Windows 8

Mahoney

Rookie
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
53
Hey everyone,
So I've been thinking, is the windows 8 worth it? I mean - clearly it would work great on tablets and netbooks, but I'm not sure about desktops (and I mean Metro style not "classic" redmond or aero, what will be adjustable in settings. I hope)
I mean, this whole windows 8 seems like they ripped off... this windows 8 is rip off PERIOD :D I mean, it looks like prom night baby of OS X and Android, it has that store like iTunes and I bet basic stuff get harder - like connecting in offline mode (I hate MS Live :/ ), changing background etc.

So... what's your opinion on Windows 8?

Mine is - it should be released for netbooks, tablets, smartphones and other stuff. Notebooks and desktops still make do with windows XP/7 (No I won't type Vista! :D ) greatly. Nowadays, it's all about "we make same think the other guy made, because our ain't working"... I mean where are the times, that Apple were actually wanted instead of stuffing your brain with nonsenses, Google was unique and Friendster (is that how it's spelled) was the best social network... Now it's Bing!, Google+ and Apple sues Samsung for making better stuff.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
1) I think any opinions or decisions before it's even released is premature and close-minded.
2) The store in Windows you probably saw is their Zune Marketplace, which has been around for years BEFORE Android was ever made. It was a direct competitor to iTunes, which I actually use for my own music storage.
3) Only Apple sued Samsung in regards to their tablets.
4) It's actually Microsoft, and Apple suing Google in regards to the Android system
 
Last edited by a moderator:
News to me, never even heard of win8, still getting used to win7. XP was the best tbh.
 
Windows 95 was the best in my opinion. I like how with Metro they're actually trying to change the interface which they haven't really touched since 1995, but I think its too "Tabletty". Tablets suck.
 
I might give it a try when it's released. I can't be bothered installing a dev preview.

You can turn the Metro UI off though.
 
Just turn off metro, problem solved....

can't really call something bad until it is released.
 
well I tried that developer version that's free to download (32-bit here and 64-bit here, 64-bit with SDK here Redirecting directly to download from official Microsoft server) and I think it quite sucks. I don't want to make some premature opinions but it's too tablety, and with no way to use or get used to new features (like metro turned off, touch screen - which I don't have etc.) it's just win7 with nice looking logon. So IMO it should be tablets/smartphones/netbooks exclusive but for desktops... well it's quite same thing - different name aka Rip off :/
I know that Zune store thingy was there before android, I was reffering to iTunes ;) But whatevs, I've never been such a fan of those "stores". I love to have physical retail, that consumes space on my shelf (I actually never bought game via steam :D )

FYI I'm not calling it bad. I thing it's awesome for tablets, smartphones and netbooks and those all-in-ones. But not for classic desktops and notebooks. And also, I'm calling it rip off because it's just android and os x ripped off. And I don't like neither android or os x ;) I loved Windows because they were still unique, still classy and still "less" (chuckles) buggy when playing games. Now... it's becoming everything the same and frankly - it's not good. I mean, when apple had this apple glossy look, android didn't exist, linux was for weirdos and windows was all redmondy... those were the good times. I think this because - you wanted office/gaming computer - Windows, you wanted multimedia - apple, you want to be programmer - Linux ;) :)

My resort is still the same, I would love Win8 on my tablet, never let it in my notebook ;) (I mean again)
 
Last edited:
well I tried that developer version that's free to download (32-bit here and 64-bit here, 64-bit with SDK here Redirecting directly to download from official Microsoft server) and I think it quite sucks. I don't want to make some premature opinions but it's too tablety, and with no way to use or get used to new features (like metro turned off, touch screen - which I don't have etc.) it's just win7 with nice looking logon. So IMO it should be tablets/smartphones/netbooks exclusive but for desktops... well it's quite same thing - different name aka Rip off :/
I know that Zune store thingy was there before android, I was reffering to iTunes ;) But whatevs, I've never been such a fan of those "stores". I love to have physical retail, that consumes space on my shelf (I actually never bought game via steam :D )

FYI I'm not calling it bad. I thing it's awesome for tablets, smartphones and netbooks and those all-in-ones. But not for classic desktops and notebooks. And also, I'm calling it rip off because it's just android and os x ripped off. And I don't like neither android or os x ;) I loved Windows because they were still unique, still classy and still "less" (chuckles) buggy when playing games. Now... it's becoming everything the same and frankly - it's not good. I mean, when apple had this apple glossy look, android didn't exist, linux was for weirdos and windows was all redmondy... those were the good times. I think this because - you wanted office/gaming computer - Windows, you wanted multimedia - apple, you want to be programmer - Linux ;) :)

My resort is still the same, I would love Win8 on my tablet, never let it in my notebook ;) (I mean again)


The developer preview was meant to showcase the metro UI so developers can start developing metro apps.

Why would they include a final version of the desktop stuff.

Again, you are judging it before it has been released.
 
Point taken.
Still, it made bad impression on me. And I'm judging the advacement of technology. It's not a giant leap as presented. Only thing I appreciate is more advanced/less buggy 64-bit version (based on what I've read about it). Everything else is IMO windows 7 in new metro-coat, worse for pirates to crack (LiveID) and less userfriendly (LiveID - you have to be online all the time) ;)
IMO, Windows 7 will be used like WinXP - even though there are new windows, they are still most used desktop/notebook OS. I think this because of they reliability - I (and all my friends I have, that use Win7) haven't reinstalled 7s since release because of glitches, bugs or OS issues. And that's is pretty amazing!
Also sevens are absolutely user friendly. I mean it... even my grandma learned to use PC with sevens faster than with any other OS. They are 64-bit friendlier than ancestors as well and - I take this as the biggest argument why Win7 will be long-living as WinXP - I have more FPS/shorter time left/faster loading when gaming, mapping, photoshopping, extracting files, booting system, defragmentating etc than with any other OS (when using redmont instead of aero), so they actually made advancement with system usage. I haven't notice any of this advancements that BFU or gammer will notice in Win8. And also - they are more confusing than Vistas or Office 2007 were.

