How to keep your Medic happy (Besides treats and a backrub...)

Mjr.Degen

I made one post
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
9
Hey guys, this is a list of things to keep in mind if you have a good medic following you around. This is based mainly on my pet peeves that have developed from personal experience:

1 ) Listen to the mic...
Countless times I've yelled, "Pyro behind us!" or, "Spy behind you!" only to be ignored. A good medic is a chatterbox while he heals so listen to him!

2 ) Don't drag us around...
The best way to lose your medic is to run into a battle as you would without one! Keep in mind that this guy behind you is doing your best to follow you, look for others, and dodge multiple projectiles all at once.

3 ) Hug corners...
There is nothing I enjoy more than a heavy who hugs a corner tight, letting me stay safe and comfortable out of the line of fire, whilst he eats more lead than a pencil sharpener. Corners are a surefire way to keep your doctor pals safe!

4 ) Stop strafing so much...
If a player is a serious Medic user, he/she's probably very good at avoiding damage. This doesn't mean as a heavy that you should flip all over the place and off ledges... we would much rather duck nice and tight behind you and use you as a shield. Of course dodging is necessary even with a medic, but try to give us a little break :(

5 ) If you've been standing still for a while, say something before you go...
If I'm healing a guy who has been shooting from the same point for a while, I'm almost always looking in the opposite direction in order to warn him of any approaching enemies from behind. Countless times I've been healing a person when suddenly I'm shocked to see my gun turn off. Spinning around I notice just in time he has launched himself after an enemy he would have beat with me, just to die a horrible painful death as I ponder where he has gone. A quick, "Hey, let's move!" is all we need.

6 ) DON'T assume that because a pipe bomb missed you, you can keep pushing forward...
Think about it, those bombs roll past you to detonate precisely as the medic who is trailing runs past them. I have become so fed up with this method of being dragged around that if a pipe bomb rolls past my target and he keeps running, I run as well.... in the opposite direction... either find another route (if your a weaker class), or take one for the team and walk over it (Soldiers and Heavies). This also applies for stickies, please don't run over a patch and hope to get lucky, chances are if the demo missed you coming through he's gonna get us.

7 ) Block doorways when fighting...
I laugh out loud every time a Pyro skips right past my target and tickles me burnt. If there is any way to wall off an opponent heading for your Medic, do it. It can be as simple as standing still in a doorway, yet it is rarely ever accomplished.

8 ) Don't be afraid to bail!
I never get it when a heavy turns a corner guns blazing and, as his health slowly dwindles faster than I can heal, he persists and dies. A quick step back out of fire for 5 seconds give you an extra 150-200 hp for when you hop back out there. If it takes 15 seconds to respawn, why not just hop out of the way for 5?

Well I wanted to bring it to a round 10 but I can't think of anymore at the moment. Hope this helps! With any luck, I'll see some of these tricks when I'm keeping you guys alive and kicking!
 
this is good advice, I do my best to keep my medic safe, and i often expect the person im healing as a medic to do the same for me, although its not always accomplished.
 
Voltaire, I practice most of these already, they're mostly common sense :P I've always taken damage from incoming rockets or pipes so medics don't, as well as building up their uber.
 
LOL good advice ;) i dont want to metion how many Medics ive draged to a battle and end up dieing due to this. B)
Ill be sure to listen to you next time Kolak, so you wont die. :D
 
[quote1205903052=David!!]
Voltaire, I practice most of these already, they're mostly common sense :P I've always taken damage from incoming rockets or pipes so medics don't, as well as building up their uber.
[/quote1205903052]

As surprising as it sounds, very few people seem to do it...
 
oh I know Degen, haha.. I began playing tf2 as medic 90% of the time, but when there aren't the right people around to heal, it became easier to play solo classes xD
 
This goes to the key to all TF2 interactions, and that is communication. A medic who says, "hey, don't go yet," is worth their weight in gold.
 
Nice...

I've only really just starting playing as medic... On and off...

I've a question.... do any of you when playing medic have the option "continue healing when button isn't pressed" so that you don't need to keep the mouse button held down?

I haven't yet... Is it a benefit or does it make it more difficult to switch who you're healing?
 
Not really much difference, but it's more convenient in the sense that it's easier to switch between players and maintain multiubers.

Sometimes your medic knows better. Don't be afraid to ask her where she thinks you should go with uber.
 
I practice those when I actually have a good medic behind me, but if I know I dont, I dont even bother. Half the time the dude's left me when I need him most, which is sad, because Me+Heavy+medic=massive amounts of points.
 
I always keep my medics happy.....but then again i am a def player so while I'm and Engi, Sniper, or Defensive Demo and I get a medic targeting me instead of a heavy, soldier, or pyro there is a big prob
 
I got one that you could add, thank the medic. I always thank someone who heals me. You don't always know if someone is a medic because they want to be, or because the team needs one. I understand in the middle of gun fight it's not so easy, but if you have the chance say thank you. I know if someone thanks me, I keep an eye out for them.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top