SNIPES IN PRISON

While I didn't know he was evading taxes, I don't care. He broke the law and he gets punished. Just because he's famous in Hollywood doesn't mean he should get special treatment.
 
[quote1209074262=theblahman]
Just because he's famous in Hollywood doesn't mean he should get special treatment.
[/quote1209074262]
 
No, even if he was a starlett, they wouldn't have let him out in a week. Driving drunk, and therefore showing callous disregard for the lives of other drivers on the road is no big deal. Heck, killing an innocent person while driving drunk won't get you much jail time. Yes, this is verbal irony, and I find these things outrageous.

But man, if you evade taxes, well, you're hitting Uncle Sam in the wallet and it's all over.

The got Capone on tax evasion.

The back story is that Snipes bought into one of the groups that peddles the "you don't have to pay taxes because..." line. Well, court case after court case says despite all the objections, you really do have to pay taxes, and the government will catch up with you if you don't.

They caught up with him. You can argue all you like about how invalid the 16th amendment is and why, but when it comes down to it, they're going to put you in jail for evading taxes, period. So don't bother with the technical arguments. If you don't like a law, lobby to change it, don't break it.

Mr. Snipes chose poorly, I'm afraid, and he's probably going to do time because of it.
 
I wish I really cared about celebrities...

However, it just steams me when they get better treatment than that of a "normal" citizen/resident.
 
It seems to me like he got shafted into three years in prison for three misdemeanors because he is Wesley Snipes.

I'm not a fan of our current tax code. I believe the FairTax plan is a much better answer.
[link=hyperlink url]www.fairtax.org[/link]
 
The more I think about this, the angrier I get. It's alright for Mel Gibson to denigrate an entire race while driving drunk (an anti-Semitic one-ton missile guided by a toasted guidance chip) but Wesley Snipes uses the same anti-tax measures that every celebrity / rich person in any tax-paying country has been using since the beginning of taxation, and gets three years? Three. Years. Say it to yourself. Imagine what you could do in three years. So because he didn't pay for government services, WE all get to pay for his lengthy incarceration. Yay timeout. :( I can't help but think that Wesley Snipes being the antithesis of the government/media complex's stereotypical image of a black offender has a role in this, as well. No me gusta. I can't write about it anymore without risking my status on these forums, so I will digress. Still. GRRRR.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top