Get Mesa Back on its feet


really?

My ping definitely went up with the new location. I wish the servers were back in Texas...

My ping also went up a little, but not unbearably when I'm at college. My home ISP just fails, so it wouldn't matter where the servers were, I'd still have frequent ping-over-400 issues.

Not sure why ping went up, since the servers got closer to me.

If Spidey has changed some things, I'll have to re-check my ping when I get back to college. It only went up from about 20 to 30 or so, and it may have gone back down if things were fixed. At home my ping never drops below 80. I blame ISP (my home is also closer to the servers than college. I call massive ISP fail).
 
i don't know what's wrong with you guys. spidEY made changed several settings the other day to lower ping and now my ping lowers constantly on all the servers. i never go higher than 20. sometimes i never go higher than 9 on a good day. in addition, i never spike anymore.

It's just how the internet works. This housing provider seems to have a longer path to the internet backbone than the old one. Actually I traced both servers and the ping goes higher just before the server so it's likely a provider issue. Nothing to do about that, it's just how their network is designed.

Sadly many players from Latin America were affected and our pings doubled or tripled (went from 90 to 150 for me), and we were fairly regular too (Exee, Worm, Sonata, Feuer, Prinny, etc.). I still play mesa when it's got people but well I agree might be time to move on.
 
I won't be able to play on several of our servers until the ping issue is resolved. Like RofLCopter I had my ping roughly double after the move. It's unplayable for all practical purposes.
 
My ping has almost doubled in Mesa.

anyhow, Blackmesa > valve maps for me.
 
i don't know what's wrong with you guys. spidEY made changed several settings the other day to lower ping and now my ping lowers constantly on all the servers. i never go higher than 20. sometimes i never go higher than 9 on a good day. in addition, i never spike anymore.

9!? really 9!? your computer must reside actually inside of the server!

I cranked up BM a few days ago, zero players on when I started. I invited a dozen or so people on my Friends list, and we had 8-v-8+ or so for a good hour with people coming and going, before I left. So it's not that people won't or don't like it any more.
It's still playable, although definitely the laggiest server I play on.

Anyway, nobody likes Valve Maps, LOL. I play it now because that's where all my pallies seem to be... jk, it's OK but I dislike a few of the maps...

There is no single reason for BM's demise; It is not because it is "old" or "Stale" what about 2fort?, it is not because of Skyrim (or as I call it Mount & Blade), it is not only because of ping, that is bad for some, less so for others. For me, and my ping is pretty bad there, it is all about where the people who I like to play with are. If they aren't on Mesa, then neither am I, if they are, then I am.

It is odd how server popularity comes and goes for some maps but not for others. I personally hate 2fort, but those maps are full most of the time?

In the end, if we want it to stay, we need to keep playing it, even if that means join when there is no one, and then bug your friends to come play.

Who knows, if it goes, it goes.
 
I have not had any problems with ping with or without the switch.
 
I have yet to experience horrible lag on the server, however the occasional lag spike is annoying. Plus the server is hardly full so it's hard to say if the server is really lagging, please go back to the old server + no replay is un-needed. Just use FRAPS....

Also Dragonhill needs to released the new version, if only we knew where he was.:(

For those that have not seen the map:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hnp_uj1iSY[/ame]
 
That's really cool. I like the new map.

It looks like the most significant change is the fact that A is no longer so open.

It'll be interesting to see how that effects how rounds go.

Let's just keep filling maps whenever we have the chance. Grab a few friends and blast at them for fun for 15 minutes. See if you don't get someone. If it's really not working, try another map (/server).

Try not to get too discouraged. People will return from the land of dragons to the land of hats!
 
I have yet to experience horrible lag on the server, however the occasional lag spike is annoying. Plus the server is hardly full so it's hard to say if the server is really lagging, please go back to the old server + no replay is un-needed. Just use FRAPS....

Also Dragonhill needs to released the new version, if only we knew where he was.:(

For those that have not seen the map:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hnp_uj1iSY

no more snipers camping A or across to enemy stairs.
no more quick access to second last points through pipes down below.
and lightning that stuns people? :o

nice usage of color and lights though. would be interesting to see how it ends up.
 
