Backburner related (beyond obviously broken)

Hold up there sparky. The axetinguisher is not supposed to crit if the enemy isn't on fire. The descriptions says that it has 100% crit on burning enemies, 50% damage to non-burning enemies, and doesn't crit on non-burning enemies. It sounds like you've actually found a bug, not something meant to be in there.

Whoops, guess It is a bug. For some reason I never saw the line in the description that says it cannot crit on non burning enemies. Though I've had it crit many times.
 
Point #1. The backburner can still get normal crits when facing an enemy, they are not taken away, the only part taken away from the pyro is the compression blast.

Point #2. It is called TEAM Fortress 2 for a reason. It takes teamwork to take certain units. Take the heavy for example. If a scout rushes a heavy head on 1 on 1, that scout is almost sure to die. So why would you rush head on against the pyro?

I dont think it couldve been put better, just play the game smart, and play the game as a team.
 
I definitely feel some frustration in constantly playing with and against pyro-heavy teams and, while I don't think the pyro is terribly unbalanced, I do think something is wrong with the backburner.

I don't know if the game actually calculates damage like this, but it feels like the flamethrower (and backburner) is an area of effect weapon. Unlike a pistol that clearly does damage along a single angle to a specific point, the "flames" seem to consist of multiple elements that collectively deal damage as they come in contact with an enemy.

To visualize the particular area of effect the flamethrower/backburner seems to have, imagine a gust of wind traveling toward a cone. Instead of specifically impacting the front and immediately dissipating, the wind (at least in part) diverges toward and converges from the curved surface of the cone, giving it the appearance of "wrapping around" the cone as it passes.

This effect always seemed to occur with the regular flamethrower: if you stand too close you only deal some damage to whichever side of your opponent faces you; attack from too far away (but still close enough for the edge of the plume to hit) and experience a similar effect; but if you attack from the right range the plume of flames seem to "engulf" the target and do more damage. The backburner seems to operate this way as well, except when attacking from a range that allows the flames to engulf the target, you crit automatically since some of the the damage is calculated as hitting your opponent's backward quarter.

In other words, the ability to deal damage calculated as coming from behind your opponent doesn't totally depend on your initial angle of attack when using the flamethrower/backburner.

Whether this is what Valve intended or not, or even if this is really what's happening, I'm not sure. However, it seems to fit what I have observed and many have complained about.
 
But a hit in the back with the backburner is not really a crit, because it doesn't turn white or have a increased range. So what happens when you crit AND hit somebody in the back... How many damage does a crit anyway? x2?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top