Absent Admin

JakeD

Poster
Joined
Apr 18, 2012
Messages
158
I've noticed in the past few days that our servers, that we fill, are also being neglected. Not in a way were no one plays on them, but it seems that once we fill a server we all leave and no admin stays. I have joined many servers that have inappropriate names and people doing things they are told not to do when they join the server. So my thought is if there is an admin or registered eGO member playing on that server and he/she wants to leave he/she should ask another member to join or tell an =(e)= to join the server and watch to make sure no rules are violated. Also this would give us e's to show that we can handle admin responsibilities.
Thank you,
Jake_the_Cake :)
 
Well usually. Not all the time the admins leave to go fill another server. Now that doesn't mean we go absent and don't stay we are just trying to fill the servers to get the server ranking up. Then maybe when we get most of the servers full we can go back to our favorite server and go admin there.

Also the thing about the e's I don't think that would be a very good idea since e's are only here to have fun but if they do show the maturity and responsibility they can get promoted then. Just leave the admining to the admins if that makes since without being too mean.
 
Correct.

By the way Jake. There are tons of ways to contact an admin.
You can use the: ShoutBox, Ventrilo, and/or Admins on your Steam Friends list.

I'm just saying.
 
if there is ever a time that you need an admin, just jump in vent, there are always a few lurking around in there and they looooooove to swing that hammer.
 
I'll have to agree with the rest of these post. There is always a way to contact an admin... vent, steam, the website...etc. Usually when there is an issue and e will contact myself or another admin most the time through steam and be there in a jiffy. I have had e's also contact myself or an admin through vent.

Shiznoe: Even if an admin is not there, an =(e)= may warn a player for simple things such as:

A. No profanity or offensive language (in any language)
B. No offensive or potentially offensive names and annoying/bad names
C. No abusive language or behavior towards anyone.

If there is something with one of the following:

1. Name Changer Hacker
2. Some inappropriate Signature
3. Impersonating an admin
4. Advertising or spamming of websites or servers
5. Aim Bot

Then that's when an =(eG)= or =(eGO)= ranked member needs to step in to take care of the situation in the proper manner.

Mithos Riot: eye luv ma hammer. I keep it clean after I do my work.
 
What Wize said. Also, if you witness something untoward, and there happen to be no admins on vent (unlikely), you can always screenshot whatever is happening and submit it to staff for review.
 
Personally if I help fill a server and it ends up getting populated, all the other admins leave to go fill another server I usually stay and help moderate.
 
You should get on Ventrilo there a lot of admins there to help you out or just add a lot of eg or ego to your Steam list and that should help you out a lot
 
All the things that you guys have said are things that most active e's, trying to prove themselves an admin, already know. I usually contact admins through vent. The problem that i was trying to address is not how I can contact an admin or what the admins are doing because i am usually with them when filling servers, it was that we leave a server or two unwatched. Now, i don't want this to sound like an e being bossy I just thought that putting this up would give other e's a chance to prove themselves like I said in my original post.
 
Jake,

One thing that you must understand, is that you cannot only come here for Administrative Abilities. You have to have fun, cause that is why eGO was created, to have fun.
Just to give you a bit more of an Idea ...

Skill level has nothing to do with promotions. EdgeGamers promotes on the basis of a member's maturity. We would rather have someone who can barely play, is a lot of fun, and carries with them a sense of integrity, than someone who is PWNTASTIC and acts immaturely.

Getting promoted to =(eG)=, =(eGO)= or Leadership has nothing to do with your time in the community. It is the effort you put into the servers and the contributions you make to the clan that are factored into all promotions.

You may not hold a leadership position in another clan while holding one with eGO.

Other aspects we look at include:

1. Your playing time in the servers and love of the game.

2. Your maturity and ability to make the correct decisions in the servers. (Are you ready to switch sides when needed, or do you instead just say, "TEAMS"?)

3. Your forum activity - Do you contribute to the clan outside of playing the game? (Some members are promoted only on server time and not on forum activity. People are rarely promoted based on forum activity alone.)

4. Location - We might promote members who live in time zones outside of the USA quicker since we need admin coverage during all hours.

5. Donations and Dedicated Supporter status do not guarantee a promotion, but they do get you noticed.

6. Get in Ventrilo. That's where friends are made.

Leadership is always watching to see who is ready, but the best way NOT to get promoted is by ASKING FOR A PROMOTION. Just play and have fun.

I may be a little ole e, but I am having a blast in eGO, and to me thats all that matters.
 
