2fort team balancing.

Jeebus

Famous
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
445
So I was playing 2fort today and about 30 minutes in or so, I get team switched to Red. No biggie I guess. I hadn't invested much time on the team and no objectives were stolen. Although Blue team had one capture, it really didn't bother me.

Fast forward a couple more hours and a couple of new players join who are more vocal and team oriented than the other players on our team. They go heavy and medic, ask for more of the same and to meet here, do this, please go here (although they were a bit snobbish at first with some unsportsmanlike comments such as "this person sucks and so does this person").

They make use of my skills as a heavy (ended my server time today with around 300 points) and together we capture 2 flags rather quickly, catching the team off guard.

And then I get killed and suddenly I am back on Blue team. It's not like I was the "newest player" to join so it didn't matter. I had invested my time, been pushing the team back to their courtyard and locking down the bridge to keep engineers and spies out of our base. I was now in it to win it and then it's taken away.

Why....WHY....would I be team switched? It couldn't be because of a high score. I've been first place on both sides plenty of times and that's never happened. It wasn't a standard "auto balance" either because one team suddenly had players jump ship. 2 people left Blue team after the 2nd intel capture and then I get switched. Why not one of the 2 new guys who had done so well to rally Red team? Wouldn't THAT make sense?
 
Because Source Mod totally keeps track of the moral support?

Autobalance looks at playtime, k/d, points capped etc in determining who gets moved.
 
And to what end does it make that decision? Because after I got switched, it sent a player from Blue team who was doing TERRIBLE to Red. Literally minutes after my switch back.
 
To me, autobalance just happens to the next person who dies when it's unbalanced.
 
And to what end does it make that decision? Because after I got switched, it sent a player from Blue team who was doing TERRIBLE to Red. Literally minutes after my switch back.

Perhaps somebody left after you switch? Autobalance does the best it can, but, in the end, it's a line of code. It can't differentiate between players and, thus, ultimately fails.

I salute it for fulfilling its purpose to the best of its capacity, though.
 
>complaining about autobalance in TF2.

lol ok.
 
If anyone should be complaining about the autobalance system in 2fort, it should be me or Chelsham
 
The whole idea of auto-balance is to make the teams even, as in, splitting up the good players. You were switched because you were good, and having so many good players on one team was crushing the other team. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's essentially required to run a pub server.
 
To me, autobalance just happens to the next person who dies when it's unbalanced.

Perhaps somebody left after you switch? Autobalance does the best it can, but, in the end, it's a line of code. It can't differentiate between players and, thus, ultimately fails.

I salute it for fulfilling its purpose to the best of its capacity, though.

Generally speaking, in my experience, if I notice that the teams are unbalanced, I can expect that one of the next few deaths is going to switch teams. Usually, it's the very next one (which disproportionately switches bad players, or the occasional unlucky good one). Autobalance IS frustrating, especially when it seems that it hasn't really done anything useful for balance. But, after having it happen for the umpteenth time, I've eventually come to terms with it. I don't expect anyone to not be mad at it, but I figure it's good form to not let it get to me and just play, and somehow.. everything is ok.

Autobalance doesn't hate me.. so I can't stay mad it forever.
 
2fort has an objective?

autobalance doesn't really affect me anymore. I've really just come to accept it.
 
I've been a victim of this. I've been a spy and sapped the sentry of someone in the bridge of 2Fort, then gone in and sapped two more sentries, rendering their defense almost useless. Then, whoops, autobalance to the team you just left defenseless!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top