Samurize

Flippy the Squirrel

EGO Zealot
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
1,960
So, do any of you guys use Samurize for desktop customization? It's a pretty low CPU-use program that comes with some pretty amazing tools.

I'm starting to think that there may be a way to adapt some of the existing server status tools to work with Samurize so that we can have a continual display of eGO server status on our desktop.

Thoughts?
 
Actually I've never heard of it, which is surprising because I work in an IT department and half my day is spent scouring the net for stuff I really don't need. It looks very intriguing though. I might try it out sometime this weekend. If I do I'll post my thoughts here.
 
Would you be able to use it to show the numbers of users in the servers and then as a quick link to run tf2 and go directly to the server you've clicked on?

That would be a great tool...
 
[quote1206039958=kiniki]
Would you be able to use it to show the numbers of users in the servers and then as a quick link to run tf2 and go directly to the server you've clicked on?

That would be a great tool...
[/quote1206039958]
I'm pretty sure you could. All you'd have to do is bind a mouse click (or right-click, or double-click) to launch hl2.exe with the appropriate switches, and then it would go straight to the server you specify.

I used to mess around with it quite a bit, and did some cool stuff, but I haven't messed with it in a while.

It's also possible to create custom controls via a plugin architecture, and I know there are some talented programmers around here who could probably do some great things.
 
I'll wait until you guys hash out the logistics, then ride on the coattails of coolness. :D
 
That'd be pretty cool for people who don't have Vista. I'm using a Vista sidebar gadget that does something similar to what you're describing, and it's really handy for just seeing the statuses of our servers at a glance. Sounds a great idea.
 
[quote1206044224=HoosTrax]
That'd be pretty cool for people who don't have Vista. I'm using a Vista sidebar gadget that does something similar to what you're describing, and it's really handy for just seeing the statuses of our servers at a glance. Sounds a great idea.
[/quote1206044224]
The vista sidebars and gadgets came from programs like Samurize, and then later from Konfabulator (later purchased by Yahoo after Apple screwed them). It's funny to me that the MS [gad/wid]gets are still not as good as Samurize.

Oh, and while you're at it, you can use Objectdock to emulate the CDE/XFCE look that Apple stole.
 
[quote1206053850=Flippy Squirrel]
[quote1206044224=HoosTrax]
That'd be pretty cool for people who don't have Vista. I'm using a Vista sidebar gadget that does something similar to what you're describing, and it's really handy for just seeing the statuses of our servers at a glance. Sounds a great idea.
[/quote1206044224]
The vista sidebars and gadgets came from programs like Samurize, and then later from Konfabulator (later purchased by Yahoo after Apple screwed them). It's funny to me that the MS [gad/wid]gets are still not as good as Samurize.

Oh, and while you're at it, you can use Objectdock to emulate the CDE/XFCE look that Apple stole.
[/quote1206053850]

Whatever you said about objectdock doesn't make sense to me... but as I've downloaded it... I'm interested... can you let me know what that means in a non-technical way?
 
I didn't know this was still around. I'd played with it back when I used to tinker with shell replacements and all that silly GUI customization stuff. I remember it as being a very capable tool.
 
Very nice!

An hour after downloading it, I've replaced the sub-par system monitor that came with Google Desktop.

Monitor.jpg


Now, assuming I can beat Speedfan into being a Service, I'll probably add temperature monitors to that.

Neat program. If I was so inclined I could probably ape a new shell pretty easily.
 
[quote1206081282=kiniki]
Whatever you said about objectdock doesn't make sense to me... but as I've downloaded it... I'm interested... can you let me know what that means in a non-technical way?
[/quote1206081282]
CDE and XFCE are Unix/Linux window managers.
CDE (Common Desktop Environment) - comes standard with Sun Solaris
http://xwinman.org/screenshots/cde-edward.png

XFCE (XFree Common Environment) - open source desktop for XFree and X.org window managers
http://www.blastwave.org/articles/BLS-0028/xfce.jpg

Both of them have a look and feel that Apple made a big deal about with OS X, namely the bar across the bottom with the icons.

[quote1206081324=Oo Woody oO]
Flippy something like this?

Its pretty basic at this point, if someone want to make a better background I can stick that in. It will work for any of the source games and im not sure if COD4 is supported.

First Example - Some Detail
http://i28.tinypic.com/98vxgz.jpg

Second Example - No Detail
(DOD and CS background examples also)
http://i25.tinypic.com/1zgesuh.jpg
[/quote1206081324]
Totally awesome Woody! I'm very impressed!
 
I sent flippy the sam install pack so he should be uploading that for all you guys that want to use it.
 
Back
Top