I like the other version, the one with the tread mill (not catwalk) was on top of the A point and the suction vents would take you into the vents instead of the actual point.
 
Okay, I'm tired of this crap. I don't care what your favorite server is, there is no excuse for not filling the other servers. It's called courtesy. It's selfish to demand for your favorite server back and ask people to help fill it, but then turn around and not help your clanmates keep their favorite server going. Blackmesa used to be our most popular map, it was ranked 50 at one point. There is no, repeat NO, reason why we are not filling mesa. I may personally not enjoy mesa as much as I used to, but I will still help fill it because it is a map that many of my friends really enjoy. The lag should not matter, we should still try to fill it.

TL:DR-Stop constantly filling valve maps, its on quick play, and usually full, and help mesa.
 
Okay, I'm tired of this crap. I don't care what your favorite server is, there is no excuse for not filling the other servers. It's called courtesy. It's selfish to demand for your favorite server back and ask people to help fill it, but then turn around and not help your clanmates keep their favorite server going. Blackmesa used to be our most popular map, it was ranked 50 at one point. There is no, repeat NO, reason why we are not filling mesa. I may personally not enjoy mesa as much as I used to, but I will still help fill it because it is a map that many of my friends really enjoy. The lag should not matter, we should still try to fill it.

TL:DR-Stop constantly filling valve maps, its on quick play, and usually full, and help mesa.

Valve Maps is not on quickplay, and I look at this a bit differently. Every server has a group of people who really like to play on it. For example, a lot of you guys know that I'm part of the Valve Maps group. Over the summer Super and I would be the only ones in the server for almost an hour before other people started joining. We filled it with two people very often because we loved the server, and we didn't care about not being able to play a real game; we just wanted to see it filled.

If YOU care about the server and YOU want to play on it then YOU should be filling it. I (and I'm sure many others) do not have the time to fill every single server on a daily basis, but I will almost always make sure that MY favorite server is doing well. I will fill it, idle it and recruit on it to ensure its success. Don't get me wrong, I can help you guys fill mesa once in a while, but the group of regulars there should not be giving up. It only takes about 7-8 people in the server before it gets filled. Band together to get that going. Maybe you could even make an unofficial steam group to make things easier, or add everybody who's a mesa regular who will help fill the server to a special group in your friends list.

It's not very hard, but it just takes some time.
 
There is no reason why if valve maps is full, we cannot help blackmesa. It is like when mesa used to always be full, but nobody would come and fill valve maps, or pl maps, or any other dead server. I know people have their favorite servers, but some people are having their favorite server taken away from them because nobody else will help them fill it. This has happened over, and over, and over again and I'm sick of seeing servers die because people just don't like them. Too bad, you are not the only person in the world, try to help out everyone else if you can. If you help fill a server consistently for a while, then it will come back and be full again, and you don't have to worry about it then. We do not just have one server, we have several, and mesa is at the bottom of the pack, and nobody is helping it. Just like Valve Maps used to be.
 
There is no reason why if valve maps is full, we cannot help blackmesa. It is like when mesa used to always be full, but nobody would come and fill valve maps, or pl maps, or any other dead server. I know people have their favorite servers, but some people are having their favorite server taken away from them because nobody else will help them fill it. This has happened over, and over, and over again and I'm sick of seeing servers die because people just don't like them. Too bad, you are not the only person in the world, try to help out everyone else if you can. If you help fill a server consistently for a while, then it will come back and be full again, and you don't have to worry about it then. We do not just have one server, we have several, and mesa is at the bottom of the pack, and nobody is helping it. Just like Valve Maps used to be.

I have to agree. If I'm not mistaken, Valve Maps is about to be in its second or third week for being put back up and I think that it's safe to say that we have our group of regulars. Not saying that we need to abandon that server, but I would like to see Mesa get put back up. Have to give it some love for actually putting me into eGO in the first place.
 
Back
Top