Need a build.

Martyr

Thread Junky
Joined
Jan 6, 2011
Messages
824
I posted a couple months back, looking for a new build. I got some good responses, however I was forced to save for a car instead of rebuilding my computer.

The reason I'm asking for a build? Due to fact my birthday is approaching, and then Christmas eventually, I'm looking into some parts to ask my parents to acquire for me if they so choose.

The needs? Under $1000, quadcore, at least 4GBs of ram. It needs to be able to run newer games. Would like for it to be able to do medium-high to high graphics on new games.

I have an ATX case. I also have a 700W gaming PSU, however this may need to be upgraded.

Thank you!
 
Let's get started shall we

**This is an AMD Build**

First you could just rip this from your old pc though
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151233

Second. I love this processor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

Third. The harddrive...went with a regular drive instead of an SSD. but i personally love my SSD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136557

this is a 450gig velociraptor... very nice harddrives. but if you want to go with less rpm's more storage and less expensive you could do an option such as this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 (also a really nice harddrive)

Fourth. Memory 1600 DDR3 8 gigs only 55 bucks. Love patriot memory.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220598

Fifth. Video Card. 560 GTX Evga with lifetime warranty. You won't be disappointed. Rebate for 180.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661

Finally. MoBo. I prefer Gigabyte or MSI MoBo's but that is just me. I hate dealing with ASUS customer support so thats why i do not prefer them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130565
2 sata 2.0 x 16 and sata 6gb's.

Although you could wait until the end of next month and see if you want an Octo Core processor and an AM3+ mobo or go with an i7 when the price drops.

Total price around 750. with the velociraptor.
Also the MoBO should work fine same with videocard assuming you have the right connections no exactly sure what pins your current PSU has but 700w is Fine.
 
The above build is a no upgrade route. Phenom X6 cpu is a terrible buy now considering sandy bridge and the soon to be released bulldozer. Since you are waiting to buy components, you will have to see how the field looks after that. Also, a $160 velociraptor is a joke. I would much rather get a 1tb spinpoint and a $100 64gb ssd over that.

A gtx 560 is weak. At the moment, a 6950/gtx 560 Ti or 6970 would be my recommendation for your vid card. But by the end of the year, though most likely early next year, next gen cards will hopefully be released.

Also, that memory is a terrible buy. High voltage and overpriced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231461

Current recommendation. 1.65-1.7 V vs 1.25 with the same timings and currently $5 cheaper. A no brainer really.

Beyond that, a motherboard is going to depend obviously on the cpu route you are looking to go so we will have to wait on that one as well.

Also, what make and model of psu is it? And do you have OS already or need that as well?
 
I'm agreeing with huck, that build is really just not a good one. Loving a processor doesn't matter nearly as much as being completely outpaced at the same price point. I also dislike raptors right now. If a good old 7200rpm isn't fast enough, get an SSD. Raptors are the ginger stepchild in between. And the GTX560(non-Ti) is a terrible idea. It's an OC'd 460. You can get better performance out of a $130 6850.

2500k ~$200
P67 mobo ~$150
8GB 1600 RAM ~$50
Samsung F3 1TB HDD ~$60
Radeon 6950/GTX560Ti ~$230
PC-K62 or better case ~$100

That leaves room for a power supply (if yours isn't good anymore), OS, monitors speakers or other accessories you might need. If you don't need anything else, I'd suggest an SSD for OS and your most commonly played games.
 
Microcenter has $150 i5 2500k's this weekend if you happen to live by one. I will also agree with not buying a X6 right now. Bulldozer is perpetually delayed, but should be out "soon". Sandybridge is the best value right now.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top