Ranks and Points Bother Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I play for fun. Now, I'm not beyond getting pissed off when I get killed by crit rockets 5 times in a row, but I've done my fair share of trying to punch out sentries and ubering scouts (before the achievement pack was released, thank you very much).
 
I'm seeing a lot of "I play for fun that's why my rank sucks" comments. Do most of you think anyone with a high a rank doesn't play for fun? lol
 
I think if you guys look at the top 50 players, you're going to see a lot of different "favorite classes" represented (with the exception of scout and spy). It's not just engies. People who primarily play medic, sniper, pyro, demoman, or soldier as their favorite class have all made the top 10 at some point.

I'm not sure if a heavy has cracked the top 10, but there are definitely some highly ranked ones (one of the pubs, Hulihudu, comes to mind). Kaiwi made the #2 spot as a medic before she "retired" from playing.

So if you have to play a class you hate to try to gain points and rank - well where's the fun in that?

Edit: Actually, I might have to take that comment about the spy class back. I recall being aggravated by Kolak repeatedly backstabbing me as a spy when he made his run to the #2 position ~:( ...
 
It is always funny to see people assuming engineers are toping all hlstats charts across the servers. Some of the other servers I had played had no engineer on top 10, and engineers are not doing too well on the global chart. Go check out the global chart, and you won't see too many engineers in top 20.

I guess I don't care about the points any more. Like many of you, I play TF2 because it is fun.
 
I am going to go ahead and just bite my lip on this one. I have very mixed feelings towards the HLX rankings and point system. I stopped caring about rank after I hit 15, because I realized that what I was doing had happened before and caused me to quit counter-strike and DoD. My advice towards everyone is to not worry about your point totals on HLX. The moment you start caring, you will be sucked into a game that is not TF2, but rather the point race game. You will lose interest in the point race game very quickly, and since it is directly proportional to TF2, you will lose interest in that as well. Sacrificing point totals for in-game play style and fun is a ridiculous way to play. Just play to your best ability and your rank will show it. If you really like to see your stats, worry about the current session. I am happy when I see a 120-25 record and my name atop the scoreboard. That is the only thing that matters to me when it comes to stats. If I cared about ranks and point totals, I would be doing league play right now, not playing in an organization such as EdgeGamers™. It is a place where I can escape things that have caused stress for me in the past. I don't want it to be ruined, this thing that I have found, that allows for me to play without judgment nor criticism. All that matters is that I can play and be happy about what I am doing.

So much for biting my lip...
 
that's what it is for me....all I try to do is get points now. The only reason i bought tf2 was because of the spy, and i can't even play it on ego because of my rank. It's not really fun for me anymore, because that's all i try to get now. I went spy for a bit and lost about 200 points and I couldn't stand it anymore so i went medic again.

I just hate how it appears all the time. not to mention WTB events make me try even harder.
 
I play for fun (that's why we play right? I already have a job I work at =). Besides that, I tend to switch to the class that is most needed. Before the update, I was playing a lot of medic/demo. Now, I haven't played medic except for a few instances, but I've played more of the other classes (Heavy/pyro/soldier). The only class I really am no good at (yet) is spy. i just haven't figured it out. I like to KILL or HEAL not sneak ;).

Points are cool just to see how i did some rounds. I review the events log sometimes to see just how many people I killed with that one ubered pyro rush =)

Play to have fun, teamwork and to win.
-Groo
 
I think, in the long run, most players realize the points system is worthless. However, if you look at these stories, there's so many players who start caring only about points and not about having fun. When your points pop on your screen every few seconds, it's hard not to get pressured into wondering how something's going to affect your points. I love doing comedic stuff like running around with a few friends as a boxing heavy, or a soldier whipping out his shovel and trying to take on a crowd with it. Sometimes, like today on Warpath, spy rushes are hilarious. When I'm standing around during setup, I'll hit a key I bound to make myself explode when a medic finishes building their uber on me or if a random soldier fires a rocket at me, just for the sake of comedy.

Because of this points system, when I do that, some little part of my mind goes "There went five points for a suicide."

I love HLX for all the other stats. Kills, what weapons you use most, who's got the most kills with what, all that. I hate it for points. If our servers were running a mod that disabled the point/ranking system, or if we periodically reset everyone's points (and only points--I'd be upset if I lost my total kills and play time), I think a lot of people would be happier. Heck, we might lose a few people who were in it for the points, but I'd actually like to see such people leave.
 
Azznik said:

Anyone that plays when I'm on knows that I play for fun and for the team that I am on. I probably suicide more than anyone because I don't care when I'm playing pyro if I die. Matter of fact, if you are not dying playing pyro, then you are not playing the class correctly. I get dominated by everyone due to my reckless, kamakaze style but that is the fun part to me. Pushing back the entire team and maybe burning a medic up and hopefully get to fuse or thatguy to light them up is the good stuff in the game.

Mental replies:

Classical Warpath Pyro type :) ( I do the same as you do Azznik, i think you're right , i try not to die too much though but i'm way to reckless) )
 
Yeah, the reason I play spy, Just so much more satisfying getting all those kills when you have to work hard for them.
 
I play for fun.

I play whatever class I think the team needs to help them win.

If I only played certain classes, I could probably get my K:D ratio higher.



 
I play for fun, although I love keep tabs on my stats. I don't try to pad them or anything.

I try to play what the team needs within my skill level. I'm not the greatest Soldier, or Heavy or Spy. But I'm a pretty decent demo/pyro/medic and I'll snipe whenever I can.

I try to keep my KpD above 1 because then that means at least on average I'm killing more than I'm dying which means I'm still helping my team mates.
 
when i worry about my points, i play bad and end up with negative points for the session. When I DON'T worry about the points, I have alot of fun and have positive points for the session.

I think I'm on to something here........
 
[quote1210386562=Drew The Pirate]
I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the pressure the point system puts on me.
[/quote1210386562]

I couldn't...... disagree more.
I believe points motivate people to preform their best.
Points, minus those who stat pad with engineer buildings, are an ok indicator of oh how well a person functions as part of the team. Sure it can't factor distractions and blocking übers ; however, player who are more valuable assets will TEND to have higher scores, even new people can climb into the top 500 fairly easily. Points can be a good motivation to promote team work. I pesronlly die less and lose less points when i am cooperating and rbeating the other team. I don't see why so many people are bashing the points system. I applaud it.

It's not like I'm not having fun, in fact i have more fun when i know my progress is being tract.
Sorry to have run off on a tanget!
 
To be honest, the point system on any server I visit will just make me want to get better and better on that server. It makes for some fun times and some pretty awkward situations when your parents bust you at 4 am playing css or dods.
 
After rereading my post, I feel like I should appologize. I did not mean to insinuate that the people in the top rankings were not good players and I know they are not all primarily engineers. But from my own experience, my points seem to go up a lot faster when playing engineer. On the other hand, I don't know that it's possible to have a perfect ranking system so I should probably be happy with it and shut up. On a slightly related note, I think it's pretty cool that there are over 600 pages of players that have played on eGO servers. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top