I realize...

You never asked for help form Egypt when you were being attacked by dat badger.. And good idea with the fun server, although we have tried that in the past with the event server and that didn't work. also prophunt/dodgeball servers don't fill up fast or well. So it would be a good idea to stick with normal servers.

Agreed, such a server needs a large fan-base to stay full even half the time, I suppose it is best to go with normal play maps, and we ought to give egypt more time to gain its base.

And I shall remember to call on egypt next time I am in distress.
 
I was never suggesting that we should change it. Wwat I was suggesting is that we fill the OTHER servers FIRST instead of screwing around on Egypt.
Well then, that is a good idea Mister Monday :thumbup:
But a SMIDGE of Egypt now and then... wouldn't hurt right?
I'm definitely all for prioritizing servers that will fill faster and already have higher rankings.
 
In the time that I've been in eGO, I've seen the 24/7 Egypts come and go. I don't understand why it keeps coming back. History repeats itself and it will be a server that will have always have a hard time filling and then become something else that doesn't fill. If anything, shut down that server completely and use the money for the other servers. No use in having a server that we can't get people to play and stay in.
 
In the time that I've been in eGO, I've seen the 24/7 Egypts come and go. I don't understand why it keeps coming back. History repeats itself and it will be a server that will have always have a hard time filling and then become something else that doesn't fill. If anything, shut down that server completely and use the money for the other servers. No use in having a server that we can't get people to play and stay in.

^
 
People don't like Egypt, Sanct is not a ppl/person/human, Egypt should be payload #2 and valve maps should be doomsday and 2fort should be Hydro. :)

Edit: I know I should say something smart, but I think the only thing we can do is try to keep filling the servers and see what happens.
 
Last edited:
Join the FFTF squads to help fill them! Squad 1 is recruiting still
 
The only reason egypt is not filling is because it is not a high enough rank on quick play for many people to join, the more everyone works together to fill it the higher rank it will be and the less work we have to do to fill it...
 
People don't like Egypt, Sanct is not a ppl/person/human, Egypt should be payload #2 and valve maps should be doomsday and 2fort should be Hydro. :)

Edit: I know I should say something smart, but I think the only thing we can do is try to keep filling the servers and see what happens.

Art thou implying that 24/7 hydro is a bad idea? because although it would be awesome, I guess I have to agree, the world is not awesome enough for hydro.
 
The only reason egypt is not filling is because it is not a high enough rank on quick play for many people to join, the more everyone works together to fill it the higher rank it will be and the less work we have to do to fill it...

It's a CP map and has the option to turn on alltalk. Two strikes against it right there.
 
It's a CP map and has the option to turn on alltalk. Two strikes against it right there.

How in the WOOOORLD does that give Egypt two strikes? Yes, it's a CP map. Yes, Quickplay recommends CP for advanced players. I see that one a little bit. but having a plugin to vote for alltalk gives it no strike/penalty for quickplay or a chance of it being blacklisted from quickplay. The tags change with alltalk is enabled or disabled. Please, tell me how you think these give Egypt these "two strikes against it right there". I'd really like to know other than that you dislike CP and Alltalk.
 
Yes, it's a CP map. Yes, Quickplay recommends CP for advanced players. I see that one a little bit.
Ha, like people care about "advanced players" when they see CTF.

TF2 gamemodes are so different from traditional game modes that the moment new players see something they recognize ("Oh hey, I know capture the flag from Blops 2") they run for it. Failing that, they run for the 'easiest', Payload. Which, by the way, is second to last in the server rankings. That's why 2fort is so popular even though it's a meh map.

The problem with Egypt is that it's non-traditional even by TF2 standards. It's just a different map. You might argue that it's the same, but it really isn't aesthetically. I'm not saying it's a bad map, I just rate it on a different scale. And we all know that noobs don't like change.

So yes, 2 strikes against Egypt.

CP, Non-traditional
 
I'm going to quote myself here:
Server filling is important. Valve keeps a track of which servers have been popular before to use with its quickplay system. That means that if we don't fill these servers now, they will never fill. On the flip side of that, if we can get them filled now, they will eventually fill themselves.

I'm also going to quote Valve here:
Valve said:
Does Quickplay give empty servers priority over servers with players?
All things being equal, having more players is better. However, the algorithm also takes into account past history of the server, ping time, etc.

I've got two servers configured identically. One is full, the other is empty. What's up? Quickplay is broken!
The same thing happens to the Valve servers. The scoring seeks to place players into servers that already have others players in them. This is positive feedback: once one server (by the luck of the draw) gets its first few players, it can continue to receive players while the other, identical server, receives none. The reputation scoring system generates similar positive feedback on a slower time scale.
The best way to kickstart your server is to get some people to connect to it.

The problem is not Egypt. Egypt is a fine map. The problem lies in the fact that the server ranking is already well below what the ranking would be on a healthy server. This will occur with any new map. If you recall, Egypt used to be a dustbowl server, but it was even harder to fill than this one. If you also recall, our normal dustbowl server is our number 2 server. It fills itself. The problem is not the map, but the low ranking of the server itself. Filling Egypt, and keeping it filled, will fix that problem with time.

And Monday, I agree with you that we should fill the others first. There is no point neglecting the other servers. If we do that, they will end up being as hard to fill as Egypt is now.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top