Server locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aooga

Poster
Joined
Feb 7, 2008
Messages
217
where the heck are these servers located? i lagg lik crazy on them? especially gravel pit.
 
Guessing TX as well. i normally get around 50 ping for chicago servers and get 75-100 on ours.
 
Im in Montreal Canada , East coast. with a 60 ping and no lag. Prolly your connection.
 
Aooga, where are you located? It could be a problem with your choke rate or some other gobbledy goob that you can fool around with. Are you getting good pings on other servers?
 
I have comcast cable connection.. a wireless router, my computer is beefed up... i live in west virginia, i would REALLY appreciate it if i can fix this... otherwise i'm going to leave due to sever lag... my latency is lik 70 average on the servers...

whats choke rate? and if that canadian has a better connection thats just sad for me... GAY COMCAST!!!! I'M going dsl...lol.

see thats rediculous!! aiki has 20 ping and hes in penn!!! i'm closer!! he prolly has comcast...

** could it be that i have a brother playing dungeon runners? some gay online game**
 
You believe 70 is lag, and you'd leave over it? I guess that's your decision, but that seems a little... prissy. You're talking about a round-trip communication time of approximately .14 seconds. It rarely makes a difference at that point. When you start seeing pings over 200 - that's excessive on broadband.
 
no man listen to me carefully.. i ran crysis on high settings overall, i played crysis online with NO LAG. I'd leave because if i can't aim to kill someone, why the heck play the game in the first place? you don't know how bad it is, your not on my comp, so don't be calling me "prissy" i need answeres not comments.

so, other then that, anyone have like some steps for me to follow to fix this?

I have a wrt54G router... i even put the graphics card on "performance" and set the graphics lower then i had them, and i still lagged when i tried to play on the servers...

i been talking on other forums about this and one guy said this might fix it... it did for him... http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530
 
Run "net_graph 3" in the console when you play and see where the spikes are coming from. I have a constant 50-70 ping and lag isn't the problem. I recently got framerate drops on every map, but after cleaning the dust in my video card things have become a lot smoother. Crysis was running fine on high for me while TF2 got 20fps with the lowest settings. I'm not sure how that makes sense, but after cleaning my case of the thick dust TF2 went back to normal, aside from Convoy V1. I can't recall the choke rate commands, but I used those and some others to tweak Counter-Strike back in the beta days and it helped decrease lag. Your best bet is to check out the Steam forums, www.steampowered.com Other than that, do you experience lag on non-eGO servers?
 
I will try other servers today, i have a snow day. And i shall search those forums...
 
Having other people on your internet sucking up bandwidth could be a problem, but if you don't have a high ping on other servers...
 
my ping ws like in the 60-70's yesterday... is that good enough?

like its bad enough that i can't aim at a guy and shoot without seeing him 20 yards in the other direction...
 
The problem is TF2, Aooga. I'm convinced, or some interaction with that program. I get 100 ping or so on a regular basis, and it's fine - almost no stutters. I used to have problems in CS:S that persisted despite completely blowing away Steam and reinstalling everything. It turned out that my video drivers were old, my disk needed (badly) a defrag, and my router needed to be rebooted. Once I did those things, CS:S was fine.

I suspect you have a myriad of small things that are making this an unpleasant experience for you. It may even be something as simple as a corrupted texture file or something similar.

You've told me that CS:S is fine on your computer. No problems. The next step is to try TF2 on servers that report similar ping times, and see if you have the same problems.

After that, blow Steam away (including deleting the c:\program files\steam directory) and reinstall it (which will take a long time, I know). That could be the magic ticket.

Of course, it might not, so ... be careful no matter what you do.
 
I would recommend talking to Lafinass and checking out his thread here: http://www.edgegamers.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?23559.0
He had some issues that may be related to your problem, and if you sift through the 3 pages you can see that he solved the problem. It could be the location of our servers if other TF2 servers run fine. He was getting 100% packet loss with the route his data was going through, so if you have low ping but stuttering (not fps) then it could be a similar issue. Good luck!
 
yeah, i don't really get a good connection to any servers now... i might have to re-install... WHO knows, with all these snow days, i might just do it tomorrow or something.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top