Stage6 is gone. . .

bLackout {RD}

Poster Extraordinaire
=(eGO)=
Joined
Oct 6, 2007
Messages
2,589
Yeah, I know this is an old news. But, some of you don't know it.

Quoted:
I'm Tom (aka Spinner), a Stage6 user and an employee of DivX, Inc., the company behind the service. I'm writing this message today to inform you that we plan to shut down Stage6 on February 28, 2008. Upload functionality has already been turned off, and you'll be able to view and download videos until Thursday.

I know this news will come as a shock and disappointment to many Stage6 users, and I'd like to take a few moments to explain the reasons behind our decision.

We created Stage6 with the mission of empowering content creators and viewers to discover a new kind of video experience. Stage6 began as an experiment, and we always knew there was a chance that it might not succeed.

In many ways, though, the service did succeed, beyond even our own initial expectations. Stage6 became very popular very quickly. We helped gain exposure for some talented filmmakers who brought great videos to the attention of an engaged community. We helped prove that it's possible to distribute true high definition video on the Internet. And we helped broaden the Internet video experience by offering content that is compatible with DVD players, mobile devices and other products beyond the PC.

So why are we shutting the service down? Well, the short answer is that the continued operation of Stage6 is a very expensive enterprise that requires an enormous amount of attention and resources that we are not in a position to continue to provide. There are a lot of other details involved, but at the end of the day it's really as simple as that.

Now, why didn't we think of that before we decided to create Stage6 in the first place, you may ask? That's a good question. When we first created Stage6, there was a clear need for a service that would offer a true high-quality video experience online because other video destinations on the Internet simply weren't providing that to users. A gap existed, and Stage6 arrived to fill it.

As Stage6 grew quickly and dramatically (accompanied by an explosion of other sites delivering high-quality video), it became clear that operating the service as a part of the larger DivX business no longer made sense. We couldn't continue to run Stage6 and focus on our broader strategy to make it possible for anyone to enjoy high-quality video on any device. So, in July of last year we announced that we were kicking off an effort to explore
strategic alternatives for Stage6, which is a fancy way of saying we decided we would either have to sell it, spin it out into a private company or shut it down.

I won't (and can't, really) go into too much detail on those first two options other than to say that we tried really hard to find a way to keep Stage6 alive, either as its own private entity or by selling it to another company. Ultimately neither of those two scenarios was possible, and we made the hard decision to turn the lights off and cease operation of the service.

So that's where we are today. After February 28, Stage6 will cease to exist as an online destination. But the larger DivX universe will continue to thrive. Every day new DivX Certified devices arrive on the market making it easy to move video beyond the PC. Products powered by DivX Connected, our new initiative that lets users stream video, photos, music and Internet services from the PC to the TV, are hitting retail outlets. We remain committed to empowering content creators to deliver high-quality video to a
wide audience, and we'll continue to offer services that will make it easy to find videos online in the DivX format.

It's been a wild ride, and none of it would have been possible without the support of our users. Thank you for making Stage6 everything that it was.

--Tom

__

Now, I can't watch good quality Anime/Concerts/Movies..

stage6.com
 
I went through this once.

Dear SCO Community,

For some time now, a large majority of you have been crying out for answers. The lack of content updates, the continual updates made to Ace Online overseas, and my diminished presence in the SCO community. I am writing this letter to give you all the answers you seek and deserve, however these may not be the answers you wanted to hear.

As some of you may know, Ace Online is now owned by another publisher. Gala-Net was given a cease and desist letter from this publisher, requesting that we shut down Space Cowboy as they now possess the rights to the game within the US region. We here at Gala-Net immediately resisted this claim and began to take action. Several plans and proposals were formed by us here at Gala-Net, and I was sent to Korea in an attempt to negotiate some sort of compromise.

Gala-Net has fought for one of two goals. Either the continuation of our service in the US complete with updates, or the voluntary transfer of your characters to a new publisher’s service. We recognize that many of you have spent a significant amount of your time in our game worlds. It is this very reason for which we fought with great resolve. Unfortunately no compromise was able to be reached, and no transfer could be agreed upon.

For the past few months the SCO forums have been filled with complaints and angry posts regarding the status of the game. These posts are written by players of every gear, every faction, and every country of the real world. Many of you have taken note of my patience during this era of flaming and hatred.

I have patience with the anger of this community because I share that anger with you. Space Cowboy is a game of great potential. It has been a game of recreation, a game of solitude, a game of friends and comrades, a game of conflict and competition. In my time here working on SCO, I have seen leaders succeed and fail, I have seen heroes rise and fall, and I have seen brigades form and dissolve.

I have done everything within my power to fight for Space Cowboy, and I do not possess a single regret regarding my work here. Gala-Net has been incredibly supportive in my fight for SCO, however unfortunately, sometimes passion and hard work just isn’t enough.

Space Cowboy servers will be shutting down on 12/26/2007. Gala-Net cares deeply for our users, and we wish to provide those who have supported us with various forms of reimbursement. E-mails will be sent out in the coming weeks to your respective email addresses detailing any reimbursements that your account is eligible for.

Once again I wish to reiterate my sincerest apologies to the SCO community. Here at Gala-Net, each game’s community is regarded as a part of our family. You have all been my family during my time here at Space Cowboy. I can only hope some of you will stay within the gPotato family and specifically with me in my continued services here as a representative of Gala-Net.

Over the next few weeks we will be turning up the EXP and drop rates so that all of you can experience the highest level content for SCO. We will also be running events over the next few weeks so that those who wish to enjoy the last month of SCO can do so.
----

That was the shutting down of Space Cowboy Online. I know how this feels. I still remember the last thing I ever did in that game. I got 5 or 6 people around me and I typed out "The Charge of the Light Brigade" by Alfred Lord Tennyson, then I said "Peace out." and never logged on to that poor game again.
 
I loved Stage6 like it was my brother. But it's gone now, and they suggest we go to veoh.com which I okay I s'pose.

It's no stage6 though!
 
[quote1204596033=Noobkiller]
wait then blackout are you rich?
[/quote1204596033]

Lol! No, I just quoted this.
I'm not Tom.

Go check out

Stage6.com

:)
 
I miss stage6. Cheers to the best high quality video hosting site on the web.
 
Mhm, it had so... high quality videos... So I guess that's how youtube is surviving, 320 x 240 resolution, crappy sound/quality..... Good times.
 
I'm going to miss the site, it was the only site with quality Hayao Miyazaki flicks (spirited away, castle in the sky, Howl's Moving Castle etc.). Its also the only website that really allowed almost anything to exist. Where as on youtube, they delete tv shows uploaded on there. I'm going to miss it :(
 
I'll miss stage six, they have.... so much good, high quality content. I'm sad to see it go. Hopefully someone comes along with a worthy replacement.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top