AMD Build $500 Budget

Trippey

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
May 15, 2010
Messages
2,461
Challenge,
Build an 100% AMD based gaming machine for $500.

Thanks for the help!
 

This is definitely a great starting place. However, I would tweak the peripherals. There are better cases than that, 550W is absolutely entirely absurd for a lone A6, and Llano performance is severely limited by RAM speed. An A8 OC'd to hell and running Prime95+Furmark will barely pull 200W. I personally would look for an awesome SFF/HTPC case that comes bundled with a solid PSU. Or, you could save some money by getting a more appropriate PSU and use the spare change to bump up to an A8-3870 or get 1866MHz RAM.
 
$504 before rebates.

Best I got.....quite a bit faster than the other one that was posted.

ibu1UuuXICmA2f.PNG
 
Are you U.S. or Canadian, and where will you be shopping? That will impact meeting the budget exactly.
 
Nice reflex. I know it would be a little more, but I think the 960t is the better buy. I know it can possibly unlock a core or 2 as well which would be an added bonus. But I believe phenom ii wins over BD in this case.
 
Just curious what are you
Gonna be using this for?
 
For future reference, when you ask where someone lives, check their "About Me" section in their public profile first, saves time :).
 
Only so much you can do with this build using that budget an amd parts. Reflexes build with a 960t instead of the fx-4100 is as good as it will get, though it is slightly over budget.
 
Are most mobos able to potentially unlock the 960t, or are there only certain ones reflex? I assume if there are limited ones, they are probably out of the price range for this build?
 
One question, why does it have to be amd? I through an i5 intel build together that comes to $490 after $50 in rebates (though it lacks an hdd, but hopefully you have one you can reuse). i5 would blow these amd cpus out of the sky.
 
Are most mobos able to potentially unlock the 960t, or are there only certain ones reflex? I assume if there are limited ones, they are probably out of the price range for this build?

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-d3_e.pdf

page 41

cpu unlock

One question, why does it have to be amd? I through an i5 intel build together that comes to $490 after $50 in rebates (though it lacks an hdd, but hopefully you have one you can reuse). i5 would blow these amd cpus out of the sky.

How'd you manage that? The 2500K is more than the CPU+board combined.

You would have to use something like an i5 650 or something lame like a locked i5. :rolleyes:
 
Yes, a locked i5. Lame is not quite the word I would use. Heck, you thought the 2500k was lame cause it was too easy to overclock. But still, a locked i5 would destroy a phenom ii x4. But yea, some promos were being run at the time I put it together, so that build is done anyways.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top