Memorial Day Weekends

Bread

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 18, 2012
Messages
2,098
As some of you have heard from me, my family has fought in every war the United states has fought in all the way back to the revolutionary war. In the Revolutionary we fought as minute men for america. Civil war we went against eachother, Union was captured and taken to a POW camp where he escaped and reenlisted. WWI stuck in a trench like most soldiers, WWII Grandfather fought in the navy, Vietnam Mom's cousins dad. And current wars it's Mom and Dad's cousins fighting. My dad is a Former Marine.

I want to hear you're military experience/ history of your guy's family if you're okay sharing since it is Memorial weekend. And to our current and former members. Thank you for your service.
 
Last edited:
Grandfather on mom's side was a mechanic for the Army Air Force in the Pacific during WWII, was wounded on Biak Island by a JPN sniper. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Biak
Grandfather on dad's side was in Europe during WWII, was "near there" during the Battle of the Bulge.
 
Last edited:
Grandfather was a military policeman over in Korea. That's all I can really say.


Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk. Cruddy autocorrect will make mistakes.
 
My grandfather was in the Army during WWII and was stationed in Italy after the Italians surrendered to the Allies. He worked on the rail-yards that would bring supplies fround the coast to the front lines
 
My great-grandfather was a Navy mechanic in WWII. My Uncle's in the AF too. Not much else.

Special thanks to those in eGO who serve.
 
Much of my family was/is military (grandparents, uncles, cousins, etc). I currently live in a military town so most of my friends and neighbors are as well. I was ROTC and married into the military. I was scheduled to enter the Air Force but life took me in a different direction when I became a mom. :)

I have lost many veteran friends and family- some during active duty. Ran a Memorial Day 5K this morning in their honor.
 
Grandpa on my dad's side was in India for much of WWII. Blind in an eye, so they never put him on the front lines, but he worked on docks unloading crucial supplies for the China-Burma-India theater.

Grandpa on my mom's side was in the French army. His unit was overrun by Rommel's "Ghost Division" in Belgium and was taken POW. He wrote his memoirs shortly before he died and I'm so glad I got to read them. Incredible man, and he's the reason why I cringe when I hear all these "French white flag" jokes.

I'm currently in the USAF as a pilot about to finish up initial training on C-17s. Been in for 2 years now, all training so far! It's been an amazing experience and I'm looking forward to new adventures.
 
My great uncle was in the chosin reservoir. Greatest man I've ever met.
 
My grandfather was a SeaBee in the south Pacific in WWII. Family story is that he took some Japanese soldiers prisoner with a bulldozer, but I don't know the details.
 
My grandfather was a Navy sailor in WWII. I don't know much, but I do know that at one point, he did speak to a German soldier (most likely a prisoner) who, upon being asked why he served for Nazi Germany, said "You Americans have your propaganda, and we have ours."

Both my parents and all of my mother's siblings did some sort of work in the NYPD (hence my father's old Steam name, NYPD-Sharpshooter). One of my aunts is now suffering from asbestosis (or something else asbestos exposure induced) after her help with the recovery from the 9/11 attack on the WTC. Obviously not military work, but definitely something memorial.
 
My late Grandfather severed in the Korean War as a member of the Army, my uncle served in both the Marines and Navy and fought on the frontlines of Operation Desert Storm. Many of my other cousins are members of the Marine Corp. Sadly I'm not meant to be in the military but I am extremely proud of all the military groups and am proud to stand beside them
 
My grandfather served in the Air Force during WWII flying bombers I believe in the pacific theater. My uncle served in the navy as a lift operator on an aircraft carrier during desert storm. I myself served in Iraq in 2002 but got injured one too many times and sent home early. I would still be serving today if that had not happened.
 
This was a great idea, thank you! :D

I currently serve in the Army National Guard along with Tomain and my sister, Anzberri. (Haha and her boyfriend who is Tomain's bestest friend, so all four of us are super close.)

Only my grandpa served before us. He was a marine in the Vietnam War.

I hope everyone had a great weekend! ^_^
 
My grand fathers both served. One was a Hospital Corpsman with the 1st Marine Battalion during the Korean War. The other was a B-2 Bomber pilot during WWII. I have a cousin who's an Army Ranger and I served as a Hospital Corpsman from 2001-2007 also detached with the 1st Marine Battalion.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top