Thank you slowpoke I have fun talking to you guys on vent and playing with you guys it just that i like to have goals or things to achieve or the game or in this case community would be as fun, i don't enjoy just sitting around playing TF2, I like to have something to work for.
 
Every time I have needed an ADMIN for a server, I just messaged one on STEAM friends list, explained who what etc... and they always joined the server and took care of business. The support is awesome.
 
Remember if you have any problems, just follow the chain of command and you should be fine.

Ventrilo is a great tool to get hold of an admin fast (We're here to help you :) ) Also, add admins on your Steam Friends List for an even faster response in case vent is down. With all of these tools, you should be able to get a hold of an admin.

In case no admin is available, there is also the place on the forums where you can make ban request (Just make sure you have all the proper evidence "Condumps, demos etc..." )

Also, this was originally posted in the CSS discussion but can also apply to TF2:

It's late on dust2, you're in their whooping ass, making headshots like its nobody's business then all the sudden the server erupts in chaos. F this f that, you suck, go kill yourself, etc etc.. So you think to yourself, "Well..I'm not an admin so there's nothing I'm gonna do except take the abuse."

Wrong. Nothing is further from the truth!

You want admin? Prove to Leadership you can handle it and here's how:

Use the functionality of our chat history:
Everything said on every CS:S server but Jail is recorded and can be reviewed. Go here and select the server the incident happened on. In this example, it will be dust2 as this is the most common server with chaos and no admins.

After you have clicked dust 2, notice the tabs on the top. Click the one that says "Chat". Every thing that was said in Dust2 is posted here for you to see. Now click on a name. It brings you to their page with all their stuff, pay attention to the Statistics Summary box and click Chat, right next to the Sessions tab. All of this chat is specifically what the person typed and is really helpful for the next part. Gather the information you need for the rulebreakers. Them cursing, griefing, harassing, etc.. A good idea is to open Notepad and copy/paste all their violations.

Now manage your way back to the forums and go here. This is the ban requests section of eGO and will be your main weapon in fighting off the punks. Make sure you fill out the ban requests properly by reading this first. If you need help in filling out your first ban request, please do not hesitate to come find me and I will gladly help you out.

By doing this not only do you help eGO get rid of punks but you also prove to Leadership you can handle admin and you make yourself noticed.

I am not saying you should do this every time someone breaks a rule but if no admins are on and you're just being abused to the point its bothering your gameplay, go for it. Step up and get noticed.

Good luck, this should help all the non-admins in dust2.

http://edgegamers.gameme.com/css

Hope this helps clear up the matter,
-Louis VI
 
Last edited:
Even if an admin is not there, an =(e)= may warn a player for simple things such as:

A. No profanity or offensive language (in any language)
B. No offensive or potentially offensive names and annoying/bad names
C. No abusive language or behavior towards anyone.
Not meaning to single you out Wize so don't take this personally. I see this proposed on occasion, yours just being the most recent, and wish to debunk it. Unless things have dramatically changed since I re-read the Code of Conduct while making this post, e's are absolutely not supposed to warn. They lack the power to enforce any rules so any warning will lack teeth and may serve only to inflame the server. Say bad_pub responds to the warning with a less than polite "screw you". Now what? Warn again? What if the lack of immediate consequences causes other pubs to act up? What could have stayed as an isolated incident is now a server riot. Now you need some admins to rescue the situation. Far better to quietly observe, take notes, and discretely call for help. Perhaps the incident was a one-time mistake. Perhaps the bad-pub will continue to escalate his behavior only to have the Console suddenly ban him. Either of these outcomes reinforces the message that eGO runs a tight ship. An e warning, then re-warning, then losing control of the server until some admins show up sends the message that eGO members are whiny little kids who call for daddy whenever they don't get their way. It's also a violation of the Code of Conduct, Rule #9: No impersonating admins.

Think of it this way. Admins are like the police. Sure, bad things happen when they are not around. But do you actively intervene to stop crime? Or do you get some good descriptions and call 911?

When I see e's on the server, I don't see a bunch of wanna admins, nor do I see a bunch of losers who haven't managed to get promoted yet. I see some players who are there to have fun and who have already agreed to the server rules. I see law abiding citizens I don't have to worry about breaking the rules. I see people I can count on to let me know if something is wrong.

I understand how observing and taking notes may seem like doing nothing. If an e really wants to be proactive about making our servers a better place: recruit. When I'm recruiting I feel like I'm somehow subtly promising them admin powers. But when an e recruits, that e is honestly promising them fun.
 
Feel free to add me on steam. I havn't been as active lately due to rl stuff, but if you need an admin and im not busy ill pop in where you're at.
 
Back
Top