So my resorts are still the same. It's futile for desktops (except touchscreen-one, because touch-interface is REALLY advanced in Win8 and let's face it - Win7 touch-interface sucks...but that's why there are apps from manufacturer :D ), awesome for tablets, netbooks etc. And it will make me feel like rip off everytime I see Win8 :D This is my opinion, I really tried to change my mind but it's just hopeless... I'm not the consumer it is meant for I guess.

But just for heck of it - if they would make something like Win8 for PS3/X360 (I know it's possible to install other than default OS, but then console's game support sucks. I tried win7 on PS3 and after that I wasn't able to play any PS3 game. And I tried every app that was out that time), I would love it. I mean, this tablety look would look magnificent on my PS3/X360 :) And, because X360 is microsoft thing, well it could be probable that next edition would have something like Win8. And that's the advancement I'm looking for with new OS release ;) (I would appreciate Win8 on my tablet as well).

But this tread is meant for your opinions, not mine ;) I am just clarifying my opinion, why I have it and that's all ;)
 
Last edited:
My opinion on this entire thread is that it's pointless to discuss Windows 8 before its released. We've only seen one part of the entire UI, and not many of us had a chance to even try out the developer version that you used. Therefore, any talk or opinions about Win8 is premature and pure speculation. I rather wait for people to have a full version so they can at least back up their opinions with facts. But then again, that's my opinion. Take it or leave it.
 
Well, I hoped that ppl in this tread would tell me something I missed when searching about windows 8 and that could be talked about as an advancement. But still, you are trying to convince that my opinions are bad or that any opionion is bad. I agree that it's premature to judge win8 before the release. BUT the developers version is just final version WITHOUT the drivers and most-hardware support. It kinda reminds me some beta. But it's official that this is how the windows 8 will look like, how will they work and only thing missing is the support I mentioned.

The proof is that Samsung will sell tablet with Win8 BEFORE official release date of Win8.
 
Point out to me where I said your or any opinion is bad. I said any opinion about Win8 being good or bad is premature, since it hasn't been released yet. Doesn't mean people will speculate how well it'll work out. You're not a fan of the UI, we got that. Hate it or love it, that's the UI being created for the OS. And I gave you my opinion as you asked for. Hate it or love it, that's the response I'm giving.
 
Well, snipeye there's the semantics that gave me the clue ;) And also I overreacted. Sorry.
I'm complaining about UI for desktops. Like I said - it would work magnificent on touchscreen things, but not on classic desktop or notebook (it's just making whole user-friendly experience bad for me) like I said before. I mean, if MS really wants to give you - final consumer - the more intuitive UI, than I guess making one for the touchscreen and second for the non-touchscreen, I know, they made it partially in Win8, but the partially is what makes it the most confusing OS since Windows 3.11 (and leap into redmont made it more intuitive) for me. They're proclaiming that it's all intuitive, but... iPhone, even though I don't like apple, is intuitive; TomTom GPS is intuitive (you don't need any manual for advanced settings) or Steam is intuitive. But Win8 without touchscreen isn't. That is what really bothers me. Either Microsoft wants to make touchscreen monitors to be must have, or "Windows 8 for dummies" will be bestseller next year.

I mean, there are 3rd party nontouchscreen apps that are pretty sweet and make the whole UI more friendly and intuitive e.g. Rocketdock, widgets or even Microsoft's Media Center. It wouldn't be so hard to make "nontouchscreen friendlier than default metro" UI, that I'll love. On the other side, I'm really happy for new features that system would probably offer. I heard some rumor about kinect UI-support (surprise surprise, unhappy future users wrote to MS about metro experience without touchscreen). If it will be true, then I'll withdraw all my arguments. I believe that really good kinect support would help a lot (and I mean really good support, not that glitchy apps you can download for free, but almost everyone makes you loose your mind).

I'm not sceptic, I really tried to like Win8... but I failed. Without touchscreen, all the new features I found and tried, felt like having car without steering wheel. And yeah, I made my opinion on my experience from dev. version... I don't see a big deal, trying this (I was really looking forward to Win8) was a question of "will I buy them" or not. I explained my opinion in novel, hope we are not playing the last word game :)
 
Last edited:
I'll let you know what I think about it when it shows up in my Technet subscription. :P
 
I don't think you understand.

The Metro UI will likely NOT BE ACTIVE for computers using mouse/keyboard. It doesn't make sense that it would.

This developer preview is to show what the Metro UI is all about, which is DESIGNED FOR TOUCHSCREENS.

Wait until the beta, and then we will see what the desktop version looks like. Right now it is pretty obvious that this is not a final version of what is intended for traditional computers.
 
I've played around with the Win8 Dev copy a little.

Yes it feels aimed at tablets/notebooks. Don't let that new UI scare you, Win8 is esthetically almost identical to Win7 underneath. To turn off the Metro Scheme:

1. Launch the registry editor (win+r > regedit >enter)
2. Go down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
3. Double-click on RPEnabled
4. Change the value from 1 to 0
5. Hit enter or click OK


I noticed a few new things in the Control Panel, a few apps, and....sorry, I logged out and haven't looked at it again.


I did notice that WMC is not included in Win8 Dev copy; looks like Microsoft is hinting that they might not include it by default, instead asking anyone who wants it to purchase it separately from the Microsoft Store. (They haven't confirmed this, but have said that it is a possibility).
 

Latest posts

Back
Top