A message to the e's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make it official? Sticky? MOTD?
So everyone can see it.
Logic never fails.
 
i tried @ to send a message. it didn't appear to work. it just typed (in all chat)
@Any admins here
 
This is Exactly what I was talking about in my post. You shouldn't do it!

If you say that as anything, (recruit, admin, whatever) people can feign ignorance, and they can certainly dodge it better than when you just tell them personally.
Thats still not a problem. The problem is e's usurping. If there's an eGO in the room, let them handle it. If they dont, then there's another problem.

e's shouldnt even be worrying about language unless they're alone.

As far as keeping it personal, I dont know. I dont think it matters. I never had much problem with people ignoring me. If you want, bind a couple different ones.
 
Last edited:
Great post Newman. I've seen particular =(e)='s going "language" the second someone says something bad, when I'm still typing "Please watch the language sir/ma'am". Usually they flare up and it gets out of hand when they say "language", especially when many people say it at the same time.
 
As far as keeping it personal, I dont know. I dont think it matters. I never had much problem with people ignoring me. If you want, bind a couple different ones.

hmm, what i like to do is to do a bind the first time, then do a more personal one.

or if they're on my team, i just use my mic :)

it's oh so much easier than typing
 
hmm, what i like to do is to do a bind the first time, then do a more personal one.

or if they're on my team, i just use my mic :)

it's oh so much easier than typing

the problem with using the mic, is that there is no written log of the warning, so taht can screw u over with a ban request
 
Is there a way to keybind admin chat?

Like T for chat, Y for teamchat, and U for admin chat?

By admin chat I mean having it open up team chat and insert the @ automatically?

Yeah you can hit @test first, but I've seen others as well as myself get in a hurry and type the message only to broadcast it, even after trying a test. And I have all these unused keys just sitting here. :)
 
Is there a way to keybind admin chat?

Like T for chat, Y for teamchat, and U for admin chat?

By admin chat I mean having it open up team chat and insert the @ automatically?

Yeah you can hit @test first, but I've seen others as well as myself get in a hurry and type the message only to broadcast it, even after trying a test. And I have all these unused keys just sitting here. :)

no there is no way, you'll have to insert the @ your self
 
ok, i added some really good things that you guys said into the first post so they are easier to see for people and kinda of a bump
 
Hey, I've got a question about this somewhat. Personally, I've only done it once on Strand when I was the only member of eGO and the guy was nice enough to settle down, and I've actually not seen many e's usurp when there's an admin about. However, you did mention using the admin chat to let admins on the other team know if there's someone causing problems on your team, and here's my question related to that. If there is no admin on your team, is it okay to let the possible problem maker know first and if they continue/ignore it and/or become belligerent then proceed to let the admin know? Or should you just let the admin know immediately?

Actually got another question too, what's a reasonable amount of time to, I guess, admin check? By this I mean, what's a fairly average/reasonable amount of time to assume that an admin is taking charge of a situation, before letting him/her know that he/she missed something. I mean, I know that sounds really arrogant coming from an e, but every so often I see an admin (eG and/or eGO) who ignores something, so far only language. I'll be sitting there a minute or two and see nothing, and want to say something, but hold my tongue. I know this question seems like I want to usurp power, but it looks kinda lackadaisical when admins just let language slide without so much as a warning, then suddenly 5 minutes or so later when one or several other things are said the admin gets on the player like it was the very first time.

I know the questions really seem like I want to overthrow admin, but I don't. I've been genuinely curious about what I should do in some situations like that, but I just don't/didn't know who or where to ask. I never speak out against someone for language while an admin is present, and if it's anything else I just let them know. So please, I mean no disrespect to any admins with these questions, but I really would like an answer.
 
Your first question i would say let them know as soon as possible.

For the second, I miss some thing, occasionally. Fellow e's give it like a minute or two and notify me through admin chat. I appreciate when they do this. I then go back and look to see if its true. If it is then i deal with it. It is helpful when you miss something and e's notify and admin.
 
Alright, so first of all, to answer your first question, I think it would be best to tell an admin if someone is swearing through teamchat, and not tell him to quiet down yourself. if it's in all chat, it goes without saying that you should let the admin handle it.

