Blackmesa final test - post complaints here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonhill

Thread Junky
=(e)=
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
772
This will be the last chance to identify any deal breakers for blackmesa

if there was something you have posted before that was not addressed feel free to repost but there is a good chance it was not implemented due to design considerations.

unless something really bad pops up this version will be the final with only some additional support files added (the cube_maps will have materials assigned for better reflection).

I thank everyone for their help (GardenGrove is at the top of this list)

~D
 
The map is great, it does get irritating though when it gets into stalemates all of the time as with any map, with a sentry at every enemy last cap door and 7 engies inside lol...

A sudden death mod added to it would be nice...
 
I mentioned this in-game, but I'll state it again for completeness sake...

- when you unlock the white moving floor that decends (I think by capping C or L, depending), if you stand on it as it is going down it glitches a bit and you can't move until a few seconds after it has stopped.

- If you stickyjump at L or C (I think...) you will get carried upwards and into a fan. I don't know if this is intentional, but that must be one MONSTER fan to pull me up like that ;)

- I get issues when respawning or right before setup, like I'm disconnected from the server for a sec or I'll lag real bad. Perhaps there's too much stuff in the respawn room? I don't know.

Other than that, once I got the hang of the cap point layout and when the doors open, things were fine.
 
1) I mentioned to you last night, fan suction doesn't work sometimes, as it just spits you back down
2) I would LOVE a sudden death mod for this.

Otherwise, good job on the new version :)
 
the only problems I have with the map is
1. The connection errors upon joining a team and a new round starts
2. I don't get the 10 second setup time?
 
The other thing I noticed on the last version (you may have fixed this, I don't know) is that when we were running out of time and approaching stalemate, capping a point only added 30 seconds or so to the round. Don't know if that was intentional either...
 
I still can't find L or C without going the long way :P

the only thing that really keeps it from feeling professional to me is the connection error at the beginning, but if it can't be helped, so be it.
 
Pros
-Interesting map
-Pretty
-Let's you play around as Spy/Sniper even if you suck at those classes

Suggestions
-HDR was in Delta 2, I liked it, it would be nice to have the option.
-The lifts next to L and C glitch up and become difficult to walk on, and sometimes they don't descend/ascend properly, in Delta 2 these were working.
-Make A easier a tad bit easier to navigate aside from boxes that say BLU/RED on them. I always get lost looking for the shortcuts around A and the boxes are hard to focus on.
-Make the final room have a bigger door, people can easily be blocked out and sentries can easily be kept up, if someone charges in with uber all you have to do is stand in front of them and they will have a real hard time accomplishing anything :).
-Make the bases more unique so that you will have an easier time recognizing you're in RED or BLU, some rooms are obvious and some are less obvious.
-The air vents sometimes don't properly take you up to C or L, and sometimes
they don't take you up at all (they get you hovering though, they don't work until A is capped obviously).

Cons
The bugs impairing movement restrict how much fun I can have.

Hope that didn't sound too bad.
 
Last edited:
Yea, it can be real irritating because stalematyes can be so easy, the doors are too easy to block...*begs for sudden death mod*
 
To re-iterate the other sentiments, that last capture point is a problem. A well placed sentry or two makes it extremely difficult to capture. It rather forces a team to use ubers to get a well defended last cap.

I don't think sudden death is the right answer, I'd like to see some other solution.

I'm thinking of some other type of entry point rather than closed doors. I look at the examples of the official maps. Gravelpit has a great final cap, it's right near the defending spawn, but since it's up on a tower, with several entry points, it's makes for a challenge for both sides.

Maybe you could make that room taller, remove the doors and make the entry points larger. Then, within the room put a tall platform with the cap on top. Put few ramps on allow people to get up the cap. That way, people might have a chance against taking out sentries and that would allow for more variety in how people can attack and defend that last cap.
 
I'm going to end this begging for sudden death.
Sudden Death isn't based on the map, it is based on whether the server has it on or not
 
After looking over the last cap point i have several options which basically will take too long. The quickest and simplest would be removing the door entirely and widening it a little. I think I'm going to go this route. None of the other cap points have a narrow door that is constantly opening and closing. Yes, this sucks for the engineers BUT they still can stop a steam rolling team for a few seconds to allow the defenders to get into place and not feel like they were rolled. it also allows the noobs to see the room as they run past it and realize what it is (not just a closet to the side).
all work will be final tonite. The suction vents are working better today, kill plane has been increased to the actual floor, found a rogue push trigger on one of the platforms, adjusted cap point letter overlays on B and K rooms. Platforms move faster.
 
LOVE the map Dragonhill! I can't wait to get home from Florida and play it. The only "glitch" that I really could think of is jumping up the vent very rarely I got stuck under a metal object and just glided back down, I think it had trouble pulling me up or something with the way I jumped. Other than that, I can't think of anything. I'd ask Carmine, since he LOVES the map, too.

MOZ
 
That might be the best solution. The biggest problem with that room is that soldiers and demomen have to actually get into the doorway to attack the room.
 
I found a glitch in Blackmesa. I don't know if it has been posted before so I'll just post it here.

I don't know how it happened but I was heading to the L to defend it and I was crossing the elevator, and I got stuck halfway through the elevator. I was able to move but not very quickly and I could not get off the elevator platform.
 
I found a rogue trigger push on that elevator (was testing it to see if it helped..it did not)

the trigger push is now gone

~D
 
At points C and L when you sticky or rocket jump it sucks you up to demise, it is possable to get stuck on the pipes and vent grills. Is's happened to me twice. Here's a fer pics from the second time.

 
just finished player clipping the side vent grills, removed the pipes
thanx for the pics

~D
 
There are some problems with elevators - first: theres something strange with movement on them - it's way slower and a bit buggy. Second: there is a way to get stuck when they come up - youre just stuck between elevator and the room above and you completely cannot move.

In everything else this is just Great map - one of my favorites
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top