Network lag, input lag, display lag... all the lag...

RofLCopter

Poster
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
176
Last week my trusty Benq GL2450 died a clumsy painful death (roof is getting fixed and it rained, etc...)

I had never researched before buying a screen, I would just go to the shop, check one out and buy. So I had some cash saved. I went ahead and bought an Asus PB278Q (shipped from US to EC). It's glorious, colors are awesome, picture quality is great and the monitor itself looks awesome. Never had a high end screen before so I was thrilled.

I started playing on Friday and I was like.... damn I suck today, maybe I'm tired, Saturday hmmm this is weird. Sunday... ok something's up. Sadly I can't test the old one. So, I joined sniper severs and while I was getting headshots I had lots of red noses (those happen when you did fire a hs but the other sniper got you first). I then tried playing tr_walkway and I noticed I had to be much more precise, even predict the player location to get headshots. I think I might be able to adjust over time but still I thought I'd share what I found out:

I found this review of a similar panelsite

The important part is:
Here the Dell performs almost identically to the Nixeus that we recently reviewed, which means bad things for gamers. We have over a full frame of input lag, and then 11ms of pixel response time to bring our total lag up to 29.5ms, which is nearly two full frames on a 60 fps game. While the U2713HM is fine for everything else, for games that require fast reflexes and can?t deal with two frames of lag you?ll probably need to look elsewhere. I know some consider two frames to be acceptable and some consider anything over one frame to be unacceptable, so you will have to decide what you can live with.

This is a review of the same guys on mine. So mine is slightly better but what about the old one. This site says 10ms.

10ms difference shouldn't be much I thought, I've always played with 90+ ping.

Well, as it turns out there is a HUGE difference. Network lag is accounted by the game and it compensates so everyone is in a level playing field. Input lag and display lag are a whole different thing. Not even your own PC is aware of the lag between the moment a frame is rendered and it's actually displayed so this 10 (actually 18ms) difference means a lot.

So it turns out I had a gem. And now I have a great monitor for professional work that is causing me to rage a lot when gaming.

I've always been pretty sensitive about input lag, back then when I was playing Super Meat Boy I had a Wired X360 controller at work and a wireless one at home. That game is mostly a reflex and memory game you memorize button presses along the route and I found out routes that worked at work didn't work at home, I did the test and I decided wired was better for me.

Same with emulated games vs. real thing, I played so much Mega Man X when I was a child that until recently I always felt the timing of emulators was off (now there are some better emulators).

Anyway guess I just had to complain somewhere...
 
I know that feeling. Even though the effect isn't as big of a deal on scout, it still hurt when I first got my new monitor. It gets better though, that's for sure. :D
 
I don't think i've ever noticed input lag but maybe it's because I've always played with this monitor as it came with my PC:

http://www.aocmonitorap.com/root/hk_en/product_display.php?id=3

I've never noticed any lag difference myself because I play with 150-200 ping anyway xD but it turns out my monitor has ~5ms response time which is good I guess?

My computer isn't really good for gaming though so it doesn't help either way when I am on 20fps in the first place :P

E: from the site you linked

055764df8b.png
 
Last edited:
I know that feeling. Even though the effect isn't as big of a deal on scout, it still hurt when I first got my new monitor. It gets better though, that's for sure. :D

Hopefully

@GTR

Response is always 2-5ms, that's the time between a frame and the next being drawn, input lag is the time between the GPU sending the rendered frame and the monitor actually displaying it. Display lag could be seen as input lag+ response time I guess...
 
Hopefully

@GTR

Response is always 2-5ms, that's the time between a frame and the next being drawn, input lag is the time between the GPU sending the rendered frame and the monitor actually displaying it. Display lag could be seen as input lag+ response time I guess...

I don't have a GPU :)
 
Oh that dell panel has great input lag. Thank you for the link
 
Last edited:
This kind lag affects hitscan clases the most and only a fraction of the population will ever notice.
If you started playing the game and got used to it, then it's ok, only after a change affects your performace you notice such stuff
 
Sweet! Something else to blame for my lack of skill. "I so would have owned you there but I have a crappy monitor. What? You think that's a joke? It's real, man. Quit laughing noob. You know what else is funny? Yeah, that's right: Banned!" Awesome, thanks!
 
Sweet! Something else to blame for my lack of skill. "I so would have owned you there but I have a crappy monitor. What? You think that's a joke? It's real, man. Quit laughing noob. You know what else is funny? Yeah, that's right: Banned!" Awesome, thanks!

I'm glad I don't ever meet you in a game. Your scary :(
 

Latest posts

Back
Top