School Project!

IceFox

I made one post
Joined
Feb 17, 2008
Messages
26
------------------------------------------------

-EDIT-

sorry all, there's a change of plans. my school (and thus school district) does not allow students' own computers to use their network to connect to the internet. this means i cannot connect to my game server tomorrow during my presentation. so in the last minute i'm going to change the time to 10:45 AM CST Tommorow. it's NOT at 6:30 anymore. i'm just going to be playing at home and recording what i can either with fraps/demos and show them at the presentation. it won't be so bad hopefully.

this is definitely going to mess things up for some of you, but if i can have just a few players, i should be happy. again, thanks for each of you trying to help me out. my planning and time management need some work apparently :/

the maps may be up tonight (it can be very late) so you can join the server to download the two tf2 maps ahead of time. the server should be running overnight as well as all day tomorrow so you're welcome to join in anytime, but 10:45 AM is when i will join in myself and begin recording gameplay.

70.115.225.100
password: icefox


----------------------------------------------------------------


this is a super long post, but i hope some people read this and consider it.

so im in this class in school called Independent Study Mentorship which basically allows any student to study whatever topic they want. i chose 3D Animation / Game Modding. the whole year was basically research the topic and at the end of the year show a final product created by myself. thus, i created my own map for the Source Engine, which happens to be a virtual copy of my own high school. i intend it to be viewed as a realistic render in counter-strike: source and also have CP and CTF versions of it in team fortress 2.

so here's the deal. my final presentation of the year is this thursday at 6:30-7:30 (central time) and im really hoping that i can have my map up and running in a populated server. that is so i can demonstrate during my presentation the map i have created along with real live gameplay. thing is, i don't know many friends who play tf2...that is besides all my eGO buddies that i play with all the time.

i plan to run my own server at my house, and im hoping all of you guys could do me a huge favor and join this thursday at 6:30 (central time) until 7:30 (i wont be joining myself until around 7 because i will be presenting during this time). here is the IP address.

70.115.225.100

password: icefox

yes, i know that this post is long and asking for a lot. i also read the sticky that said no recruiting for other events/servers. but im not sure if this falls in that same category. sorry if im wasting your time right now. but the reason i came here to ask is because i know eGO players can keep a server populated and fun, while keeping a game clean and punk free. thank you in advance. oh and here are some screenshots if it persuades you to try out my map for just a few minutes. i am a beginner mapper, although i have spent a lot of time on my own trying to learn everything there is to know.

xcourtyard0000.jpg

xcourtyard0001.jpg
 
This looks good some epic sniping. I would be up for trying to get on if I'm off work in time. Probably something you should ask the higher ups about advertising for first though.
 
I'll try to be around, but my schedule is pretty random. I've added the IP to my faves so here's hoping.
 
Dude, that looks awsome. That must have been a bunch of hours you put in there. I do my best to be there. Added it also to favorites. You might want to do a test run on Wednesday or so to make sure all is running like it is supposed too! Also so we can DL the map and avoid this on Thursday. Again, great job.



 
Looks pretty good. I'll have a quick run round and give you some feedback. I'm very into mapping so looking forward to it.

Just finished checking timezones and that, I won't be able to attend since I'll be at school at that time, but I hope it goes well, and good luck!
 
Is that a map of your school? Tight, I was thinking of making one of those.

I'll try to help ya out!
 
thanks for the feedback so far. i would want as many people joining as i can especially around 7 (CST), so feel free to invite whoever you'd like that day.

yeah, i figure it would be ridiculously easy for snipers to play on this map. i may end up changing the rules to what weapons/classes are allowed for that reason. it's also to keep the game violence at a minimum :/ because after all it's my high school and i could be showing this to school board members.

thanks!
 
The map looks great. Let's just hope you dont get in trouble for having a whole bunch of people with guns running around your school
 
that looks hot. I'll be there, though I won't be able to stay long because I'll be studying for exams.
 
The map looks good =)

I really kind of feel like a damper saying this but I figure better safe than never. I have read several accounts of kids getting suspended and stuff for making CS maps of their schools; apparently, this means you are intent on repeating Columbine. I don't know what part of the country you are from Icefox, or how liberal/conservative the area is, but I'd be sure to keep that in mind. Some people in today's world are a little ridiculous.
 
As was said previously, I would make sure that you've OK'd everything with your teacher about the idea of using the school as a virtual battleground. If they had a problem with it, you could always just run it by yourself and choose spectator so you could just free-fly around and show it off.

Also, you may want to think about the possibility that people don't always "behave". If you are inviting non-eGO people into the server you run the risk of abusive/foul language and inappropriate sprays (not to mention possible exploiting if the map hasn't been fully tested). I honestly think, if you are going to have people actually playing on the map, it would be best to have a prerecorded video of it. So many things could go wrong trying to do it all live.

I also think it would be imperative to have an hour "test run" to make sure everything would go smoothly. Also, if you've never run a public server before, it can be tricky to get it set up properly the first time.

At any rate, feel free to add me to Steam Friends if you want any help, I should be around Thursday night (click here: steam://friends/add/76561197963816933 ).

Oh, and nice job on the map. It looks awesome. :)
 
I reckon you could have a much larger game and better turnout if you pretested the map and recorded it. Some editting and cutting could make a top grade project. If you did this and passworded the server, but posted the password here then it would mean you would get no abusive language, sprays, etc, as we're all pretty well behaved, right? Right?
As a sidenote that map looks great, congrats.
 
Yeah lets hope this doesnt end up on CNN blown out of proportion. If anything find a mod that replaces everything with bunnies and kittens.
 
Dude! It looks awesome. I will be there. By the way, if you do take a live run, put a password on so only select people can get on. And then we could be your puppets for the level.
 
cool. yeah i have considered the risks and have heard of kids getting caught for making maps of their schools as well. that is why i plan to remove blood (if possible by removing those textures from my game files?) and also restrict the game to where only scouts with bats and heavies with fists will be allowed. no guns! also, my teacher has warned me for the same reasons, but she approved of it.

i will take all of your advice and try to have a short gameplay video if something terrible happens that day. i've hosted css maps from home before so im not worried about getting a dedicated server up.

remember! 6:30 CST at IP 70.115.225.100
if you'd like to wait and join at 7, that's fine.

and i've just decided that there should be a password. only eGO members are invited so not to worry...

password: icefox

thanks again!
 
Maybe load the map into Garry's mod, and have people play in that, building stuff?

No one wants you to get in trouble, and a little friendly construction in Garry's Mod gets you live play demonstration with no violence. Even better, if you say you are loading it up in Garry's Mod, a physics sandbox, instead of Counter Strike or Team Fortress 2, it wont set off an alarm in any of the school administrators heads saying "oh great a violent videogame set in our very own school".

If you don't want construction you could run a Garry's Mod mini game like freeze tag or something.
 
dude, map looks sweet. nice job on it! seems fun, and ill be on for my time 730-830 for eastern time. ill join, i would love to help out. ill add it to my favs and check it out tomorrow.
 
kwietuhs, that sounds like a great idea but would take me more than two days to figure out how i can get all that into garry's mod and do the freeze tag thing. i'm just going to stick with what i got: scouts with bats and no blood. perhaps that would be something i can do in the future.

i want to get the server up and running as soon as i can (hopefully tonight!) because as menopaws reminded me, the map is going to take a long time to download, not to mention that it's quite a large map (file size).

my server is running atm, but just dustbowl. so you can add it to your favs if you'd like...
 

Latest posts

Back
Top