WIP Day of Defeat Operable Tank!

Cool man, very cool. Keep up the good work.


Who remembers the DoD:s mods that brought vehicles into the game? Haven't seen a server run such a mod in years though.
 
that is pretty sweet. Vmex does have some wierd isses, though, especially with windows 7 compatibilty. I use vmex.

That would beintersting, drivable vehicles.
 
If you make it rockets we would probably want 2 shots to disable the tank 3 to kill. It would be nice if each team got a tank and one rocket class. I could see some awesome tank on tank battles that way!
 
Hey guys, I'm currently looking into making the tank look more detailed with better textures. Bruce Lee was helping me a lot by introducing me some ww2 tanks so I will try to make a tank resemble a tiger tank or the like. Tnx for the support as always!

It would be cool if you could make it 1 rocket in the back 2 in the sides 3 in the front
Great idea! Bruce Lee showed me some facts on certain tanks about their weak points so I will try to implement that.

If you make it rockets we would probably want 2 shots to disable the tank 3 to kill. It would be nice if each team got a tank and one rocket class. I could see some awesome tank on tank battles that way!
Love the idea, I will implement the disabling first then destruction after.

This is awesome! When can we expect to test it out?
I do not have a map ready yet, but as soon as I make a nicer and more realistic operable tank, I will put it into a simple fun map that has respawnable tank and see if eGO would like to make that an event if they want to.

For now I would be more than happy to give people a test run through hamachi. I have a small description on my first post on this thread on how to do that, if you want assistance please add me by clicking on the button at my signature!
I'll try to finish the tank by tomorrow night.
 
Yes! Actually cowboy I am planning to do that when I can and it should be possible. Bruce Lee and I were talking about it, and what I will try to do is people putting charges to finish the tank objective, and allowing two people to stand next to it outside the tank to repair it when made immobile (limited amount of fixes of course).

However doing this will take lots of time, so it a project that I will work on as soon as I'm done making the tank look nicer and more realistic (damage differences depending on region, etc).
 
Hey guys, I need some help on getting my hands on some files, so I can try to use the dods tank model to make the tank look a lot nicer.

I don't have l4d, but those with l4d has these plugin files for my program sketchup.
For those who are willing to help (greatly appreciated), here is how to get the files for me.

1)download this as shown as picture
L4D_Tools_install.png


2) go to this directory
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\left 4 dead\sdk_tools\plugins\sketchup

3) send me 3 files and 2 folders in this directory
File Description
vmf_export.rbs Script file which performs vmf export.
smd_export.rbs Script file which performs smd export.
valve_sketchup_tools_config.rb User-changable configuration settings.
valve (folder) Contains required support files.
valve_library (folder) Contains examples and useful components.

I have the original obj file of the dods sherman and tiger tank model. I should be able to edit them as I wish if I can get the plugin files I asked for.
This is how it looks on sketchup program:
18572untitled.png
 
Last edited:
Hey Cush, is it ONLY L4D, or is there an authoring tool that is available from L4D2 that also has the same file?
 
hey tuck sent you a pm! they should work too :D

Nice Work Cush :D Strand with tank will probably be nicer

And thank q point! Yes, if I can get strand compiled well, then i will give allies 1 respawnable tank! Axis will have their flak guns made operable.
 
Last edited:
Hey easy kill!
Sorry for the late response, I was gonna respond when my new tank I am modeling was finished compiling, but it takes a while to compile and every time I leave my computer on for the task over night, someone decides to turn off my computer.

Unfortunately the original dods tank models were too complex to convert into a vmf file (more easily edited model type). So I am continuing with my panther tank (won't be as realistic looking as the dods default tank models, due to the block limits of hammer sdk).

Yes, I can make it so people can stay alive while prone under the tank. But chances are the tank will kill you once the wheels hit ya (like the tank can turn when it knows your under it.

But for sure it will be fun to see how people use the tank for a moving shield and the coordination between the tank driver, the gunner, and the troops.

As soon as I'm done with the panther tank, I'll make a real simple orange type map, and will upload the bsp file for you guys so you can try it out for yourself.

And as always ty everyone for the support!

Edit*

Found a way to successfully compile the model with faster speed.
Looks a lot better in game, and was quite surprised.
426231.png

130472.png

314183.png

german-panther-tank-with-an-infrared-scope-attached-probably-late-1944.jpg

Edit needed:
Make tank a little shorter, body base should be leveled with human head.
Add axis logo.
Add better wheels and make them fit to track, also attach the track to the tank body.
Enlarge tank door hatch on top of tank head.

I'll work on tank function now, and after I make a release on a small map, I will make a sherman tank. (german panther vs american tank).
Will make tiger tank if I have the time.
 
Last edited:
Good news, DJ TTK and I have been working together to get this project moving, and DJ is working on separating mdl files into three parts (turrent, cannon, and body). Once we master this, we can use any hl2 mdl file tanks that is available (in other words using really nice looking tanks).
Speaking of which look what I found (google translate since it was a russian forum).
http://translate.google.com/transla...g.com.ua/forum/showthread.php?t=28173&act=url
Scroll down to see the pictures.

Which tank is your favorite? I will be asking bruce lee since he knows a bit about these tanks from a different game, so I can make the speed and power accordingly.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top