HD6770 or GTX550Ti

RapTure

Active Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
320
As the title says I need to choose between the two. I am on a very tight budget and these are the only cards I can get. I need to add with the 6770 I could get a second card and run in crossfire in about 2 months, but With the 550ti I wouldn't be able to do that for at least 6 months.

here is the comparison chart.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=647&card2=658

edit: Or I could get an HD7770 instead of GTX550Ti
 
Last edited:
With crossfire you dont have to run identical cards they only have to be from the same series. So i would get a 6850 and run it in crossfire with the 6770 you alrpeady have. Or sell the 6770 and apply that money to a faster card like the 7850 thats getting ready to be released. The 7850 is gonna run faster than anything paired with a 6770 in xfire.

I know about you being on a budget. But adding 2 lower end cards in xfire or sli to maybe being able to run a game in med to high settings is not quite as economically feasible when you can get a higher end card to run a game in ultra for the same overall cost. After years of doing what you are planning i found myself upgrading every year.
 
Err, that would be incorrect information:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire-faqs

You cannot just crossfire any two cards that are 6xxx. a 6850 and 6870 can crossfire, but it is inadvisable as the 6870 will be gimped by the 6850.

As for using two cards to match a more expensive card, this is usually a good route to go. 2 gtx 460s in sli are able to beat a gtx 580, but at a bit of a price cut. Thus it can be a good route, especially if you can only afford one now leaving you room to upgrade by adding a second one later almost doubling your performance. You can have added noise, heat, and power, but not enough to be a deal breaker. Not sure where the above posters information is from with sli or crossfire providing less performance at a higher cost. It is the exact opposite. Only real drawbacks are the heat, noise, and power I said as well as possibly microstuttering.
 
What settings could i pull on BF3 with two 6770's? I have 8 GB of ddr3 1600 and an fx4100 OC @ 4.3GHz
 
save your $$$$ and buy a card that would last a couple of years plus if you crossfire or run sli there is good chance you would have to buy a new power supply with enough wattage to run both cards
 
Last edited:
save your $$$$ and buy a card that would last a couple of years plus if you crossfire or run sli there is good chance you would have to buy a new power supply with enough wattage to run both cards

Well both cards are pretty low power, so its a possibility to sli/crossfire either without buying a new power supply
 
Using this review which has two slightly overclocked (+30 Mhz) 6770s in BC2:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-6770-iceqx-turbo-crossfire-review/17

This gives performance comparable to a 6950, though I want to say this is a bare minimum as the scaling is rather poor in that game. I believe in bf3 scaling should be better so performance should be between a 6950 and 6970 or closer to a 6970. Then, using this review:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/22

You can see what settings they have used and what a 6970 gets at 1920x1200.
 
So I could pull off ultra settings on BF3 with crossfire 6770's at about 40 FPS? not bad at all.
 
What resolution do you use? Also, do you already have a 6770? If not, definitely consider the single gtx 460 I linked to. That will have huge performance for the cost.
 
I definately considered the 460 but just slightly out of price range. I'd like to go 120 tops and then get a second card later down the road.
 
Yeah, unfortunately the price jumped from yesterday. It was a great deal at the time of posting since that was basically a gtx 560 at a $40 savings.

Beyond that, it also provides about 60% more performance than the 550 Ti or 6770.

My advice would be to see if you can find a gtx 460 deal, and then jump on it.

Actually, amazon seems to still have that original deal with the mir:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperClocked-miniHDMI-Graphics-01G-P3-1363-KR/dp/B006KZGGNY/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330618332&sr=1-7[/ame]

Free shipping actually makes it a better deal too than the newegg one. $130 AR. Huge performance gains over the two cards you are considering.

And with that huge performance gain, you will not feel the need to upgrade to sli as quickly. And when new cards are released soon, prices will also drop making the cost of a second card less as well. I would definitely consider that 460 at that price over your other options. Compared to a $120 550 Ti (though the cheapest on newegg currently is $127 shipped, so it is only $3 more AR or $13 more before rebate for 60% more performance), there is no comparison.



Now a quick math lesson, lets be favorable to the 6770 and say the 460 I linked to is 50% faster.

Then, we will have the 6770 at 100% and the 460 at 150%. Now, assuming 90% crossfire scaling, you then have the 6770 crossfire at 100% x 1.9 = 190%. Now, the performance improvement over the 460 is 190/150 = 1.27. So you are talking about 30% performance increase over the 460 I linked to when adding a second card. Yet currently the cheapest 6770 shipped is $118. Given the slight price increase for the 460, it really will increase performance substantially and not require you to upgrade as quickly.
 
Last edited:
Amazon is where I buy all computer stuff anyway. I live in TN therefor newegg charges tax and shipping. I think I have decided on a hd6870
 
Wait huh? At what price???

Where did 6870 come from? And are you opposed to the great deal I keep telling you about for some reason??? That is 6870 performance at 6850 cost.
 
Oops. meant 6850. Found a pretty good one on amazon for 150

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Radeon-Eyefinity-DisplayPort-Express/dp/B005D6P0N8/ref=sr_1_13?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1330534541&sr=1-13[/ame]
 
Again, why?

The gtx 460 I have been linking you to is the exact same price, is overclocked to match a 6870, and is evga (best warranty imo). So is there a reason again that you are ignoring my suggestion :P
 
The benchmarks for the 6850 show it getting typically around 10 FPS higher than the 460 Also I'm leaning towards ATI because my mobo only supports crossfire. Or since I have two slots does it support both just not certified by nvidia for sli.
 
What benchmarks are you looking at? You specifically mentioned bf3, and these review shows differently:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750-benchmark,3135-6.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7770/8.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2012/02/15/amd-radeon-hd-7770-1gb-review/4

Beyond the 460 BEATING the 6850, I have said that the 460 I recommended is overclocked to surpass even a gtx 560 which is simply an overclocked 460. A 560 matches the 6870, and this 460 specifcally is overclocked even beyond a stock 560. So I am not sure what benches you are referring to. Are there other games you play that you are looking at? Not many games that I can think of where a 460 would fall behind a 6850 by 10 (especially when the fps actually matters i.e. not over 100).

As for sli on your board, not sure what board you have. I know there are definitely workarounds to get it to work if it does not.
 
Well I have a gigabyte ga-970a-d3. One of my pci-e slots is x4 and from what Ive read on toms hardware a x4 wont bottleneck anything over a 460.
 
Also it was a benchmark of a lot of cards for various games including crysis, bf:bc2, bf3, and many others. i might actually get that 460 though because from some reviews I have read the 6850 I am looking at is really likely to go bad.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top