "high resolution" although it is.... i should have been more clear, although he listed that he will have 3x monitor setup
 
MSI GTX580 Lightning Xtreme 3GB might disagree.

Good build. X6 is nothing to complain about. While the 2500k would have been a better choice, how much difference in game you will actually experience is probably negligible. I do have to agree that if you plan to use 3 monitors, 2x6950/6970 would have been a better choice for the added vram. 570s are great cards though.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top