Not Planned [CS TTT] Give Detectives Starting Armor or Riot Shield

Jacko

Jailbreak Connoisseur
=(eGO)=
Joined
Jun 15, 2018
Messages
1,500
Detectives should spawn with Kevlar+Helmet or a Riot Shield at the start of the round. Detectives typically should be buying a DNA Scanner at the start instead of wasting it on armor/Riot Shield.

If this proves to be too strong for the Detectives we can balance it out by reducing their starting hp from 125 --> 100.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Detectives should spawn with Kevlar+Helmet or a Riot Shield at the start of the round. Detectives typically should be buying a DNA Scanner at the start instead of wasting it on armor/Riot Shield. If this proves to be too strong for the Detectives we can balance it out by reducing their starting hp from 125 --> 100
+1
 
In my opinion the detectives are already pretty balanced and can be very OP if they don't die off start.
 
as i can see and i have played TTT alot, if its a good detective its broken newer people tend to not know what to do or buy, so maybe give them a little help like on JB if you are last guard or something it gives you instructions what to do
 
In my opinion the detectives are already pretty balanced and can be very OP if they don't die off start.
I mean yeah but some people don’t have a bind to open a menu and mostly have to type !menu (which makes them very vulnerable) so in my opinion I think detectives just get Kevlar but no helmat 🤷
 
I'm split on this issue personally, and I can see both sides of it. This has been brought up in the Server Specialist chat quite recently and I'm waiting to hear from other people to see what they think.

Pros
  • Provides more incentive for players to buy a DNA Scanner, which is useful for many reasons including the fact that a Detective wo/ a DNA Scanner is not as useful in the long run, having a D with a Scanner gives the innos something to do, it makes rounds a bit quicker as Ts can actually be KOSed in a way that they can be killed
  • Makes it a bit easier for less experienced Detectives to avoid getting killed the second the round starts (especially when you happen to tase a T with your starting taser)
  • Can allow the Detective to stay alive for longer, making rounds in which Ts delay less likely, this also promotes a better T playstyle which is more so strategic fast killing as compared to slow 1-by-1 strategies that take the entire round (when admins aren't on this is especially annoying)
  • Will help Detectives without microphones, as they'll have to be vulnerable typing in chat or pressing a KOS keybind

Cons
  • Currently, I'd say that TTT is fairly well balanced. By making changes (even minor like this) can throw off the balance that we currently have, and such changes need to be made carefully. As it is, you have the choice of buying armour and a shield, another taser, or a DNA Scanner. Playstyles that are all well known amongst the active players and tried & tested. Each have their own uses:
    • The DNA Scanner style is the most common as it's useful in both the short and long term, you can KOS a lot of people fairly quickly in a way that's very useful to the innos, while leaving you not as protected -- which is a tradeoff for being so useful.
    • The shield & armour style is not as common, as it's not particularly effective in either the short or the long run, costing the full 1000 credits and leaving you with only your taser and people shooting at you as a way to KOS, not as useful but you'll survive longer.
    • The Taser strategy is a bit more common, and is more of a gamble -- mostly used if you got a T with your starting taser and have extra credits. If you tase T(s) then you get the best of both above strategies, if not, you get neither and are stuck very vulnerable with no good way of KOSing people

Overall, I'm fairly split but personally lean towards keeping it as is (although I may be biased getting so used to the current TTT playstyle as an experienced player, less experienced players benefit a lot more from this suggestion) -- or implementing Armour by default (imo the shield should remain a Shop & RTD item). The majority of even barely experienced Detectives will know to buy a DNA Scanner, and the ones who employ the other strategies understand the limitations & risks of them. Of course it's entirely possible I've had a complete oversight in my logic which is why we discuss such things in the Server Specialist chats.
 
Last edited:
I'm split on this issue personally, and I can see both sides of it. This has been brought up in the Server Specialist chat quite recently and I'm waiting to hear from other people to see what they think.

...

Fantastic insight and very well put. I can see the hesitancy with this being implemented. My main goal was to encourage more Detectives to purchase a DNA scanner. Maybe this can simply be achieved by moving the DNA Scanner's position in the buy menu further up the list as opposed to Kevlar+Helm being the first option.
 
Fantastic insight and very well put. I can see the hesitancy with this being implemented. My main goal was to encourage more Detectives to purchase a DNA scanner. Maybe this can simply be achieved by moving the DNA Scanner's position in the buy menu further up the list as opposed to Kevlar+Helm being the first option.
Moving Kevlar + Helm up would ruin the consistency of having it be the first option on all !shop menus, but that may actually be a good thing. More often than I care to admit I accidentally end up buying Armour instead of a DNA Scanner. I'm not sure what impact it would have on the frequency of DNA Scanner being used, but it may be a good idea regardless. Perhaps a quick tutorial on the DNA Scanner way to play Detective in chat may be a decent idea if the sole purpose is to encourage Detectives to buy one.

EDIT: Actually I can't remember but iirc DNA Scanner is above Armour (1 and 2 respectively), it's been a while since I haven't used keybinds
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top