Being an admin in Zegz's opinion.

Zegz

Forum Fiend
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
715
Listen guys. When you get promoted to admin you have the responsibilites of upholding the server rules and that is what we expect you to do. What we DO NOT expect you to do is abuse your admin or seem like a jerk with it. And i have noticed that most admins in this clan follow the warn once kick once ban once guidelines. Do what you will. But in my opinion, being an admin is also about maturity and judgement of character. Generally when i am in a server, i rarely encounter trouble makers. The ones i do encouter are just bad seeds to begin with. but for the most part everyone behaves. And the way i accomplish this is not by saying stuff like " hey watch your language or you going to be kicked" or stuff like that. Saying stuff like that makes you seem like a jerk and abusive. I have had people who have cursed before and i tell them to watch their language, but it goes further than that. Like i said before its also about judgement of character. If you tell someone to watch their language and they tell you to shut up, then by all means kick them, but if the person is sorry and you get the feeling they really are sorry, you dont HAVE TO kick them. Use your discretion. Most of the regulars in our servers know me and trust me to admin the server is a responsible way. It also makes eGO look good when the admins are friendly and consider themselves to be just one of the regulars. eGO looks bad when admins just go around kicking and threatening people. So please guys. Whether you are an eG or have been eGO for a long time. Please be respectful to the players on our servers and use your discretion when you are admining the server. Remember, being an admin is also about judgement of character. There are alot of people out there who are good human beings who will slip up every once in a while but they mean no harm or foul to eGO. You dont HAVE TO kick these people.
 
Last edited:
I completely agreed. While admining on the arena server earlier today with "Haggis" we had several people on their last warning. Leeway was thin. We then had "Geno" say over the mic a swear followed up by saying that his life sucked.
Whilst I quickly filled out a kick "Haggis" politely re-told the server how language should be monitorred.
On the moment of clicking the kick something totally unexpected happened. Geno typed into the chatbox that he was sorry for his language and that it was totally unexeptable and he would not do it again.
It goes to show that by giving lee-way and a polite friendly warning instead of a threat can make a big change in the reaction you get. Always finish with please's and Thank You's when making requests and you'll find that more often than not you get a much better response.
 
I definitely agree. Even though I am not an admin as an e I still feel I have the right to ask people politely to stop their behavior usually something like "______ would you please watch your language on our servers? Thanks a ton! :D"

It's always good to be polite and calm as well as patient with others. Giving others respect goes a long way. If you ever encounter a really unruly disrespectful player don't lose your composure and simply call an admin into the room to help you out. Even after someone has been kicked when they rejoin it is usually good to explain to them that they were warned several times about their behavior and to politely ask them not to do it again. If you play hardball with players they tend to resent you and not respect them. We want to create an environment that is friendly and welcoming and yet safe. This is definitely the best way to preserve that fun and secure community!

Great post Zegz! 100% behind you all the way!

-Bubba
 
I agree completely.. Anger and force isn't needed to make a point.. just a simple would you kindly will work just as well for those that aren't stubborn
 
I usually give 2 warnings, I try to do anything before I actually kick because most people just want to play the game. You can tell if someone is going to be a trouble maker but most people, even if they do swear by mistake are good people who want to have fun. Remember to say please and be a friend, thats all! Try not to think of yourself as the controller of the server but the person who ensures everyone has fun.
 
I agree with everyone's post. It's pretty simple if you think about it. If you start a conversation with someone about their language by saying "Watch it or you'll be kicked". It right away starts off on the wrong foot. We don't know the person we are kicking, don't know if they have had a bad day, week or year. Being genuine in your first, second, and third is enough. A simple, "Watch your language please. Rules state no swearing". Leave it at that. See how they react. We all want people to play on our servers. It's a lot more fun than running around Dust2 by yourself. Remember when you were young and you could tell when your mom was mad at you by the tone that she used? Well it's the same with our servers. The people playing follow our lead. If we all play and lead by trying to set a positive example we will be able to get the "Turds" or "Bad Seeds" our quickly and more and more players that play on our server for the first time will ad us to their favorties and keep coming back.

Sorry, when I get thinking I don't know when to stop. Just my thoughts and opinions.
 
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt..

I am a newer admind, but i find my self to be fair, and always asking others for opinions before i make a decision.. I trust my self to make admin decisions that are best suited for the situation...
 
Just to add a bit... when you do kick someone you really should be using sm_kick so you can explain why. Instead of kicking with "Inappropriate name." I like to kick with "Your name does not follow our rules, please change it." which follows a final warning that includes HOW to change it (I like to include HOW because it prevents them from saying they didn't know how... and because I didn't know how until I went through admin school).

Being polite both in warnings and even in your kick usually makes all the difference in the world... a true trouble maker is easy to see when the response is rude to a polite request.
 
I'm not an admin but I've been in the shoes many times, While I never had to enforce any no swearing rule, there have been times where some admins would deal with people too soon or too harshly for a first time offense or accidental misunderstanding, Just remember that not everyone knows all the rules and honest mistakes do happen, I even let a word slip just earlier in the week before I even realized that eGO had a no swearing rule, I was warned, I said sorry, It's all good, I haven't and won't do it again, It's all Judge of Character basically... Some people are Honest, some are obvious, and some are in the middle, And the one thing that works for all three situations is being polite
 
Yup, no need to be harsh, try to make friends first, if they refuse, KILL THEM!!!
 
I definatly agree. I may not be an admin but when I am I plan to be careful when sorting out rule breakers.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top