From
Half-life script:
Scientist 6: "I'm afraid we'll be deviating a bit from standard
analysis procedures today, Gordon."
Scientist 7: "Yes, but with good reason. This is a rare opportunity for
us. This is the purest sample we've seen yet."
Scientist 6: "And, potentially, the most unstable."
Scientist 7: "Now, now, if you follow standard insertion procedure,
everything will be fine."
Scientist 6: "I don't know how you can say that. Although I will admit
that the possibility of a resonance cascade scenario is extremely
unlikely."
Scientist 7: "Gordon doesn't need to hear all this, he's a highly
trained professional. We've assured the administrator that nothing will
go wrong."
Scientist 6: "Ah...yes, you're right. Gordon, we have complete
confidence in you."
Scientist 7: "Well, go ahead. Let's let him in now."
The two scientists use retinal scanners to unlock the door, and Gordon
enters the test chamber. Inside, the scientists communicate with Gordon
over the intercom.
Intercom 1: (feedback)"Testing, testing. (coughs) Everything seems to
be in order."
Intercom 2: "All right, Gordon. your suit should keep you comfortable
through all this. The specimen will be delivered to you in a few
moments. If you would be so good as to climb up and start the rotors,
we can bring the anti-mass spectrometer to 80 percent and hold it there
until the carrier arrives.
Intercom 2: "Very good. We'll take it from here."
Intercom 1: "Power to stage 1 emitters in 3,2,1. I'm seeing predictable
phase arrays."
Intercom 1: "Stage 2 emitters activating...now."
Intercom 2: "Gordon, we cannot predict how long the system can operate
at this level, nor how long the readings will take. Please, work as
quickly as you can."
Intercom 1: "Overhead capacitors to one oh five percent.
Uh, it's
probably not a problem, probably, but I'm showing a small discrepancy
in... well, no, it's well within acceptable bounds again. Sustaining
sequence."
Intercom 2: "I've just been informed that the sample is ready, Gordon.
It should be coming up to you any moment now. Look to the delivery
system for your specimen."
Gordon pushes the cart into the machine. Electricity begins arcing out
of control all around the machine.
Intercom 1: "Oh dear!"
Intercom 2: "Gordon, get away from the-"
Intercom 1: "Shutting down-no, attempted shutdown. It's not-it's not,
it's not shutting down!"
A huge explosion rocks the spectrometer, and the intercom cuts off in a
scream. Gordon sees several flashes of an alien landscape, then comes
to in the wreckage of the machine. The next chapter title comes up:
UNFORESEEN CONSEQUENCES
Scientist 1: "Why didn't they listen? We tried to warn them."
Scientist 2:
"I never thought I'd see a resonance cascade, let alone
create one."
Scientist 1: "Gordon, you're alive! Thank God for that hazard suit. I'm
afraid to move him and all our phones are out. Please get to the
surface as soon as you can and let someone know we're stranded down
here. You'll need me to access the retinal scanners. I'm sure the rest
of the science team will gladly help you."
Guard: "Gordon! Man, am I glad to see you! What the hell are these
things? And why are they wearin science team uniforms?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since we are talking about doomsday machines and stuff I thought that this would fit really well here.