Near Death Stories

Anders

Active Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
360
There I was....last night my dad made good 'ol Wyomin' Stew and Cornbread. I love both, so after I had some stew I cut off a piece of cornbread. Well cornbread is sorta like cake, but more hard, so it just wont go down your throat easily without some liquid, like milk (in case you didn't know), and I didn't chew the bread enough. So after swallowing, a peice became loged in my throat, then a part on top of that. After my dad (who had taken saftey classes :) ) saw that I was choking he did all the right stuff. By the time it was out, I hade been choking for like, a minute. My throat was hurting for several hours later.

Anyone else have stuff like this?
 
I was hit by a car once that was going 40 MPH while I was on my bike. I flew up in the air and dented the hood of the car with my head, slid across the asphalt (I only know this because of all the road rash I had), and passed out. I don't actually remember getting hit. This all comes third-hand from eyewitnesses. To this day, I still have problems with my legs when the weather changes, because my legs were injured ... not broken, just tweaked a little, so changing weather hurts my shins.
 
I almost drowned at a water park when I was a kid. I accidentally let go of my inner tube in the wave pool, and I was so tired from a long day of swimming that I didn't have the leg power to stay afloat above the waves. My head went under and I have no clue how long I was there. I blacked out and when I came to, I was at the edge of the pool hanging onto a guardrail. I had no clue of how I got there, and no one around me even knew what had happened.

I got home later that day and found out that my hero, my grandpa, had died. Worst day of my life.

Aaaaaaand good morning, eGO!!! :-D
 
Ive been shot at several times....and blown up a few more times. All in good fun... AlQaeda FTL!
 
I suppose it's worth mentioning, given the context of this thread, that I'm lucky to have made it to my thirties. I was born with an IVSD (IntraVentricular Septal Defect - a hole between the left and right ventricles in my heart. It's about the size of a dime now, so I'm told.) and one kidney. The end result of that is that I went into heart failure on a regular basis. I spent so much time in the hospital, in fact, that my older sisters didn't believe that I really existed until a year after I was born.

The amazing thing, for me, is that I'm the first of the first-born sons in a few generations to live. My father and his father (and a few more back, I think) had older brothers who died shortly after childbirth due to heart problems, largely (I believe) because they didn't have access to the same medical advances that were around in 1972.

There was some concern, obviously, when we decided to have kids, that heart and/or other problems might manifest, but aside from the same warped personality and penchant for rashes (sensitive skin), they're far more healthy than ever I was.

Every day that I'm alive, I consider a blessing.
 
So Flippy, can they repair the hole? Or would it require a transplant? And, I almost drowned once to add my part to this thread.
 
I had the same thing FLippy, I'm told that when I was born, I should have died, I had a hold in my heart as well. I was on oxygen for a long time. According to doctors. I should be dead.
 
So no. The hole cannot be repaired ... well, maybe it can, but it's more trouble than it's worth. I've developed a very strong heart, probably because of its need to compensate. The only side effect is that I get tired a little more easily than I would if my blood weren't mixing in my heart. Other than that, I'm perfectly healthy.
 
Except in traffic by idiots, I've never almost been killed. You're incredibly lucky, Flippy. I attended the funeral of a friend just a few years ago who'd been hit by a car doing about that speed. The great Squirrel in the Sky must have known eGO needed you.
 
Well, I was ... thirteen, I think. Here's what kind of nerd I am. The novelization of V (remember that mini-series?) had just come out, and someone at my Jr High school was reading it and said that she was returning it to the library that day. We didn't have a TV, and I really wanted to read the story, so I rode my bike to the library. (Jubei, since you'll ask, it was the Juan Tabo branch near Candelaria)

I was not a very prudent kid, probably fully in the throes of my ADD at that point, and rode across the street without checking as thoroughly as I could have. I knew I could make it past the car in the first lane, and the second lane, but didn't know about the one in the next lane, cause the one in the second lane obscured it.

I remember starting to cross the street, pedaling as fast as I could, and then waking up on the street with paramedics standing over me, asking me my name and stuff like that. They took me to the hospital, I told them which one, because my mom worked at that one.

I had a couple of cuts on my legs. No broken bones. I had road rash on my back. I had some cuts on my head from denting the hood with it. My bike was frikkin' demolished, with a tire bent into a U shape and the frame smashed to hell.

I didn't even get to miss any school, because I was hit on Friday and was well enough to go to school on Monday (except for the road rash which hurt lots, especially when my friends would clap me on the back and tell me how they hoped I felt okay.)

Strangely enough, I didn't get hold of that book until about six or seven years later, and it wasn't really worth all that effort. I could have just stayed home that day.
 
Wow, Flippy, no broken bones or anything? Amazing.

My brother, sister, and I were flying back to Gulfport about a year ago after a trip to Arizona to see my grandfather. The weather was so bad, rainy and windy. The plane was bouncing around horribly. As we were descending, we were looking out the window and I turned to my sister and said we can't do this. Right as we were about to land the plane tilted. We looked over to the left side of the plane and we could see the wing. It came so close to touching the ground. It was all in slow motion though. The pilot jumped the plane back up in the air very quickly. They said they were going to try again and some dude in front of us started saying The Lord's Prayer and until we touched down, everyone in the plane was saying it out loud together. It was an amazingly spiritual experience as well as frightening. All of the flight attendants and people in the airport looked completely wide eyed and shaken just like we were. It was crazy to look around at the people as we came off the plane and realize that we would probably never see each other again, yet we shared one of the most personal experiences in most of our lives.
 
Sorry Purple, but I've had an experience like that on my way to Orlando from Memphis. People were looking at me weird because I was laughing. What a wild ride! I was listening to Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young" at the time, and the irony didn't hit me till later. Anyway, I cannot express the importance of a good song during life-threatening situations.

Also, for me, it would help my soul rest easier if I died knowing there was nothing I could have done.

Am I weird/insane?
 
[quote1207451403=Noobkiller]
Flippy=luckest person I KNOW!!
He should go play the lottery or go to vegas :O
[/quote1207451403]
Interestingly enough, I'm quite unlucky when it comes to gambling, fishing, any games of chance. I think maybe I used all my luck up. :D
 
When I went to school in the states I had no idea that many students held guns. I went to school one day played soccer. Bunch of black kids come over and they kick the ball then i go "Dude, WTF?"
He punches me and all his friends jump me. I fight back then I hit 2 in the face and then I guess the guys brother comes over and puts a gun to my face. The principal comes in and everyone is trying to break it up. I just ran and went home.

Thats one of the reason we came back to Korea.
 
Hm. None of the students in my school had guns. What neighborhood were you living in? =)
 
yeah i would be scared too if i had a gun to my face...ive never known anyone in my school to ever bring a gun to school
 
i've got a few.

When I was 8, i was swimming the day before a hurricane in Hawaii with my dad. I got knocked out by a wave, and floated face up to the surface, where my dad dragged me out of the water.

Same vacation, not two days later, the hurricane passed, we go fishing, and my dad drops his fishing rod off a dock. He lowers me down to grab it, and I almost get my face bitten off by a 5 foot barracuda.

Two weeks ago, i'm driving my car and trying to change the music on my Zen, and i look up to find a tree not 3 feet in front of my car.
 
The time: 2:30 AM (Mountain Time)
The Date: Sunday, April 06
The attacker: Fluffy
.....shes coming.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top