"hl2.exe has stopped working" possible fixes

FireHazard772

Poster Extraordinaire
=(e)=
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
3,047
First off, my apologies if this is in the wrong section. I didn't want to double post with 2 threads about it in the DODS/CSS Div sections, and the 2 Tech-labeled forums, to me, seem to be more for hardware-related talk and not software. If I am mistaken, then my apologies.
--

So for those of whom play Source-games, such as DODS or CSS, and have been having this crash lately - I've heard of, as well as found a 'temporary' fix to this crash:

In no particular order:

* - (Preferably) before joining a game server, although it doesn't do seem to do any harm if you do it while in a server, and you're at the main menu, change your games' resolution. This I've done whenever I had the crash and it seems to prevent it from happening either for the day or for a good while. Might need to do it a couple of times if it crashes again after the first attempt.

* - Verify integrity of game files: This one I've tried, but it didn't work. I'm listing it, though, since it seems to work for others that reported having the issue and this fixed it.
---
These are the only two options I know of or heard of. There might be other solutions, and if so, feel free to post them.

Just thought I'd share this to help those with this issue.

Cheers!

--Fire
 
Last edited:
I've been looking for good ways to fix this problem. My game crashes around 4 times a day now so thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to try these out next time.
 
Verifing game cache always worked for me but another "trick" is to disconnect your Internet connection, try to load a Source game, once the game loads, minimize and re-enable your Internet connection and then you can play the game with no errors. But this would be a pain in the rear if you had to do it every time.

If you're having issues with main menu or multiplayer issues, you can also try setting these launch options:

Main Menu Launch Options:
-dxlevel 80

Multiplayer Launch Options:
-console

And in the console box at main menu put "vgui_allowhtml 0" every time you open the game

If you are getting the error where you can't open the game after putting in "-console" vice versa, then put "-console, -dxlevel 80". in Launch options.

I've also found that I get this issue when I log in from different computers, even from the same IP. It has something to do with the Steam Cloud so if you are a person who plays from different computers (like a desktop and a laptop) then this could be your problem. That's when validating the game cache seems to be the best fix.
 

Similar threads

Latest posts

Back
Top