And so school starts.

We used to start after Labor Day and end before Memorial Day... now we start mid-August and end the first week in June. I can only draw one conclusion from this...

The school year needs to go on a diet, or it's going to end up like the commercial Christmas season.
 
Almost everywhere in US (and Canada) starts after the Labor Day weekend in September.

Geographically, I am not sure about this, but population-wise, possible. Some states, like Texas, have one day that all public schools start on, the forth Monday of August. But, because of the balkinization of laws in the US, not only can that day be different from state to state, but most likely different from school district to school district.

I know that most the area in and around the Great Plains and at least the western Midwest start mid-August. Even most college/universities start early/mid-August around here. Not only is the the month different, but here in the Omaha area, my boys have always started mid-week, on a Wednesday, but neighboring districts have different start dates.

I googled the question 'why do midwestern schools start in August' and found nothing substantial.

My wife and I grew up on the west coast and our boys started school there around 1999/2000, and it was always the week after Labor Day.
 
Last edited:
A magical place called the South.

(This was my friend's reaction to your post: )

View attachment 7745

Another gem: "Let's all harass that one board member/ that decided to start before September"
Except... Sanctified is from Texas, like I am. And school always started in late August, at least in the schools I attended.

Not sure about you, but I believe Texas is in the South. :P
 
Except... Sanctified is from Texas, like I am. And school always started in late August, at least in the schools I attended.

Not sure about you, but I believe Texas is in the South. :P
I always considered Texas to be in the Southwest, but eh.
 
There's Northwest, Southwest, Northeast, Southeast, and there's Texas. Those are the five regions of America.

As someone living in the Midwest I feel offended but will live with it.
 
Nah not really needed. Regular classes tend to bore me so that's why I take them, passing the tests will be simple enough. It's pretty dumb but all of them do transfer over.

Are you sure they transfer over though?

Because I didn't find out until my senior year of high school that the University of California system doesn't accept credits for both AP English Lit and Lang. Then it also depends what school you're going to, for the lower ranking public schools will take 3s most of the times, the universities of the state usually only take 4s and up, then private schools like mine only took 4s and 5s. Then I only got credits for some of my tests I passed, not even actual college credit. Freaking AP tests are so weird when it comes to them actually counting.
 
Are you sure they transfer over though?

Because I didn't find out until my senior year of high school that the University of California system doesn't accept credits for both AP English Lit and Lang. Then it also depends what school you're going to, for the lower ranking public schools will take 3s most of the times, the universities of the state usually only take 4s and up, then private schools like mine only took 4s and 5s. Then I only got credits for some of my tests I passed, not even actual college credit. Freaking AP tests are so weird when it comes to them actually counting.
I'm learning so much about the relative age of you folks from this thread...

From what I've been told, all of your credits transfer. It just depends on what credits each school accepts.
 
What? I have literally never heard of starting school in September except in Asia. I always thought the norm was the second Monday of august.

That's the south for ya.

Uh hum. When I went to school I use to start on the 2nd week of September all the time and end school mid july sometimes end of it (Unless you're in your last year then you end in may time and have exams through till end of june). :)
 
Are you sure they transfer over though?

Because I didn't find out until my senior year of high school that the University of California system doesn't accept credits for both AP English Lit and Lang. Then it also depends what school you're going to, for the lower ranking public schools will take 3s most of the times, the universities of the state usually only take 4s and up, then private schools like mine only took 4s and 5s. Then I only got credits for some of my tests I passed, not even actual college credit. Freaking AP tests are so weird when it comes to them actually counting.

For the most part I'm pretty sure, I can always double check when the year starts. Like I said though, even if they didn't transfer over I'd still be taking them as regular classes tend to bore me. I will agree that AP tests are weird as well.
 
For the most part I'm pretty sure, I can always double check when the year starts. Like I said though, even if they didn't transfer over I'd still be taking them as regular classes tend to bore me. I will agree that AP tests are weird as well.

AP tests are all weird as hell, and they're incredibly tiring. I had to take two in one day, man I just went home and slept after that.

I get you though I just took AP classes since I liked the challenge, but I also liked being able to balance my time between fun classes, sports, and friends. I just always see people taking 4 or more AP classes and just wonder how you even manage all the work load.

College classes are so much better.

I'm learning so much about the relative age of you folks from this thread...

From what I've been told, all of your credits transfer. It just depends on what credits each school accepts.

Thats what so weird about it, when it comes to AP tests they won't all transfer over, every school decides on their own system. Then even if you take classes at a community college they won't always transfer over, colleges are so specific about what they transfer over.
 
Yeah, I don't know when Texas schools are supposed to start- never went to 'em myself. But this starting earlier and earlier thing amounts to little more than a money-grubbing conspiracy... the more days kids are in school, the more green those districts get, so keep 'em at those desks!
 
Yeah, I don't know when Texas schools are supposed to start- never went to 'em myself. But this starting earlier and earlier thing amounts to little more than a money-grubbing conspiracy... the more days kids are in school, the more green those districts get, so keep 'em at those desks!

Not sure where this crazy talk comes from, but they don't have the money to keep them in longer. In Omaha area, where schools starts mid-August, they are out by third week of May. Graduating Seniors are usually done the first week of May.
 
As someone living in the Midwest I feel offended but will live with it.

Agreed. Although when I was in Michigan, someone asked me where I was from and I said, "The Midwest," and he was like, "This is the Midwest..." How the heck is Michigan part of the Midwest?

Also, AP classes are stupid, unless it's AP Calc. AP Calc was fun. AP Chem and AP Gov can go die. If anyone took the AP Chem test this year can you please explain why the AP Chem exam was so hard? I got a 3 and I'm pretty sure I got like 30% of the questions right. I didn't even answer 2.5 of the free response questions because I gave up. :facewall:

I start college in two weeks and I only have classes on 4 days out of the week, so I'm looking forward to that!
 
"This is the Midwest..." How the heck is Michigan part of the Midwest?

284px-Map_of_USA_Midwest.svg.png
 

Latest posts

Back
Top