Typically, if someone tells me someone is swearing through teamchat, and I'm the only admin in the server, I tend to switch teams and just watch. This tends to calm people down, to know that an admin is watching them. This is also typically more effective than if an e yells at them.

As for reasonable time... It's a tough one. I will typically address problems as quickly as I can, but realize we can only type at a limited speed, and certain messages are long. for simple swearing, I know it's tough to do, but if an admin hasn't answered it in a minute or so, it's probably best to let it slide. The admin might have chosen to let it go (because everyone makes mistakes every once and a while) or the admin may not have seen it. If it only happens once, then it's probably not a problem.

However, if you see an admin ignoring someone blatantly swearing more than once, you need to ask them. Tell them in admin chat. If they don't respond to you, you should phone up another admin or even an advisor on steam (which all e's should have in their friends list).

Now, that said, don't accuse the in-game admin of negligence. Yes, they should have done something, but perhaps they were getting a status/ recording of that guy, or maybe... anything. Typically, when we (admins) are in the console, we are more prone to missing chat messages, because we aren't really paying attention to that.

Don't worry about questions, by the way, because questions help to ensure you DON'T do something wrong in the future. It's a good thing you asked them, frankly, because I've found in my teaching experience that if one person has a question, there are at least 5 others wanting to know the same thing. :)
 
Thanks Sox and Dread. I know you guys don't have all seeing eyes and can't catch everything. I also know that the admin menu tends to cause a focus there. In the past I've seen/heard pretty fresh admins fiddling around with the new admin menu trying to remember everything and I've seen the console when setting up simple binds or other such things and I know that a lot of stuff goes rushing past.

So yeah, thanks again for the answers.
 
Alright, so first of all, to answer your first question, I think it would be best to tell an admin if someone is swearing through teamchat, and not tell him to quiet down yourself. if it's in all chat, it goes without saying that you should let the admin handle it.

Typically, if someone tells me someone is swearing through teamchat, and I'm the only admin in the server, I tend to switch teams and just watch. This tends to calm people down, to know that an admin is watching them. This is also typically more effective than if an e yells at them.

As for reasonable time... It's a tough one. I will typically address problems as quickly as I can, but realize we can only type at a limited speed, and certain messages are long. for simple swearing, I know it's tough to do, but if an admin hasn't answered it in a minute or so, it's probably best to let it slide. The admin might have chosen to let it go (because everyone makes mistakes every once and a while) or the admin may not have seen it. If it only happens once, then it's probably not a problem.

However, if you see an admin ignoring someone blatantly swearing more than once, you need to ask them. Tell them in admin chat. If they don't respond to you, you should phone up another admin or even an advisor on steam (which all e's should have in their friends list).

Now, that said, don't accuse the in-game admin of negligence. Yes, they should have done something, but perhaps they were getting a status/ recording of that guy, or maybe... anything. Typically, when we (admins) are in the console, we are more prone to missing chat messages, because we aren't really paying attention to that.

Don't worry about questions, by the way, because questions help to ensure you DON'T do something wrong in the future. It's a good thing you asked them, frankly, because I've found in my teaching experience that if one person has a question, there are at least 5 others wanting to know the same thing. :)

QFT,
 
Dogma, not a problem.

I should add, if you ever want clarification on something like this, please feel free to PM me, or add me to steam friends. Admins are here not only to provide clean gaming, but also to answer any questions you have.

And I'm always ready and willing to answer those types of questions :)
 
Im an =(e)= I don't try to handle situations, if sum1 cusses, all i said is watch the language..;)
 
This happens in the CS:S division a lot too but everything works out in the end. But, please let the admin's do their job unless there aren't any on. To talk to an admin on any team privately, Press U (team chat), then type in @ then a space after the @ and then type in your message. So, it should looks like this: *Press U* @ Hey! *Press Enter*
As 5starAlphasnake said, "but first time try u@test"; please test it out the first time. It should look like this when you type it in: *Press U* @ Test. *Press Enter* ALL ADMIN'S ON THE CURRENT SERVER WILL BE ABLE TO SEE YOUR MESSAGE. You will not be able to see the message you wrote but the admin's will.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top